Building Inspector Wth??? - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Building Inspector Wth???

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
Pro
 
insane's Avatar
 
Trade: masonry
Join Date: May 2009
Location: RI
Posts: 204
Rewards Points: 239

Building Inspector Wth???


On my current project i am building a Rumford fireplace with a brick oven. I call the building inspector for a throat inspection. He shows up and asks
what a throat inspection is. WTF ???. Now it gets interesting. He says's he is not qualified to do a throat inspection and tells me i need a mechanical inspection from the mechanical inspector. He proceeds to ask me for the mechanical permit and my mechanical license. My reply, WHAT!!!. I hand him the building permit. I then ask him why we weren't informed of this when we applied for the permit. His answer; i don't know. I then inform him what a mechanical license is for. At this point he tells me he needs to call his office and leaves. Ten minutes later he returns to inform me that they will have a decision for me me by the end of the day. I just laughed and said OK.
Final result i call the state inspector. He informs me that the building inspector in that town is new, i am all set and continue working.

At this point i am still in disbelief.
Any other interesting inspector experiences ?

Tim
insane is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 03-07-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
Trailer park boy
 
shanekw1's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Castlegar, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,802
Rewards Points: 371

Re: Building Inspector Wth???


Was on a job once building a garage on a newly set up manufactured home. Submitted plans for a slab on grade garage with thickened edges, all was approved and permit issued. Spent a few days forming, packing, setting rebar, got it all ready to pour and call for the inspection. Inspector shows up and says everything is good, go ahead and pour.

Concrete truck shows up and we are just getting ready to pour when the inspector shows up again. Now he tells us that we can not build the garage on a slab, stop, shut it down, start over, it must be built on a footing and foundation wall to 42" deep.

Ummm, excuse me? The plans were submitted and approved by you. "Oh, I didn't see the grade on the plans, you must do it this other way."

Tell the HO the news that we just wasted a week for nothing and that the garage will now cost x amount more for footings and foundation. Well, that was the last day we saw of that job.

Advertisement

__________________
"Industry without art is brutality"

shanekw1 is offline  
Old 03-07-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
Sure, I can do that...
 
jlhaslip's Avatar
 
Trade: carpentry/renovations
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,893
Rewards Points: 196

Re: Building Inspector Wth???


Raising a Timber Frame that was pre-cut by a CNC machine.
The final step of the Pre-fab process is a final planing and sanding with a quick spray of sealer/finish.

Building Inspector shows up after 2 of the 5 Bents are raised and shuts us down because the Timbers don't have Grading Stamps on them showing that they are #2 or better. WTF???

We didn't ask if he wanted the pegs graded as well...

jlhaslip is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
Pro
 
stacker's Avatar
 
Trade: masonry
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: alva,oklahoma
Posts: 1,223
Rewards Points: 542

Re: Building Inspector Wth???


our local building inspector shut down the remodel of our pizza hut because they didnt provide certified plans.the contractor told him that they used the same plans in every city that they did this job in and they worked fine.didnt matter to ours.
a friend of mine installed a hot water heater in a house for another guy because the local plumbers had been dragging their feet on installing it.it was dead of winter,3 small children in the house and they had been without hot water for 2 weeks.after the install,my friend went and told the inspector about what was going on and why he did it.the inspector thanked him for his honesty.a week later he got a $400 fine for installing a water heater without a permit.
i could go on and on about our sh&^%y inspector.
__________________
life is short,do your masonry naked!!
http://ok.local.yahoo.biz/knabemasonry/index.html
stacker is offline  
Old 03-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
Maxi-Pier Tech
 
essrmo's Avatar
 
Trade: foundation specialist
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Riverside, Ca.
Posts: 570
Rewards Points: 810

Re: Building Inspector Wth???


