Place For Young Or Beginning Contractors! - Site Feedback and Suggestions - Contractor Talk

Place For Young Or Beginning Contractors!

Old 11-03-2008, 05:12 PM   #1

Trade: Home Improvement
Rewards Points: 25

Place For Young Or Beginning Contractors!

I am a young carpenter that is running his own Home Improvement / Contracting business and I feel that this site needs a place for others like me to get advice. Most of the guys posting on this site are experienced veterans, and I like that; problem is that they get very annoyed when someone asks basic questions. It is not even so much that they get annoyed as it is that they then start badmouthing the person for asking such a "stupid" question. That has to turn alot of guys off, I know it does me. I think we should have a place where younger guys just getting into the trade, or experienced veterans who dont mind answering some basic questions can hang out. Somewhere that the experienced guys can act as mentors and the younger guys can help each other out. Let me know what you think.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-03-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
Professional Instigator

Trade: Design Build Remodeling Contractor DC MD
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Place For Young Or Beginning Contractors!

I think your suggestion has merit and might be a very good idea

The thing is the way some of the questions are asked are clearly asking for punishment

There was no internet when we started in the trades you actually learned on the job not by someone giving you the answer.

Practice/learning by doing is better than some tell you how it is to be done?

It took me 28 years to learn all I have to this point. What would be the reason to give that info away to a stranger versus someone who works for me and makes me money ?

The younger generation wants alot given to them and really want to work hard for it.

what do you have to offer in return for this help??

Don't get mad just asking questions that probably will get asked by others. Let me know your thoughts.

Advertisement

Old 11-03-2008, 05:41 PM   #3
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-In-Time View Post
I am a young carpenter that is running his own Home Improvement / Contracting business and I feel that this site needs a place for others like me to get advice. Most of the guys posting on this site are experienced veterans, and I like that; problem is that they get very annoyed when someone asks basic questions. It is not even so much that they get annoyed as it is that they then start badmouthing the person for asking such a "stupid" question. That has to turn alot of guys off, I know it does me. I think we should have a place where younger guys just getting into the trade, or experienced veterans who dont mind answering some basic questions can hang out. Somewhere that the experienced guys can act as mentors and the younger guys can help each other out. Let me know what you think.
I think folks here are helpful
and willing to teach/share methods and
technique.
It's vague, unanswerable
"How much do I charge?" and
"Can I just knockout a wall?"
threads that invite getting slapped
around.

Sometimes it takes a little dope slap
to get a guy focused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2008, 05:55 PM   #4

Trade: Home Improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsremodeling View Post
I think your suggestion has merit and might be a very good idea

The thing is the way some of the questions are asked are clearly asking for punishment

There was no internet when we started in the trades you actually learned on the job not by someone giving you the answer.

Practice/learning by doing is better than some tell you how it is to be done?

It took me 28 years to learn all I have to this point. What would be the reason to give that info away to a stranger versus someone who works for me and makes me money ?

The younger generation wants alot given to them and really want to work hard for it.

what do you have to offer in return for this help??

Don't get mad just asking questions that probably will get asked by others. Let me know your thoughts.
I guess I was talking more about the new helping the new. If a veteran wanted to step in and share his opinion with no strings attached that would be great, if not than that is okay too. Let me ask you a more important question, when you answer the question of another guy on this site right now the way it is set up, what do you get in return? Maybe I am missing something here but I have never been given any points or prizes for answering questions in a forum......Not being argumentative just giving an opinion. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:02 PM   #5
Curmudgeon

Quote:
I guess I was talking more about the new helping the new. If a veteran wanted to step in and share his opinion with no strings attached that would be great, if not than that is okay too. Let me ask you a more important question, when you answer the question of another guy on this site right now the way it is set up, what do you get in return? Maybe I am missing something here but I have never been given any points or prizes for answering questions in a forum......Not being argumentative just giving an opinion. Thanks for the input.
Hang around a minute and you will
understand.
Most of us try to answer questions
as well as ask them, and like anything
else that's worthwhile, the more you give
the more you get out of it.
No matter how long you've been at this,
another perspective can be helpful.

And we have fun ragging on each other too.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:42 PM   #6
DavidC

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,006

I think this site is already a great place for a newbie to get great advice and info. The real trick in my mind is to sit back and lurk for a while. Good chance the question you have has been asked already (search specific forums for those) or will be shortly. By lurking you can get a feel for how the successful posers get their answers and how to avoid the flame.

For example my pet peeve is the how much questions. My thinking tells me the real question is how do I know how much for me to charge. A similar forum was of great assistance to me as I figured that out and my numbers may be hazardous for anyone else to use for various reasons. What has been taught should be freely passed on, and it is here and elsewhere.

Think carefully about what you are asking and phrase it carefully. Your bootstraps can be pointed out for you but it is you that must pull them. Ask to short cut it and you are likely to be disappointed.

Lastly, don't make it one sided. Share what you know when someone asks. Everyone has a strong point and can help someone. You only keep what is freely shared.

Good Luck
Dave
Old 11-03-2008, 06:45 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 5,446

How about "Apprentice Topics"?

I don't see a problem with asking pricing questions, if there is a point....if you look like a hack or homeowner, you can imagine how ugly it gets.

It is fair to ask, since we all have to learn, how to do the tricks of the trade...I learn something new nearly every day.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 11-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: General Contractor, Remodeler
Rewards Points: 526

By lurking you can get a feel for how the successful posers get their answers and how to avoid the flame.

