CMU Wall Repair - Masonry - Contractor Talk

CMU Wall Repair

Old 12-02-2008, 06:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

CMU Wall Repair

2 foot high curved retaining wall, 40' long, 3 CMU bricks high, set on a 4" deep footer, backfilled with dirt and grass top. Noticing 1 hairline crack 1/64" from foundation to top(follows the offset of the bricks) and obviously there is some minute movement at that point of the wall. I'm worried about the freeze/thaw cycle and that part of the wall crack progressing. What would be the procedure to stop it now? I'll excavate the dirt on the inside of the wall around the crack but how do i stop the progression. I'm pretty sur that it's not hydraulic, there was a drain placed at the bottom of the wall on the inside..... thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-02-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 1,460

Re: CMU Wall Repair

Going to need pictures at least.

Advertisement

Old 12-02-2008, 09:13 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 3,926

2' high? and a 1/64" crack in it. Ahhh, take 2 aspirin and call me in a couple years.
...and if it's not pressure from behind the wall I would call insufficient footing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2008, 10:49 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,960

You do not use 4" thick footings, let alone use dirt as a backfill.

You do not have "bricks", but have concrete block (CMUs) that are mortared and require a rigid footing and horizontal joint reinforcement.

The cause may br due to footing failure, bad backfill that cannot drain to the drain tile in the bottom or just the shape that causes forces to open up the joints.

Since you are concerned about freeze/thaw you must have cold weather that mat require a deeper and/or thicker footing. A 4" thick footing is pretty feeble.

You would have been better off using segmental retaining wall units (SRWs) where no mortar is permitted and a footing is not needed , required or permitted.

Without more information on the climate, soil and other factors it is difficult to do more than just guess. As TS said, photos would be a help to understand the situation.

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:21 PM   #5

Attached pic.
Attached Thumbnails
CMU wall repair-2001_0221_061045aa.jpg  
Old 12-04-2008, 04:23 PM   #6

You can see the crack starting right at the edge of the lilac bluestone. it was sealed last year to prevent water from entering the crack
Old 12-04-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Landscape contractor
Rewards Points: 422

That is one weird looking wall. Best to backfill with clean gravel and a drain pipe for the water to escape. Biggest mistake I see with retaining walls is not putting proper drainage behind it.

Advertisement