Boman Kemp Window Well Installation Question - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Boman Kemp Window Well Installation Question

Old 03-02-2020, 07:27 PM   #1

Trade: Home builder
Rewards Points: 8

Boman Kemp Window Well Installation Question

I have installed these window well systems a hundred times on to their window bucks. Pretty simple, pop out the screws, add some washers and tighten up to the buck/foundation.

Anyways, the homeowner is complaining because there is a slight backslope and his well cover holds some water. At best the window well will set level. He is saying that it wasnt installed properly although you can clearly see the well flanges tight against the window buck. The guy thinks hes a "know it all" and has been a PITA. I have taken care of any issues hes had and want him to be happy. Ive explained to him how these are installed and that it is done per manufacturers instructions, but he still says that it needs to slope away from the house. How should i handle this situation professionally?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-02-2020, 11:34 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,839

Re: Boman Kemp Window Well Installation Question

Dig it up and add some treated lumber wedge shaped spacers between the basement and window well, to make the window well top out of level for drainage.

Next time check the buck for plumb?

Advertisement

Old 03-03-2020, 07:33 AM   #3

Im not the foundation contractor but walls and bucks are plumb. It is the brick textured poured walls so there is lippage from concrete to the buck. We could wedge the top out but that would leave a gap causing the backfill soil to wash into the well, creating an actual problem.

If I were to do anything, it would be to require the homeowner to buy the actual cover made by boman kemp. If that wouldnt rectify the problem, then shim the back of the cover to get a slope. Hes not happy because his universal cover from home cheapo holds a little puddle of water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2020, 07:41 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Essential Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 19,455

We have one of those for our basement egress. It doesn't have a tapered edge, so water catches on ours just the same. (The plastic lid is designed with a slight fall, but it's not very effective.)

I suppose someone could grind it down, but then they'd complain about how it looks...or someone would get cut up down the road.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:39 AM   #5

Im going to try and contact the rep for our area to see what he thinks. Quite honestly weve always bolted of them up and backfilled them and never really thought much about needing to have a slight slope. Ours has a back slope as well and it was done by someone else
Old 03-03-2020, 05:30 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,839

Plastic lid? bend hinge so it is higher in center, glue on SOFT tampered gasket, after raisin lid.

Next time fur out buck so its is proud and well can be gravity drained, or grind concrete plumb below buck where crete is forcing the well to lean toward home.

Much easier to fill voids then grind crete. IMHO

Low bid = lower quality, explain kindly how owners choices created Problem.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:08 AM   #7

So i talked to the rep from boman-kemp rep and sent him a picture that the homeowner sent to me with a level on it. It shows maybe a quarter of the bubble out of level. He said it is within their specs and tolerances and told the homeowners to contact them if they have further questions or issues.

Bottom line here is that the homeowner is just playing hardball. I just havent had to deal with many of these situations and have very little patience for people who think they know better than me when they have no kind of construction experience whatsoever.

Advertisement