Quote:
Originally Posted by insane View Post
On my current project i am building a Rumford fireplace with a brick oven. I call the building inspector for a throat inspection. He shows up and asks
what a throat inspection is. WTF ???. Now it gets interesting. He says's he is not qualified to do a throat inspection and tells me i need a mechanical inspection from the mechanical inspector. He proceeds to ask me for the mechanical permit and my mechanical license. My reply, WHAT!!!. I hand him the building permit. I then ask him why we weren't informed of this when we applied for the permit. His answer; i don't know. I then inform him what a mechanical license is for. At this point he tells me he needs to call his office and leaves. Ten minutes later he returns to inform me that they will have a decision for me me by the end of the day. I just laughed and said OK.
Final result i call the state inspector. He informs me that the building inspector in that town is new, i am all set and continue working.
yes you need a building permit, plus any other permits applicable, ie plumbing, electrical, mechanical etc. the GC can pull them or require the subs to get their own. new inspectors may still be wet behind the ears but will enforce to the letter of the law (if they want to keep their job) it's not their responsibility to teach you.
__________________
we're not in Kansas anymore Toto
essrmo is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to essrmo For This Useful Post:
sdkemp (07-18-2010)
Old 03-07-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
Pro
 
katoman's Avatar
 
Trade: carpenter
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kirkfield,Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,102
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Building Inspector Wth???


The building inspector that covers our area really knows his stuff. Rarely wrong on anything, and he checks everything.

Known him about 15 years now, and the standing joke is when he finds any little thing not to his liking I say "I can check you know".

He's usually right. But it's good to know that when he passes any job, it's been done right. Sure weeds out the hacks.

Oh, and he will stop and check for permits if he sees someone building.
katoman is offline  
Old 03-07-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
Pompass Ass
 
bwalley's Avatar
 
Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Plant City, Florida
Posts: 2,090
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Building Inspector Wth???


Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker View Post
our local building inspector shut down the remodel of our pizza hut because they didnt provide certified plans.the contractor told him that they used the same plans in every city that they did this job in and they worked fine.didnt matter to ours.
a friend of mine installed a hot water heater in a house for another guy because the local plumbers had been dragging their feet on installing it.it was dead of winter,3 small children in the house and they had been without hot water for 2 weeks.after the install,my friend went and told the inspector about what was going on and why he did it.the inspector thanked him for his honesty.a week later he got a $400 fine for installing a water heater without a permit.
i could go on and on about our sh&^%y inspector.
They could have called another plumber who was licensed.

I guess your friend should have kept his mouth shut about the previous plumber dragging his feet on an install.

What exactly did the inspector do that was sh&^%y?
bwalley is offline  
Old 03-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
Pro
 
lukachuki's Avatar
 
Trade: Customer Education & Development
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Aiken SC
Posts: 1,600
Rewards Points: 1,002

Re: Building Inspector Wth???


Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
They could have called another plumber who was licensed.

I guess your friend should have kept his mouth shut about the previous plumber dragging his feet on an install.

What exactly did the inspector do that was sh&^%y?
Here we go!

I take stackers side.
__________________
I'm a little mean, but I make up for it by bein' real healthy. Earnest T. Bass
lukachuki is offline  
Old 03-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #9
Pompass Ass
 
bwalley's Avatar
 
Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Plant City, Florida
Posts: 2,090
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Building Inspector Wth???


Quote:
Originally Posted by lukachuki View Post
Here we go!

I take stackers side.
One point is just because one plumber couldn't get it done quick enough doesn't mean they couldn't have hired another licensed plumber to do the job.

Another is since the guy who did it was unlicensed, what is the point of calling an Inspector and letting him know what happened?

Seems to me if you do a job illegaly, it is best not to draw attention to yourself.

And what is wrong with an inspector fining an unlicensed contractor?
bwalley is offline  
Old 03-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #10
Pro
 
insane's Avatar
 
Trade: masonry
Join Date: May 2009
Location: RI
Posts: 204
Rewards Points: 239

Re: Building Inspector Wth???


essrmo please read my original post.
insane is offline  
Old 03-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #11
Pro
 
katoman's Avatar
 
Trade: carpenter
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kirkfield,Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,102
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Building Inspector Wth???


Insane - I got ya, you are pointing out the newby inspector didn't know squat. Well, he's new. Give him some time and he'll learn.

