Ambitious Mason Seeking Direction & Help - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Ambitious Mason Seeking Direction & Help

Old 01-22-2013, 01:14 AM   #1

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10

Ambitious Mason Seeking Direction & Help

Hello everyone, my name is Luis, and I am a Mason. I want to start off with a little about myself. I'm 21, I live in Miami FL, I was certified as a Mason on 10/2/12. My journey started last year at Carl D. Perkins Job Corps in Prestonsburg KY where I learned as much as Possible from Tim Rowland my instructor and a Mason for 20 years. I was lost before I went to Job corps but left with a purpose and a dream and I will relentlessly pursue it no matter what, because I feel that God put me there for a reason, and I feel that the Lord has blessed me because I picked up way faster than any other student that was there, I lay pretty damn fast for a beginner and the quality of my work is right on.I have never taken such interest in something like I did in Masonry, and I know the Lord is the reason why.

I am now wanting to start my own masonry business. I'm trying to figure out what I need to do in order to start my own business, I want to do all aspects of it, from decorative masonry to block laying building houses. Since I live in Florida I'm trying to figure out what exactly do I need in order to bid on projects building commercial and residential buildings, do I need any type of licenses? my goal is to be a sub contractor as I want to do the jobs myself. I'd like to find out where do people find projects to bid on is there some place I have to go in person or is it on the internet? what is it that I have to do?

So I really Have two questions:
1. In order to be a sub contractor do I need any licenses in the state of Florida in order to build houses and or commercial buildings?

2.Where do I find projects to bid on in my state preferably my city too.

Any information would really be appreciated, thank you.

Last edited by LuisArroyo; 01-22-2013 at 01:17 AM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 01:22 AM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 394

Re: Ambitious Mason Seeking Direction & Help

Luis,

If I recall LicenseGuru has contacts in Florida.

I admire your ambition, but at 21 years old, stay away from commercial work for awhile. It is very cut throat & you will have to carry the job 60-90 days.

The BEST thing you can do is go to school and take some basic business courses. Marketing/Advertising, accounting, tax law, labor law, contract law, state lien law etc etc....

Most guys don't fail due to trade knowledge....most fail due to a TOTAL lack of any business knowledge.

Read this:http://www.contractortalk.com/f16/pr...uccess-122452/

Advertisement

2low4nh (01-22-2013), ArtisanRemod (01-22-2013), brickhook (01-22-2013), fjn (01-22-2013), LuisArroyo (01-22-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 01:26 AM   #3

Thank you for your quick reply and time, very helpful, and I am looking into going to college for what you stated, I believe 2 years in college will be priceless. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 01:28 AM   #4
Chief outhouse engineer

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 786

Welcome to CT Luis!

Congrats on taking the initiative to complete a masonry course and finding what you want to do in your life.

I would suggest you find a job that you can hone your skills and learn some of the basics of layout and design. (I know you got it all figured out already, but who knows...there might be something you forgot since school wrapped up...)

While it isn't rocket science, masonry is a skill that takes years of practice to be able to complete the job and have it look right.

Florida is a land of cheap labor, so be prepared to eat a lot of rice for a while.
2. Repeat as often as needed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakzaag For This Useful Post:
brickhook (01-22-2013), LuisArroyo (01-22-2013), stacker (01-23-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 626

you need to work in the field a while before going out on your own. It isn't just hand skills you need to develop, it's all the logistics of working a job and running a job.

