Side Banner Ads - Site Feedback and Suggestions - Contractor Talk

Side Banner Ads

Old 08-09-2018, 07:19 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 15,369

Side Banner Ads

I just got a new laptop and thought I'd let the ads run on CT...

On the topic of vertical ads residing next to the scroll bar....there's only so many times I want to open the Square D ad. No wonder folks use adblockers.

Get rid of vertical banners and maybe give yourself a fighting chance.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2018, 09:15 AM   #2
Administrator

Trade: Administrator
Rewards Points: 13,500

Re: Side Banner Ads

The sponsored ads outside the sidebars are not something I can control.

Unfortunately, they are a big part of what keeps the lights on here.

Advertisement

Old 09-16-2018, 12:28 AM   #3

Trade: electrical
Rewards Points: 164

Quote:
Unfortunately, they are a big part of what keeps the lights on here.
I used to agree with that until I thought about it. I belong to other forums just like this. Similar software. No advertising. One I am an administrator of the other I used to be an administrator.

Both forums have their servers located in the owner's business or house. After paying a few hundred for the software (the owner of the forum that I'm an administrator for actually has several unrelated sites about things that interest him) he pays a couple of hundred a month for an internet connection with static IPs. That's it other than the electric which is part of his regular bill. We've (the other admins and myself) even offered to help pay the bills but the owner says it's no big deal.

So what's going on here? You probably pay for everything from tech support to hosting and for server space at some server farm someplace then you need to run ads to pay for all that?

-Hal

Old 09-16-2018, 12:41 AM   #4
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 6,254

Tapatalk has zero ads.

Mike.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:15 AM   #5
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComRemodel View Post
I used to agree with that until I thought about it. I belong to other forums just like this. Similar software. No advertising. One I am an administrator of the other I used to be an administrator.

Both forums have their servers located in the owner's business or house. After paying a few hundred for the software (the owner of the forum that I'm an administrator for actually has several unrelated sites about things that interest him) he pays a couple of hundred a month for an internet connection with static IPs. That's it other than the electric which is part of his regular bill. We've (the other admins and myself) even offered to help pay the bills but the owner says it's no big deal.

So what's going on here? You probably pay for everything from tech support to hosting and for server space at some server farm someplace then you need to run ads to pay for all that?

-Hal

Paid staff & profit. Nothing wrong with making a profit is there?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
Idothat (09-16-2018), Randy Bush (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 08:49 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,414

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel View Post
In a lot of peoples mind making a profit is a dirty word, especially if a contractor is involved.
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy Bush For This Useful Post:
pinwheel (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 10:06 PM   #7

Trade: electrical
Rewards Points: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel View Post
Well, no but a web forum is a little different that what we are used to as contractors. I've debated this point before and is why we have no advertising on the sites I administer.

That point is that we, as members provide the content that keeps this site going and provides the traffic that Google indexes. Without us, advertising space would be worthless because there would be no visitors to see it.

So we, the most important part of this site don't get paid and you think there should be paid staff and someone making a profit off us?

I think the least they could do is eliminate the advertising for us suckers who are logged in.

-Hal
Old 09-17-2018, 03:33 AM   #8
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 2,660

Quote:
Well, no but a web forum is a little different that what we are used to as contractors. I've debated this point before and is why we have no advertising on the sites I administer.

That point is that we, as members provide the content that keeps this site going and provides the traffic that Google indexes. Without us, advertising space would be worthless because there would be no visitors to see it.

So we, the most important part of this site don't get paid and you think there should be paid staff and someone making a profit off us?

I think the least they could do is eliminate the advertising for us suckers who are logged in.

-Hal
hmmm...
Old 09-17-2018, 06:45 AM   #9
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 40

Quote:

-Hal

Where did you come up with the idea that the owners of CT were a non profit like the sites you admin on?

You''re right, the members do provide the content so CT can sell ad space. I dont know about you, but I've made/saved so much money for my business because of said content, I'm willing to put up with some inconvenience to repay what I've gained from this site.

I bet you don't work to just break even.

Last edited by pinwheel; 09-17-2018 at 06:49 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
Cricket (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 08:53 AM   #10
Administrator

Trade: Administrator
Rewards Points: 13,500

The is a tech support thread, not a place to debate whether or not we have ads on ContractorTalk.com. If you need help, I would be more than happy to assist. As far as the ads in the outer edges of the site you can either make 100% sure your mouse in on the scroll bar or you can make your screen smaller to bypass them.

The ads aren't going away. They are how we keep the lights on here.

I am going to go ahead and close this thread so that it doesn't continue to create alerts for our tech support team.

Advertisement