Building An Outdoor Fireplace - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Building An Outdoor Fireplace

Old 06-01-2020, 04:26 PM   #1

Trade: Plg & HVAC
Rewards Points: 2

Building An Outdoor Fireplace

Hi All,

We are building a see through outdoor fireplace that one side will be under a covered porch and the other side will be on a patio. Do I need a smoke shelf and damper? Or just build a throat out of terra Cotta to get to the flue liner?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-01-2020, 09:57 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,839

Re: Building An Outdoor Fireplace

Never have both sides open.....
run An "out side" air pipe to fire box/ash pit to increase heat efficiency.

Copy a two sided design YOU KNOW works...This isn't where you get to experiment.

Advertisement

Old 06-06-2020, 08:14 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 608

Re: Building An Outdoor Fireplace

I've built lots of outdoor fireplaces since moving to California almost twenty years ago. I've build a couple two sided as requested by owner or builder but don't recommend. The wind can blow right through and so , often not a nice fire to look at and not safe either.

A special damper is available for the two sided fireplaces. Though technically not needed outdoors for any fireplace, they are often used around here as they use a large, steel "form damper" that provides a kind of form for the smoke chamber and I guess help some people build a fireplace that will draw.
Dave