Brick Steps - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Brick Steps

Old 01-28-2009, 11:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Brick Steps

I need a good link or reference on how to build brick steps leading downward to a patio; width about six feet. Thanks for any help.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-29-2009, 08:08 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 1,460

Re: Brick Steps

Call your local masonry contractor.

Advertisement

Old 01-29-2009, 08:16 AM   #3
Fentoozler

Trade: Professional Pie and Pastry Taster
Rewards Points: 2,000

I thought home inspectors knew everything

The UD is quite possibly man kinds finest accomplishment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
Chief outhouse engineer

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 786

southland

Welcome to CT, you will get a lot more respect if you introduce yourself and ask a little more specific questions. What I do for brick steps may not work for you.

There is a function called thread search, you may be familiar with it. Try typing in brick step and you should be able to find what you need.
2. Repeat as often as needed.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 3,926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Call your local masonry contractor.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: One on top of Two
Rewards Points: 570

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic View Post
I thought home inspectors knew everything

They do, just ask them
Old 01-30-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: general building and masonry
Rewards Points: 500

Pay no attention to these guys.
To build brick steps...
1. First determine how many brick are needed. In this case you need enough to go 6 feet wide. Determine the number of brick in a running foot and multiply by 6. If there's 3 to a foot that would be 6x3=18. If there's 4 to a foot you need 4x6=24. You would need either 18 or 24 brick. If you went 2 brick deep on the step you would need 18x2 or 24x2. In that case 36 brick would be needed or 48 would be needed. If you went 3 brick deep on the step you would need 18x3 which would be 54 or you would need 24x3 resulting in 72 brick being needed. You may only decide to go 1.5 brick deep.18x1.5=27 or 24x1.5= 36 resulting in a savings of 9 brick as compared to going 2 brick deep or 12 brick if going 4 brick to a foot. Here's where it gets good. By going 1.5 brick deep you'd be saving 27 brick or even 36 brick when compared to going 3 deep. Next determine how many steps you want. If you have a thousand steps it's going to take a lot more brick than if you have only 1 step. Oops... dinners waiting. I'll give you all the rest of the secrets later.
The Following User Says Thank You to tkle For This Useful Post:
lukachuki (01-31-2009)
Old 01-30-2009, 10:21 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: One on top of Two
Rewards Points: 570

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkle View Post
To build brick steps...
1. First determine how many brick are needed. In this case you need enough to go 6 feet wide. Determine the number of brick in a running foot and multiply by 6. If there's 3 to a foot that would be 6x3=18. If there's 4 to a foot you need 4x6=24. You would need either 18 or 24 brick. If you went 2 brick deep on the step you would need 18x2 or 24x2. In that case 36 brick would be needed or 48 would be needed. If you went 3 brick deep on the step you would need 18x3 which would be 54 or you would need 24x3 resulting in 72 brick being needed. You may only decide to go 1.5 brick deep.18x1.5=27 or 24x1.5= 36 resulting in a savings of 9 brick as compared to going 2 brick deep or 12 brick if going 4 brick to a foot. Here's where it gets good. By going 1.5 brick deep you'd be saving 27 brick or even 36 brick when compared to going 3 deep. Next determine how many steps you want. If you have a thousand steps it's going to take a lot more brick than if you have only 1 step. Oops... dinners waiting. I'll give you all the rest of the secrets later.

Geez....I'm surprised you didn't give him the secret stair mortar formulas while you were at it......
Old 01-31-2009, 12:14 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Customer Education & Development
Rewards Points: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkle View Post
To build brick steps...
Wow how helpful!!! This should win the best post of the day award!

Advertisement