You did nothing wrong at all. This thread is going sideways. They left you behind
katoman is offline  
Old 03-07-2010, 04:07 PM   #12
Capra aegagrus

 
Tinstaafl's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeler
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 23,246
Rewards Points: 1,559

Re: Building Inspector Wth???


Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
One point is just because one plumber couldn't get it done quick enough doesn't mean they couldn't have hired another licensed plumber to do the job.

Another is since the guy who did it was unlicensed, what is the point of calling an Inspector and letting him know what happened?

Seems to me if you do a job illegaly, it is best not to draw attention to yourself.

And what is wrong with an inspector fining an unlicensed contractor?
That's quite a bit of assuming there, Ralph. I don't see it stated anywhere that the guy was neither a plumber nor a licensed contractor. Nor that either is required in the OP's area. Nor that the guy even charged them for it.

As for "wrong", the letter of the law is not always the most moral resolution to a situation.
Tinstaafl is offline  
Old 03-08-2010, 11:31 PM   #13
Maxi-Pier Tech
 
essrmo's Avatar
 
Trade: foundation specialist
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Riverside, Ca.
Posts: 570
Rewards Points: 810
Arrow

Re: Building Inspector Wth???


Quote:
Originally Posted by insane View Post
On my current project i am building a Rumford fireplace with a brick oven. I call the building inspector for a throat inspection. He shows up and asks
what a throat inspection is. WTF ???. Now it gets interesting. He says's he is not qualified to do a throat inspection and tells me i need a mechanical inspection from the mechanical inspector. He proceeds to ask me for the mechanical permit and my mechanical license. My reply, WHAT!!!. I hand him the building permit. I then ask him why we weren't informed of this when we applied for the permit. His answer; i don't know. I then inform him what a mechanical license is for. At this point he tells me he needs to call his office and leaves. Ten minutes later he returns to inform me that they will have a decision for me me by the end of the day. I just laughed and said OK.
Final result i call the state inspector. He informs me that the building inspector in that town is new, i am all set and continue working.

At this point i am still in disbelief.
Any other interesting inspector experiences ?

Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by essrmo View Post
yes you need a building permit, plus any other permits applicable, ie plumbing, electrical, mechanical etc. the GC can pull them or require the subs to get their own. new inspectors may still be wet behind the ears but will enforce to the letter of the law (if they want to keep their job) it's not their responsibility to teach you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by insane View Post
essrmo please read my original post.
I see what you mean. Sorry Tim, my bad.
__________________
we're not in Kansas anymore Toto
essrmo is offline  
Old 03-10-2010, 09:10 PM   #14
Pro
 
stacker's Avatar
 
Trade: masonry
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: alva,oklahoma
Posts: 1,223
Rewards Points: 542

Re: Building Inspector Wth???


bwally,
you dont know anything about my hometown.at the time there were 2 plumbers in town.the ones mentioned and a semi retired man who only works on his old customers jobs.yes my friend should have kept his mouth shut and no one would have known,except for the fact that out inspector has called the lowes in enid oklahoma(70 miles away)and asked them to let him know of anyone from my hometown buying hot water heaters,and also our local lumber yard.he was told at our local that they would not call him.
the man was trying help out a family when they needed it.he didnt make a dime on the install and this is how he is rewarded?i could see it if he was making money off the deal.
i have another friend who was fined 1200 for plumbing his own house.he bought a house and was remodeling it for him and his family.but because he wasnt living in the house at the time,our inspector fined him.it was later thrown out.
what has our inspector done that was sh*&%y,how much time have you got?
he fined an electrican 3700.00 for no permit on our cities new hospital addition,even after he told them they did not need a permit.(they went down to get it,and was told they didnt need one)
threatened to stop work on the same job because the bricklayers wouldnt tear a wall down so he could count the screws in the drywall sheating.when the general took him inside and told him he could count them from there he found they were 7 screws short on a 40x15 wall.
threatened to have a slab torn up because he wasnt allowed to inspect the plumbing,even tho he was on vacation,and the man he left in charge inspected it and gave it a thumbs up.
how much more you want to hear about our inspector?
how about dilapidated houses?
he will pick on those with very little money and condem their property,while one of the local banks owns a building on our main highway in town,where the roof is collapasing and the block walls falling in,yet he says nothing to them.
before he was our inspector his job was filling potholes for the city.he was really qualified for the job.
__________________
life is short,do your masonry naked!!
http://ok.local.yahoo.biz/knabemasonry/index.html
stacker is offline  
Old 03-10-2010, 10:45 PM   #15
Pro
 
lukachuki's Avatar
 
Trade: Customer Education & Development
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Aiken SC
Posts: 1,600
Rewards Points: 1,002

Re: Building Inspector Wth???


Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker View Post
bwally,
you dont know anything about my hometown.at the time there were 2 plumbers in town.the ones mentioned and a semi retired man who only works on his old customers jobs.yes my friend should have kept his mouth shut and no one would have known,except for the fact that out inspector has called the lowes in enid oklahoma(70 miles away)and asked them to let him know of anyone from my hometown buying hot water heaters,and also our local lumber yard.he was told at our local that they would not call him.
the man was trying help out a family when they needed it.he didnt make a dime on the install and this is how he is rewarded?i could see it if he was making money off the deal.
i have another friend who was fined 1200 for plumbing his own house.he bought a house and was remodeling it for him and his family.but because he wasnt living in the house at the time,our inspector fined him.it was later thrown out.
what has our inspector done that was sh*&%y,how much time have you got?
he fined an electrican 3700.00 for no permit on our cities new hospital addition,even after he told them they did not need a permit.(they went down to get it,and was told they didnt need one)
threatened to stop work on the same job because the bricklayers wouldnt tear a wall down so he could count the screws in the drywall sheating.when the general took him inside and told him he could count them from there he found they were 7 screws short on a 40x15 wall.
threatened to have a slab torn up because he wasnt allowed to inspect the plumbing,even tho he was on vacation,and the man he left in charge inspected it and gave it a thumbs up.
how much more you want to hear about our inspector?
how about dilapidated houses?
he will pick on those with very little money and condem their property,while one of the local banks owns a building on our main highway in town,where the roof is collapasing and the block walls falling in,yet he says nothing to them.
before he was our inspector his job was filling potholes for the city.he was really qualified for the job.
you have a gem.....treasure the him for who he is!
__________________
I'm a little mean, but I make up for it by bein' real healthy. Earnest T. Bass
lukachuki is offline  
Old 03-11-2010, 06:29 AM   #16
Money Changer
 
bert0168's Avatar
 
Trade: Residential Remodeling
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 804
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Building Inspector Wth???


Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker View Post
bwally,
you dont know anything about my hometown.at the time there were 2 plumbers in town.the ones mentioned and a semi retired man who only works on his old customers jobs.yes my friend should have kept his mouth shut and no one would have known,except for the fact that out inspector has called the lowes in Enid Oklahoma(70 miles away)and asked them to let him know of anyone from my hometown buying hot water heaters,and also our local lumber yard.he was told at our local that they would not call him.
the man was trying help out a family when they needed it.he didn't make a dime on the install and this is how he is rewarded?i could see it if he was making money off the deal.
i have another friend who was fined 1200 for plumbing his own house.he bought a house and was remodeling it for him and his family.but because he wasnt living in the house at the time,our inspector fined him.it was later thrown out.
what has our inspector done that was sh*&%y,how much time have you got?
he fined an electrician 3700.00 for no permit on our cities new hospital addition,even after he told them they did not need a permit.(they went down to get it,and was told they didn't need one)
threatened to stop work on the same job because the bricklayers wouldn't tear a wall down so he could count the screws in the drywall sheathing.when the general took him inside and told him he could count them from there he found they were 7 screws short on a 40x15 wall.
threatened to have a slab torn up because he wasn't allowed to inspect the plumbing,even tho he was on vacation,and the man he left in charge inspected it and gave it a thumbs up.
how much more you want to hear about our inspector?
how about dilapidated houses?
he will pick on those with very little money and condemn their property,while one of the local banks owns a building on our main highway in town,where the roof is collapsing and the block walls falling in,yet he says nothing to them.
before he was our inspector his job was filling potholes for the city.he was really qualified for the job.

