Block Foundation Seepage - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Block Foundation Seepage

Old 03-04-2018, 09:24 AM   #1

Trade: Carpentry/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 68

Block Foundation Seepage

Hey guys,

We just bought a new home. We are in Wisconsin, and it has a block wall foundation.

We've only been here a few weeks, but there has been some water leaking through the blocks on the only inside corner of the foundation. Yesterday I punched a couple holes in the blocks to drain some water, and relieve the pressure. I sealed up the blocks right way with hydraulic cement. This worked pretty well. But there is still some minor seepage right at the wall/floor joint in 2 spots. One is at the corner, the other is about 2 feet away.

Any suggestions for sealing this up the rest of the way. I want to finish the basement this summer, but need to get this fixed completely before doing so.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-04-2018, 11:14 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 9,748

Re: Block Foundation Seepage

Here are things to check,some are mandated by building codes. Soils should slope from building a minimum of 6" in first 10 '. Siding should be a minimum of 6" from existing grade,brick 4". Foundation should have more than a thin coat of spray tar as damp proofing. My go to product is Platon. There should be a 4" drain pipe 6" below top of interior floor slab (preferably SDR 35 covered in sock,well drained back fill ,either crushed stone or coarse sand.

Without the above systems in place,you will fight water issues til the cows come home.

Advertisement

Old 03-04-2018, 11:37 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 9,748

Here you go.

http://www.jlconline.com/videos/foun...6325841595919c

Old 03-04-2018, 01:54 PM   #4
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 7,710

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysdad View Post
Hey guys,

We just bought a new home. We are in Wisconsin, and it has a block wall foundation.

We've only been here a few weeks, but there has been some water leaking through the blocks on the only inside corner of the foundation. Yesterday I punched a couple holes in the blocks to drain some water, and relieve the pressure. I sealed up the blocks right way with hydraulic cement. This worked pretty well. But there is still some minor seepage right at the wall/floor joint in 2 spots. One is at the corner, the other is about 2 feet away.

Any suggestions for sealing this up the rest of the way. I want to finish the basement this summer, but need to get this fixed completely before doing so.
Did a job for someone a while back with the same issue. Cut the slab, installed PVC to allow by-pass under the slab, no more water issues even after a 2-day downpour.
Attached Thumbnails
Block foundation seepage-drainage-_1.jpg   Block foundation seepage-drainage-_3.jpg   Block foundation seepage-drainage-_4.jpg  
Fouthgeneration (03-11-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 04:14 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 6,736

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn View Post

I agree this is the only way to fix it...If you have a mini excavator digging the exterior foundation is relatively easy provided you don’t have a lot of obstructions around the house

I have the same thing, a 1950s house with a block foundation with absolutely no water or damp proofing and tons of water seepage. This summer my plan is to excavate the soil around the foundation and fix it right...leaky basements suck big time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Windycity For This Useful Post:
fjn (03-04-2018)