Craigslist - Contractor Swap - Contractor Talk

Craigslist

Old 04-14-2015, 10:38 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,494

Craigslist

Anyone sell small tools on craigslist. I want to get rid of all kinds of small tools I no longer use but just cant throw out.

I see on craigslist people advertising the smallest of tools. Like $20 $30 stuff. Hardly seems like it would be worth the gas money.

Does anyone sell stuff this small? Where else would you sell off working condition small tools? If donating.....where do you go?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-14-2015, 10:45 AM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,320

Re: Craigslist

Problem with CL is the freakazoids that come by, an hour late, and offer you $10 for your $30 tool.

Then they see all the neat stuff in your shop.

Ebay works well and is pretty painless.

Donate to Habitat.

Advertisement

dkillianjr (04-16-2015), MarkJames (04-16-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 10:48 AM   #3
House surgeon

Trade: building/remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,078

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
Anyone sell small tools on craigslist. I want to get rid of all kinds of small tools I no longer use but just cant throw out.

I see on craigslist people advertising the smallest of tools. Like $20 $30 stuff. Hardly seems like it would be worth the gas money.

Does anyone sell stuff this small? Where else would you sell off working condition small tools? If donating.....where do you go?
I've bought more than sold but people are always willing to meet you wherever. And state cash only. And meet in public on your way to work for convenience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2015, 10:50 AM   #4
House surgeon

And I never have anyone come to my residence or shop
Old 04-14-2015, 10:51 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,094

I agree with Griz to a point.Say you sell something on Ebay for $10 or $25.You deal with a bunch of emails about the quality of the product and then you have to box it up and ship it.
Even with the buyer paying for the shipping it's hardly worth my time on a $20 sell and a lot of the times the shipping is half of the sale price which negates the sale for any buyers.I won't sell anything on ebay that I value under $100.Just not worth the time or trouble to me.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:58 AM   #6
Fire up the BBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
I agree with Griz to a point.Say you sell something on Ebay for $10 or $25.You deal with a bunch of emails about the quality of the product and then you have to box it up and ship it.
Even with the buyer paying for the shipping it's hardly worth my time on a $20 sell and a lot of the times the shipping is half of the sale price which negates the sale for any buyers.I won't sell anything on ebay that I value under $100.Just not worth the time or trouble to me.
I agree about the shipping hassle and the amount to sell something for.

For a bunch of cheap stuff donate them or deposit in the dumpster.

I've also given a bunch of useless to me tools to neighbors for their DIY projects.

That whole idea of meeting someone in public for a CL sale sounds ridiculous to me. Talk about a waste of time & energy.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:04 AM   #7
House surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post

I've also given a bunch of useless to me tools to neighbors for their DIY projects.

That whole idea of meeting someone in public for a CL sale sounds ridiculous to me. Talk about a waste of time & energy.
If someone is going to sell me a 150 dollar tool for 50 bucks, darn right I'll meet em. Depends on everyone's situation.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:06 AM   #8
Pro

Quote:

+1 Habitat for Humanity restores are a good way to get rid of extra tools and materials for anyone that has not heard of them.Check to see if there is one in your area.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:10 AM   #9
House surgeon

Friends and neighbors is always a good choice too. Then the time seems even less wasted if its a donation anyway...... ...... .....
Old 04-14-2015, 11:10 AM   #10
Fire up the BBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by illbuildit.dd View Post
If someone is going to sell me a 150 dollar tool for 50 bucks, darn right I'll meet em. Depends on everyone's situation.
Wait until you are busted for receiving stolen property...
Old 04-14-2015, 11:17 AM   #11
House surgeon

Quote:
Wait until you are busted for receiving stolen property...
I'm always extremely careful about stolen things. I'm as anti stolen things as ANYONE as I have been a victim enough times that I should be finished with my share of being a victim. If anyone here period has bought anything used then it goes for them as well. I wouldn't be surprised if someone here has one of my 3 trailers that were all stolen.
The Following User Says Thank You to illbuildit.dd For This Useful Post:
griz (04-14-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 11:21 AM   #12
Pro

You need to move to a better neighborhood or quit messing with all those crack whores

Just a joke.I hate a thief worse than anyone and sorry for you losses.
I could not even imagine having my tool trailer stolen.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:23 AM   #13
Fire up the BBQ

3 trailers, that sucks.

We used to have the regular guys stop by the job site and offer their wares from the trunk of their car.....

Guy once tried to sell me back my roto hammer which had been liberated form my truck....

When I pointed out my initials engraved on the case and on the tool he graciously offered to give it back to me...
Old 04-14-2015, 11:26 AM   #14
House surgeon

Quote:
You need to move to a better neighborhood or quit messing with all those crack whores

Just a joke.I hate a thief worse than anyone and sorry for you losses.
I could not even imagine having my tool trailer stolen.
One was a tool trailer the other two 16 footers. Insurance only covered about half of what was in it. I think that made me more angry than the thief. So instead I resorted to replacing things however I could and getting an avalanche. I think bad luck just follows me around
Old 04-14-2015, 11:30 AM   #15
House surgeon

Quote:
3 trailers, that sucks.

We used to have the regular guys stop by the job site and offer their wares from the trunk of their car.....

Guy once tried to sell me back my roto hammer which had been liberated form my truck....

When I pointed out my initials engraved on the case and on the tool he graciously offered to give it back to me...
Whoa thats crazy. I had a friend find his tools in a pawn shop, called the cops, and said the cops would not help. He use to love cops now he doesn't trust em. Bad thing about thievery, rarely get any satisfaction of finding the people. That was lucky for you
Old 04-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #16
Pro

Quote:
I agree with Griz to a point.
What did you agree with?

I can certainly see the point of shipping and Ebay. I might be better off making a table full of stuff and snapping a group photo with an items list.

IDK

Im not a fan of directing people to my place. I keep some equipment outdoors, dont need to display all of that.

There is a goodwill kind of store not sure if it works like Habitat, maybe I will pop in and see.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:48 AM   #17
House surgeon

Did my replies get moved
Old 04-14-2015, 11:51 AM   #18
Pro

(For a bunch of cheap stuff donate them or deposit in the dumpster.

I've also given a bunch of useless to me tools to neighbors for their DIY projects.)

This!!I have also given a bunch of stuff to neighborhood kids that had an interest as long as I was sure they could not hurt thierselves with it and mommy and daddy would not sue me over it.
You have to be careful of that chit these days.I remember being 13 and the neighborhood MC member teaching me to ride his Harley.Can;t do that these days without going to jail.
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
illbuildit.dd (04-14-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 11:59 AM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by illbuildit.dd View Post
Friends and neighbors is always a good choice too. Then the time seems even less wasted if its a donation anyway...... ...... .....
Yeah I do it once in a while. I always have a few new tools Im itching for so when I see all of these small tools being advertised on CL it makes me wonder if I can recover some of those investments as small it it may be.

I just put on 2 windows that were ordered wrong, 1 door. I forget I also have 3 boxs of Cedar Impression vinyl shakes. $500 worth. I have to get them on there too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom M For This Useful Post:
illbuildit.dd (04-14-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 12:04 PM   #20
House surgeon

I also like to give old tools to young guys starting out. It's tough starting out and we know how much it's appreciated

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to illbuildit.dd For This Useful Post:
Pearce Services (04-16-2015), TaylorMadeAB (04-14-2015)