Let me guess, short guy with a Napoleon complex?
bert0168 is offline  
Old 03-11-2010, 06:52 AM   #17
Pro
 
Joasis's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hennessey, Oklahoma
Posts: 9,382
Rewards Points: 4,900

Re: Building Inspector Wth???


I hope stacker, that the home I may get to build in your town is outside city limits, or I would probably be seeing the inside of your local courthouse.

There is nothing, and I mean nothing wrong with an inspector doing his job to the best of his ability. It is another matter when a jerk occupies the job, and forgets the the concept of what he is really doing. it is a wonder he hasn't needed a trip to the ER for the damages from an ass kicking.
__________________
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
405 853 1563

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Joasis is offline  
Old 03-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #18
Pro
 
stacker's Avatar
 
Trade: masonry
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: alva,oklahoma
Posts: 1,223
Rewards Points: 542

Re: Building Inspector Wth???


Quote:
Originally Posted by joasis View Post
I hope stacker, that the home I may get to build in your town is outside city limits, or I would probably be seeing the inside of your local courthouse.

it is a wonder he hasn't needed a trip to the ER for the damages from an ass kicking.
funny you should mention that.he did go to a man's house and try to force his way in so he could take pictures of his bathroom plumbing.the man doing the work was totally in the wrong on this one,he was not a licensed plumber,so he shouldnt have been doing the work.anywho,he took tim's camera away from him and threatened to shove it up his .after that incident he tried to get
the city council to let him carry a gun.the didnt let him,but now when he feels there is going to be trouble he calls the cops to go with him.
and talk about stuff going to his head,he even went out and bought his own little badge that he wears on his belt like the sheriff does!

i am pretty sure the house that you might be building will be out of city limits.
__________________
life is short,do your masonry naked!!
http://ok.local.yahoo.biz/knabemasonry/index.html
stacker is offline  
Old 03-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #19
Pro
 
katoman's Avatar
 
Trade: carpenter
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kirkfield,Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,102
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Building Inspector Wth???


Some years ago now, we were framing on a subdivision, and the inspector would show up fairly regularily. He didn't have the best people skills, but for us was no problem. He could see our hard hats, and we would simply hit our toes with our hammers so he could see we had steel toes.

So a couple weeks later, he shows up with a hammer, and starts kinda sneaking up on guys, wacking their toes with the hammer, checking for the steel toes.

You guessed it, snuck up on a bricklayer who was about 4 feet off the ground on scaffolding. No steel toes. Bricky screams out in pain, throws his trowel, jumps off the scaffold, and punches the inspectors lights out.

Only felt guilty about that for about 10 minutes. I still laugh about that when I think of it. Thanks for the reminder.
katoman is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to katoman For This Useful Post:
Dustyrose (07-20-2010)
Old 03-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #20
Pro
 
Joasis's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hennessey, Oklahoma
Posts: 9,382
Rewards Points: 4,900

Re: Building Inspector Wth???


Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker View Post

i am pretty sure the house that you might be building will be out of city limits.
I heard from the potential customer a few weeks back, and they said on hold until they get their current home sold. So, if they do, and I do, then we will get to work together on one.



BTW, a building inspector trying to force his way into a private residence? I believe that would be a criminal offense with consequences greater then the "crime" he was trying to document.

So how is it this clown keeps his job?

BTW, I have heard of your legendary inspector before. He is pretty famous for us to hear about him in the Enid area.

Advertisement

__________________
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
405 853 1563

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Joasis is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pole Barns...where to get literature on building IHI Carpentry 11 01-07-2013 10:59 AM
best book for stick building roofs JT Wood Framing 33 01-11-2011 06:41 PM
Green Building Addendum monticellohomes Business 0 03-02-2010 01:36 PM
Demolition Specifications for Old Brick Building Bill Z Excavation & Site Work 4 01-15-2010 09:42 AM
Need help with a shocking outside waterspout Badoish Electrical 23 12-27-2008 04:18 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?