Bluestone Sealant - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Bluestone Sealant

Old 06-18-2020, 04:34 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Building and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,248

Bluestone Sealant

How long should bluestone with a mortar joint be left before applying sealant? And which sealant do you recommend? (New England)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-18-2020, 05:25 AM   #2
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,776

Re: Bluestone Sealant

Bluestone, in general, doesn't require sealant, frankly speaking, its one of the easiest surfaces to maintain using only brush and water, unless you have bad staining you can use a TSP cleaner.

Advertisement

JonM (06-20-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 07:51 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 5,338

Customer has brand new bluestone patio and it was sealed 2weeks after install and after all mortar residue was cleaned off. The guy used a garden sprayer, the 5 gal container just said masonry sealer with a number on it. He also used it on the outside fireplace. You can not even tell it was sealed, it cleans off just with a hose. They entertain a lot and have kids who drop food everywhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to rrk For This Useful Post:
JonM (06-20-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2020, 09:46 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: GC carpenter
Rewards Points: 8

Like Greg said I don’t think blue stone gets sealed. As I’ve stated before the best product to use for cleaning masonry, vinyl etc. is Jomax. 20 bucks a gallon @ Cheapo’s. I’ve used it on paint jobs & after applying cleans up so well people delayed the paint until later. Use as directed. Spray on w/pump sprayer rinse after 5 minutes. Use it on my brick as it can tend to get mildew in the shade. Best product I’ve used.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kingcarpenter1 For This Useful Post:
JonM (06-20-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 04:03 PM   #5

Trade: Masonry

Personally I do not recommend sealing bluestone, bluestone is fairly porous and has a tendency to fracture when exposed to freezing and thawing. By sealing the material, it inhibits the stones ability to wick any internal moisture and evaporate that permeates the sealant. This will make it far more likely to degrade the stone rapidly. At the same time it all comes down to the client and what their wants are for a project, I’d recommend stating some sort of disclaimer to the client in order to cover yourself on issues down the line. If they choose to apply a sealant still you have provided yourself a buffer.
The Following User Says Thank You to BluestoneMason For This Useful Post:
JonM (06-25-2020)