Hmmm...
-john5mt
Old 11-03-2008, 07:07 PM   #9

Quote:

Here is the way the world works. If you ask a general question, it will likely be answered. If you are asking to have someone do your job for you, good luck. You have a company name and position beside your avatar. This tells me you are a professional and deserve my respect. Ask a lot of questions regarding the business you are in, that should be common knowledge for you, and you will likely feel the sting from some of the more witty ones. Your ability to react to the comments positive or negative will determine whether you will stay or not, not whether someone hurt you feelings. Your in business, if your competitor is bad mouthing you, are you going to react or take action? See you asked a legitimate question and got a very thoughtful and respectful answer.

Last edited by Blockade; 11-03-2008 at 07:09 PM. Reason: missed a word
Old 11-03-2008, 07:10 PM   #10
DavidC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forry View Post
By lurking you can get a feel for how the successful posers get their answers and how to avoid the flame.

Hmmm...
And how do you feel about that Forry?

Good Luck
Dave
Old 11-03-2008, 07:15 PM   #11
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forry View Post

Hmmm...
One who "poses" a question
would be a....?
Old 11-03-2008, 07:16 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: General Contractor, Remodeler
Rewards Points: 526

Not sure, guess I'll just lurk for a while. Someday maybe I'll be a successful poser.
-john5mt
Old 11-03-2008, 07:32 PM   #13
Professional Instigator

Trade: Design Build Remodeling Contractor DC MD

Quote:

I get to give a professional an answer and in return that professional helps me out with a question. I am not going back to school to learn nor am i in the field much. So I try to stay current on topics and sometimes need a refresher or information on a new product

Don't need any points either but when you reach a certain level as a craftsman/business person you don't really mind helping out some one who has put their dues as well versus some one who is perceived just looking for a quick answer or a quick price.

I have asked questions here and have been smacked down as well or told that the question was to vague and could not be answered.

I really do think you have a good idea. I know I would contribute and answer questions if I could. I hope the Mods listen up and open up something like that it is one of the best suggestions I have seen in awhile (from a newbie)

Old 11-03-2008, 07:33 PM   #14
Starving Tile Artist

Trade: Carpentry, Flooring & (UGLY) Tile installs.
Rewards Points: 500

JIT,

You suggest a sub forum that caters to the questions you are afraid to ask the older contractors on this site on the risk of getting flamed.

Not a bad idea, but realise that the older guys here are just that, OLDER. This does not nessecarily mandate they are wiser.

The older guys are basically stuck on their way of doing business. Their business model may not be the best fit in today's economy or for what your company needs.

As for the experiance they have and can possibly share would be the part that you want to glean from them. In my opinion, the best way to get this is search the forum for old threads that lead you to the answer that you need. Many of these old farts have given great info and advice from time to time and you can get great input from them through older threads. They have after all been subjected over the years to posing home owners and hacks wanting to know how to screw things up.

Hang in there and if you have specific questions try to find one of these old farts that is willing to share and ask them in PM for the info. Most of them don't mind sharing if it will keep them from looking bad in the open.

And as Forest Gump would say.... "Thats all I have to say about that!!!"
Old 11-03-2008, 07:35 PM   #15
Want to play a game?

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 4,196

First of all we are in construction and to not be a smart a would be un American. Ha Ha. But seriously.... I agree with many guys in that some of the questions asked are crazy! When someone asks if they can use drywall compound to grout an exterior retaining wall and according to them they have been a LICENCED CONTRACTOR for 15 years (just an example) they are gonna get some smart a answers! As long as you don't come on here thinking you know everthing you should be fine! If you know more than 10 poeple than there are at least 5 poeple who know more than you! I got on here because I don't know everything (including spelling for you spelling cops) and wanted to see what the rest of the country uses for materials, labor, etc. If you stay green you grow!
I AM CRPNTRFRK AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE!
Old 11-03-2008, 07:36 PM   #16
Curmudgeon

Old 11-03-2008, 07:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrpntrFrk View Post
First of all we are in construction and to not be a smart a would be un American. Ha Ha. But seriously.... I agree with many guys in that some of the questions asked are crazy! When someone asks if they can use drywall compound to grout an exterior retaining wall and according to them they have been a LICENCED CONTRACTOR for 15 years (just an example) they are gonna get some smart a answers! As long as you don't come on here thinking you know everthing you should be fine! If you know more than 10 poeple than there are at least 5 poeple who know more than you! I got on here because I don't know everything (including spelling for you spelling cops) and wanted to see what the rest of the country uses for materials, labor, etc. If you stay green you grow!
I AM CRPNTRFRK AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE!
Someone was reading yesterdays posts...
Old 11-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #18
DavidC

Quote:
Originally Posted by neolitic View Post
One who "poses" a question
would be a....?
I am supicious that we may be at least near the same age.

To Forry I apologize for not including the smilely thingy. Please accept that I was thinking more of dinner than interweb etiquete. Generally not liking the smiley thingys much I belatedly offer you.... :>)

Good Luck
Dave
Old 11-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #19
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
I am supicious that we may be at least near the same age.

To Forry I apologize for not including the smilely thingy. Please accept that I was thinking more of dinner than interweb etiquete. Generally not liking the smiley thingys much I belatedly offer you.... :>)

Good Luck
Dave
Do you get mail from AARP?
Old 11-03-2008, 08:14 PM   #20
DavidC

Quote:
Originally Posted by neolitic View Post
Do you get mail from AARP?
Yes, but I would never admit that in public.

Good Luck
Dave

Advertisement