Ambition is good, but if you don't have the necessary background you'll end up frustrated. School and the real world are very different places, no amount of schooling can make up for the real deal

Good luck
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dom-mas For This Useful Post:
brickhook (01-22-2013), fjn (01-22-2013), LuisArroyo (01-22-2013), stacker (01-23-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Environmental Contracting, General Contracting
Rewards Points: 150

Luis,

If you are really dedicated on getting into the business by yourself. Be ready for 3-4 years of living by the skin of your teeth. I am currently 29. Started in general contracting at 23 and decided I would start small with handyman small remodel jobs. The only reason I was able to hold my business together for the first 3 years is I have a BA in Business management. There are so many growing pains starting out, pricing jobs is a nightmare until you do it for awhile. Keep your overhead razor thin to start. only buy what you essentially need, and if its bigger equipment rent it, for now. Even though you will need it down the road, until you can save enough capital always rent and figure it into the quote. I learned that the hard way, and that set me back at least a year. I was able to establish myself enough to keep the doors open through the recession, and now things are starting to pick up heading into the spring. I would also recommend finding a Niche in your industry and get to be the best in your area at it. This will be your marketing advantage over your competition and people will pay for the best.
The Following User Says Thank You to PARENOS For This Useful Post:
LuisArroyo (01-22-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #7

Thanks for your input everyone I'm taking it all in
Old 01-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
Nest Home Improvement

Trade: Home improvement simplified!
Rewards Points: 518

Best of luck to you. Keep reading the pages on this site. Many good tips.

Serving the home improvement needs of the Triangle www.NestHomeImprovement.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carolinahandyma For This Useful Post:
bricklayermason (01-26-2013), LuisArroyo (01-23-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
Pro

Rewards Points: 10,850

Did you look over the requirements on the DBPR website?

Starting a company to block up houses is a tall task. It cost me 35k a year in comp, 15k a year in liability just to keep the doors open.

You could use a payroll leasing company to pay as you go with the comp, but if your not busy they will drop you.

At 21 I think you need another 5 years of exp. under your belt.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
LuisArroyo (01-23-2013), Rock Headed (01-24-2013), stacker (01-23-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #10
Pro

Rewards Points: 258

Luis,
Schooling is a plus, so is time in the field, working with others and just plain apprenticing. I spent ten years learning and only went off on my own 'cause I was offered a swell project that I couldn't say no to. I still struggle with the business end and I thank my lucky stars that my wife is the consummate bookkeeper or I'd be in a world of ... Oh to be 21 again! The world is your oyster, take time to learn the trade. You'll be a better mason and probably more successful in the long run.

D.
The Following User Says Thank You to raskolnikov For This Useful Post:
LuisArroyo (01-23-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #11
Pro

JBM,
Nice even 2,000 on that one. Sweet!

D.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raskolnikov For This Useful Post:
JBM (01-22-2013), LuisArroyo (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #12
Pro

Rewards Points: 542

if i were in your shoes i would find a job working for another mason and hone my skills.do some brown nosing with the boss and work up to having him let you do some of his smaller jobs,while still on his paycheck.if he nixes this idea ask him how he feels about you doing sidework on the weekends.repairs,small room addititions(2-3 thousand brick).if he agrees then rent a mixer for those side jobs,save your money and keep an eye out for equipment.surplus auction sites have some good equipment on the cheap now and then.
you are looking at a pile of money to start out on your own.mixer,bricksaw,scaffolding,veneer jacks,mud boards and stands,corner poles,truck,trailers.....it goes on and on.
good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to stacker For This Useful Post:
LuisArroyo (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #13

Thanks everyone I really appreciate the info, I spoke to this guy today and he told me to call him on monday, he's a contractor so, it seems promising, I'll just keep calling until I get a break, and ill show him im interested and really want to work
Old 01-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #14
Pro

Luis,
Great attitude, you'll do well.

D.
The Following User Says Thank You to raskolnikov For This Useful Post:
LuisArroyo (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #15

Trade: Division 4

Read my story before you make the leap. Its a tough game especially when starting out. My advice having tried to build a masonry company and had many sucess and a few failures is to work in the feild for the best company you can get on with. Theres alot more to it than laying brick. Its a whole new ballgame contracting.

http://www.contractortalk.com/f11/co...stress-129563/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brickprick For This Useful Post:
bricklayermason (01-26-2013), LuisArroyo (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #16

^ I read your story, I definitely will keep all that in mind.

Advertisement