20 Ton Tree Landed On A Customer's House - Masonry - Contractor Talk

20 Ton Tree Landed On A Customer's House

Old 07-03-2019, 08:41 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: roofing and other envied trades
Rewards Points: 1,278

20 Ton Tree Landed On A Customer's House

I'm not a Mason nor do I know anything about masonry but I think I know enough to say that repointing the bricks on a house that got crushed by a tree probably isn't the correct fix. We had to get a crane to get the tree off of the house and when we were doing that, the brick wall on the first floor was moving around quite a bit. Before the crane, after the tree collapsed, I was inspecting the property and noticed that the brick wall had brakes all over the place in the mortar lines. While I was standing out front talking to the customer we kept hearing loud pops, like 2x4s were breaking from the all the weight on the house. The 2nd floor is siding but the first is brick. The tree smashed all thru the 2nd floor and laid across the roof covering probably 40 squares of shingles. Is it possible that some of the framing behind the brick wall is broken as well?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rsjgav92b...NSaaNiLia?dl=0

It was hard to encompass the whole thing in pictures. It was way worse than it looks in photos
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madrina For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (07-05-2019), Fouthgeneration (07-05-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-03-2019, 09:15 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 10,686

Re: 20 Ton Tree Landed On A Customer's House

Probably the least intrusive way to investigate the areas of concern would be to pop the drywall off in those areas. With the glass still intact,I would say the framing may have fared pretty good. But that is conjecture on my part. You will just have to have a looks see.

Advertisement

Old 07-03-2019, 10:29 PM   #3
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,292

there is proper procedure for this type of job just like a fire job.

get the tree out of the way, clean up the debris & do exploratory surgery.

some will be obvious & others hidden pretty well.

just because doors open/close properly & window glass isn't broken just means that there is not likely damage in that immediate area.

foundation & slab must be checked closely.
overanalyze (07-05-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2019, 11:28 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,364

I just need pics...
The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
B.Johnson (07-05-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 12:30 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,940

Frame stress should show up in the drywall. Pops, ripples, etc. Pull those areas out and see what is going on.

Brick doesn't move much before it cracks, so it isn't an indicator of other damage if it' didn't open up much. If it opened up, slab would be the first thing to check.

It isn't just stud cracks you're looking for, problems with connections are likely.

That tree could pull the surrounding framing out if square and level, so that all needs to be checked as well.

A simple check of corners for plumb is pretty fast, and exterior visual check to see if a wall has twist is fast as well.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:45 AM   #6
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 335

Generally, the insurance company will hire an engineer to check on all this. A few years ago, we were involved in an insurance job where a tree fell on a house and did significant damage. After the engineer inspection, the homeowner disputed the findings and wanted more money. They sent pictures of other cracks in the house that were not being covered. The engineer had notes regarding every crack that he found, including those the homeowner wanted repaired. The other cracks weer found to be old because upon magnification, dust and dirt was found in the cracks, indicating an older crack.

Easy Gibson
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Warren For This Useful Post:
hdavis (07-04-2019), overanalyze (07-05-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 11:50 PM   #7
Not a people person

Trade: Remodel/landscaping/irrigation
Rewards Points: 279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Generally, the insurance company will hire an engineer to check on all this. A few years ago, we were involved in an insurance job where a tree fell on a house and did significant damage. After the engineer inspection, the homeowner disputed the findings and wanted more money. They sent pictures of other cracks in the house that were not being covered. The engineer had notes regarding every crack that he found, including those the homeowner wanted repaired. The other cracks weer found to be old because upon magnification, dust and dirt was found in the cracks, indicating an older crack.
I second what he said and maybe add a couple things. If you're going to be the guy fixing all this or you're helping this HO out. I was thinking you could probably help the engineer out when he comes by stripping some sheetrock from the lower walls to see what damage that tree did to the framing. Judging from the brick facade, at least some forces pounded the framing down low. Suppose it wouldn't hurt to rip out the rock below it before the adjuster gets there and that way he can see exactly what's going on.
Having grown up around insurance underwriting and my GF is an agent, I wouldn't want to see this claim turn into a lawsuit that drags you into it so CYA.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Doom For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 08:41 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,249

20 tons of Hardwood = Semi load of firewood..... over ten cords of Maple.....

Max firewood that branch that hit the would yeild, < 2 cords, 180 cubic feet of solid wood at 45 lbs = 8100 pounds plus or minus 2500 IMHO...

8100 pounds x 12-16 feet a second( speed created by branch falling to roof line at plus 12-16 feet above ground) = 113,400 foot pounds of energy give or take 50%....
Does it matter what the tree weighed?

Some cracks do appear to be pre tree fall in my opinion around crawl space vent...

I'd use it as a reason to install 1.5 to 2" of added on sheathing foam insulation, relay everything, and cover that God awful phony barn-board and battens with matching brick or stone.

Advertisement

Last edited by Fouthgeneration; 07-05-2019 at 08:43 PM.