Charcoal Coloring To Existing Stamped Concrete - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Charcoal Coloring To Existing Stamped Concrete

Old 06-21-2019, 10:01 PM   #1

Trade: mason

Charcoal Coloring To Existing Stamped Concrete

new to area folks need help. customer of mine continues to ask for charcoal color on existing stamped concrete/sealer to give the low points darker color. i told him it will fade with time but he insists....just add a sakrete pigmemt to water and soray on then seal?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-21-2019, 11:32 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,292

Re: Charcoal Coloring To Existing Stamped Concrete

maybe a concrete stain product...

sounds like a disaster in the making...

Advertisement

fjn (06-22-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 02:59 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,960

Using a charcoal material for concrete is a very bad idea. We made about 12,000,000 to16,000,000 concrete units annually. We used black iron oxide pigment for real permanent concrete products. We did make some landscape units for dealers with the understanding there was no guarantee on weathering and abrasion. I think the cost difference was about 40 to 60%.

We never, ever used a carbon based pigment for structural and/or architectural products.

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2019, 06:14 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 2,648

Either ask your supplier, or try asking at https://www.concretenetwork.com/
Old 06-23-2019, 08:46 AM   #5

thanks everyone, i just haven’t found a charcoal pigment coloring that you add to water, spray on, let it dry and seal over. they understand it’s temporary since in a year they will do a full stain if entire area once sealer is warn down.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:05 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Concrete & masonry
Rewards Points: 166

If you're looking for something that settles out and lays in the joints/deeper depressions, this is ticket:

https://www.butterfieldcolor.com/pro...tiquing-agent/

It has a cementitious component to it, so it works best on new, unsealed concrete.

We use this stuff almost exclusively, as we've given up on the mess that's created from shake-on powder releases.
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama For This Useful Post:
B.Johnson (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 02:52 PM   #7

thank you, this is exactly what am looking for but can it be applied to existing stamped concrete. There last person just pressure washed to clean, applied the water/color then let it dry then fresh seal. All water based. Will this do the trick?
Old 06-23-2019, 06:10 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 2,648

I think that you can add pigment to the sealer. Again, verify with your supplier.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:41 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Concrete/Masonry
Rewards Points: 400

It's called antiquing agent.

Brickform makes some (it's basically just pigment like any other concrete color additive)

Apply detergent to the slab then pressure wash it clean, keeping the slab wet mix up the pigment and apply it with a broom using a swirling motion. Once it's fully coated, go get some lunch and let it dry completely.

Come back and reseal with a high gloss sealer and it will be locked in.

Don't use a water based sealer, use the good stuff only. If it doesn't require a respirator when applying, it's not the good stuff.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:43 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Concrete/Masonry
Rewards Points: 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama View Post
If you're looking for something that settles out and lays in the joints/deeper depressions, this is ticket:

https://www.butterfieldcolor.com/pro...tiquing-agent/

It has a cementitious component to it, so it works best on new, unsealed concrete.

We use this stuff almost exclusively, as we've given up on the mess that's created from shake-on powder releases.
Same here, the dust is a huge mess, and can't be good for you.

Liquid release is the way to go for me. Adds a few steps the following day but totally worth it.

The only thing I like about the dust is how hydrophobic it is, you can generally start stamping a little earlier with it.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:45 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselCrete View Post
thank you, this is exactly what am looking for but can it be applied to existing stamped concrete.

Yes, it can be applied to existing concrete, it's actually a great way to bring old stamp work back to life. The issues is that the sealer has to be pretty much non-existent and worn away.

there last person just pressure washed to clean, applied the water/color then let it dry then fresh seal. All water based. Will this do the trick?
No, doesn't sound like it if it was just sealed, especially with WB sealer. The stuff won't bond and will likely just bead up on the surface. I personally wouldn't touch the patio with a 10' pole if it has water-based sealer on it. Far too much risk for so little reward. Move on and let somebody else own this PITA job...........
Old 06-23-2019, 09:47 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCB View Post
Same here, the dust is a huge mess, and can't be good for you.

Liquid release is the way to go for me. Adds a few steps the following day but totally worth it.

The only thing I like about the dust is how hydrophobic it is, you can generally start stamping a little earlier with it.
We still use the powder occasionally, out in the boonies where there's no neighbors, on little stuff. I actually think the powder does a better job of creating variation, naturally. Like you, I find the few downsides of the liquid to fall short of the benefits of the liquid clear release.

Advertisement