Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Alternatives to Stucco?

26K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  ilbrickmason 
#1 ·
Are there any alternatives to Stucco that can be used in humid climates? I build monument signs in the Michigan area and have strayed away from stucco. I've heard that it would not hold up in this environment. Is there a synthetic alternative that I could use?

Thanks,
Kris

#4 ·
dryvit

like tscar said there are synthetics like dryvit on the market,.you apply it over styrofoam using a grey base coat about 1/16 in thick and the finish coat is 1/16 thick.it seems to me it would hold up to humid conditons just as good as stucco.the draw back i see is hail or rocks or a kid kicking the wall will damage it.you can apply the finish coat over a stuccoed brown coat.then you have the strength.also there is shurewall out there,which is a dry cement product mixed with fiberglass strands.it is mainly used for dry stacking block.i just applied 1000 sq ft of this product over block to give it a stucco look.i applied it about 1/8 thick and used a rubber float to finish it out.there was some small gravel in the mix and when using the rubber float,it gave it a worm hole look.it goes on quick,i applied 1000 feet in just over 8 hours.taking plenty of smoke breaks to rest my arm.
also 6string has a good point about fla.they use a boat load of stucco down there and im quite sure its more humid there than in mich.

where you been 6?working you too hard?

#5 ·
I'm in FL and stucco rules around here. 50% humidity is really dry, 80% is pretty normal.

A quicky search indicates that you have about half of our annual rainfall and don't get it blasted into your homes at 100 MPH. I'd say that your safe except for that freezing thing that y'all got going up there. I can't help you with that part.

#6 ·
stacker said:
where you been 6?working you too hard?
Actually I havent been working enough.:sad: :sad: I think I feel guilty coming here. I do have two houses Im waitin on to get the roof on and windows put in. Then I will be back in business. Its been a slow spring up here and its gettin pretty old. I guy can only do so much lawn work ya know?:blink: :blink:

#7 ·
come on to oklahoma

hey string come on over to oklahoma ill put ya to work for a bit.i have a small 10000 brick house going right now,an 11000 sq ft home with stucco and phoney stone,a 30x30 bathroom 8 inch block,moving that memorial wall,rebuilding of a crypt at the cemetary(that is creepy)small additon on a house,and i had a guy call about bricking a 10000 sq ft house he is building.and its just me and my laborer.:eek:
i doubt i could pay you enough for the trip tho.:rolleyes:
i spent about 2 hours of my day fishing with my son on the job.the house im on now is on the salt plains wildlife refuge.they have a kids pond about 150 yards from the house.deer everywhere you look,turkey you name it.
good luck string,it will pick up as soon as bush is out of office.:whistling

#9 ·
stacker said:
hey string come on over to oklahoma ill put ya to work for a bit.i have a small 10000 brick house going right now,an 11000 sq ft home with stucco and phoney stone,a 30x30 bathroom 8 inch block,moving that memorial wall,rebuilding of a crypt at the cemetary(that is creepy)small additon on a house,and i had a guy call about bricking a 10000 sq ft house he is building.and its just me and my laborer.:eek:
i doubt i could pay you enough for the trip tho.:rolleyes:
i spent about 2 hours of my day fishing with my son on the job.the house im on now is on the salt plains wildlife refuge.they have a kids pond about 150 yards from the house.deer everywhere you look,turkey you name it.
good luck string,it will pick up as soon as bush is out of office.:whistling
LOL! Thanks stacker. If gas wasnt so high I'd pack up the dually and take ya up on your offer. Ive got a couple things on the burner, but the down time kills me. Thank God the wife has a job. Someday she'll be able to sit home while Im off working everyday. And she lets me know it.:w00t: :w00t:

#10 ·
take care of her

string take care of the little women.i had one who pissed and moaned if i was off work for 2 days because it was cold or raining.she thought i should go find a job at wal mart on days i couldnt work.she never got it thru her head that wal mart wouldnt let me work only on days it was cold or rainy.so she devorced me and married a CARPENTER!!!!lol now she pays all the bills while he sits on his azz and drinks beer and smokes a few j's a day.:blink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.