Chimney "Framing" Questions - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Chimney "Framing" Questions

Old 10-07-2019, 07:18 AM   #1

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 10

Chimney "Framing" Questions

I'm planning my chimney build for my new construction. It will be wood burning, exposed from the first floor through the roof (cathedral ceiling). My question is, does the Mason have some options on framing the structure? Can he use wood for the framing then use stone veneer, or does he need to cinder block it, then add stone veneer??

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 09:28 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 11,202

Re: Chimney "Framing" Questions

It all depends what you want.....an asset or a liability. If you want a fire trap liability,go with the wood .

Advertisement

Old 10-08-2019, 06:41 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 1,460

From the flue, unless it is a triple wall metal flue, code is generally 1" airspace 4" masonry wrap, from the slab to the cap.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tscarborough For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (10-11-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2019, 10:09 PM   #4
Renaissance Man

Trade: Masonry, Carpentry and everything else.
Rewards Points: 5,846

If it's a prefab unit, most today are double wall air cooled systems in which wood chases are built around and veneered in a number of different products.
Attached Thumbnails
Chimney "Framing" Questions-img_4348.jpg   Chimney "Framing" Questions-img_4345.jpg   Chimney "Framing" Questions-img_4351.jpg   Chimney "Framing" Questions-img_4354.jpg   Chimney "Framing" Questions-img_4357.jpg  

Chimney "Framing" Questions-buongiorno-643a.jpg   Chimney "Framing" Questions-buongiorno-702a.jpg   Chimney "Framing" Questions-buongiorno-765a.jpg   Chimney "Framing" Questions-buongiorno-793a.jpg   Chimney "Framing" Questions-buongiorno-802a.jpg  

Chimney "Framing" Questions-buongiorno-814.jpg  

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
Rio (10-19-2019), stuart45 (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 07:07 AM   #5

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by superseal View Post
If it's a prefab unit, most today are double wall air cooled systems in which wood chases are built around and veneered in a number of different products.
Thanks for the pictures. It sounds like wood is "acceptable" with the proper system. It does make me a bit nervous though using a wood box, maybe I'll look into metal studs and cement board, then veneer over that...
The Following User Says Thank You to vtboy51 For This Useful Post:
TimNJ (10-12-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 09:16 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 11,202

Is there no longer anything sacred in the construction arena in the United States ? Our houses are wrapped with plastic siding and our chimneys are made of wood; all in the eternal quest for the cheaper route.

When will our wood stoves be made of wood ? Or is that coming now that we have fire resistant plywood .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
dielectricunion (10-20-2019), Fouthgeneration (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 03:45 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,817

The colder the climate zone the more you'll increase fireplace efficiency with the chimney INSIDE the envelope, through added heat and thermal mass in the cooling and heating seasons....

An external chimney use less of the 200 $/sq.ft. floor plan...

Avoid a raised hearth as the space wasting Hack that it is. Maybe in a kitchen Fire place/oven.

A rafter frame roof and a ridge board might cause some issues...

Don't for get the out side air supply for the fire, and a gas pipe for an lighter and or gas log in the future....And the ash pit/foundation.

As indoor air pollution issues become more known, look to grade level furnace plumbing to be barred as hazards to the home dwellers long term health, roof mounted high efficiency exhaust pipes...

Earth Quake zones will need some rebar and some engineering especially two story homes and high pitch roofs.

If you insist on a Faux chimney made of wood structure, don't forget the fire blocking at every floor/ceiling level it passes by/through.

Last edited by Fouthgeneration; 10-11-2019 at 03:47 AM.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:52 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10,920

If it burns wood you need a footing and a chimney outta masonry. For it to be done right.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
fjn (10-20-2019)