IMPORTANT MEMBER ANNOUNCEMENT: New Site Software/Platform Coming - Site Feedback and Suggestions - Contractor Talk

IMPORTANT MEMBER ANNOUNCEMENT: New Site Software/Platform Coming

Old 09-14-2020, 09:02 AM   #1
Texas Strong

Trade: Administrator
Rewards Points: 12,016

IMPORTANT MEMBER ANNOUNCEMENT: New Site Software/Platform Coming

Dear Community Members,

Over the past year or two, there have been updates to the environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface, and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software this site uses. This has made it increasingly difficult and frustrating to support and upgrade to more modern reliable standards that users deserve. Our advertising experience and certain ad partners have further degraded the functionality of the site. This is not the experience we want for the members of this community.

Members want a fast site that performs well across all devices, to be able to find relevant and interesting content, and easily share through text, images, video and messaging on a secure platform. Our goal is to provide this ultimate user experience to all members.

We will be implementing a new platform to better meet the needs of this community and allow us to provide support more efficiently. Our focus is to create a sustainable platform that performs well, and loads faster on all devices, while offering seamless ways to search and connect. Technology is constantly innovating - by creating an environment that we control we can maintain the site with more frequent improvements and maintenance updates.

Although change can be difficult, we are here to support you through the process. We make every effort to review existing settings and make the changes needed so the migration goes smoothly. If you notice something doesnít seem correct once the site goes live, donít panic! Weíll have a dedicated person monitoring as the site goes live to answer any questions and provide support through this change.

Whatís next?

I bet youíre thinking, ďWhat does this mean for me and the community?Ē It does mean change, but it will help solve a large majority of the issues that this site may have been experiencing. We have reviewed reported issues, site statistics, traffic data, and user feedback to help us prioritize the changes and improvements. Uploading an image or video will be easier and streamlined. Ad formatting will change with a new site layout. The site will be more responsive - there is no need to use a mobile skin or special app! Security and user privacy will continue to be a top priority.

When will this be happening? Soon! We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you. Youíll start to see activity related to cleanup in preparation for migration very shortly. We will post an announcement to the community prior to starting the actual data migration. Once the migration begins, the site will go into maintenance mode and will be read-only while data is being migrated.

We appreciate each memberís contribution to this community and look forward to an improved experience for you all.

- Cricket

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-14-2020, 09:05 AM   #2
Texas Strong

Re: IMPORTANT MEMBER ANNOUNCEMENT: New Site Software/Platform Coming

We will be retiring the Rewards program on October 14th in preparation for the new forum platform. All requests for eGift cards must be sent no later than October 14th so you must use them or lose them. You can choose to donate them to Hope, if you wish and I will make sure they go to the Toys For Tots program as we have done in previous years.

If you would like to donate your reward points to Hope for the Marine Toys For Tots program, simply click on the Rewards tab in the navigation bar at the top of the site and then select the "donate" link. For the username, enter: Hope

2000 points = $20

Advertisement

greg24k (09-17-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 09:07 AM   #3
Lazy Millennial

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 884

Will all the current topics be moved to the new site? Will Tapatalk be supported?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2020, 09:21 AM   #4
Texas Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngin' View Post
Will all the current topics be moved to the new site? Will Tapatalk be supported?
Yes and yes.

That being said, the new forum software is responsive, so it will adjust automatically for you from any device desktop to tablet to mobile.
Youngin' (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 09:54 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,408

Thanks, Mom!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
Cricket (09-14-2020), greg24k (09-17-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 10:38 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: residential remodeling/construction
Rewards Points: 2,125

Will it be able to run Cyrsis?
Old 09-14-2020, 11:00 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Design/Build Remodeler
Rewards Points: 32

Would now be a good time to give you a list of members we don't want moved to the new platform?

Da Vinci on the web or Da Vinci On Facebook
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DaVinciRemodel For This Useful Post:
AustinDB (Today), Bull Trout (09-17-2020), Calidecks (09-15-2020), greg24k (09-17-2020), griz (09-15-2020), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 11:20 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 1,682

How can I find out what password I'm using?
Old 09-14-2020, 11:34 AM   #9
Texas Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywhiteboy View Post
How can I find out what password I'm using?
You can simply reset your password or see if it is saved in your browser.

I cannot see your password.
Dirtywhiteboy (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 01:30 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVinciRemodel View Post
Would now be a good time to give you a list of members we don't want moved to the new platform?
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy Bush For This Useful Post:
DaVinciRemodel (09-14-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 01:00 PM   #11
Texas Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
We will be retiring the Rewards program on October 14th in preparation for the new forum platform. All requests for eGift cards must be sent no later than October 14th so you must use them or lose them. You can choose to donate them to Hope, if you wish and I will make sure they go to the Toys For Tots program as we have done in previous years.

If you would like to donate your reward points to Hope for the Marine Toys For Tots program, simply click on the Rewards tab in the navigation bar at the top of the site and then select the "donate" link. For the username, enter: Hope

2000 points = $20
DIYChatroom & Electrician Talk will have the new platform a bit sooner, so their Rewards program has already retired.

Final Points For Hope On Those Sites
DIYChatroom.com 109,587 points
ElectricianTalk.com 72,444
Old 09-15-2020, 06:48 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Design/Build Remodeler
Rewards Points: 32

Can we see how the transitions on DIYChatroom and Electrician Talk go before you change us? I hate being a naysayer Ė Iíve just seen it too many times! Hoping for the best!

Just for information, I was here when we transitioned to this platform. Was it ugly? Picture this user experience...

I just got my good looks back.

Da Vinci on the web or Da Vinci On Facebook
Old 09-15-2020, 07:40 PM   #13
Texas Strong

Quote:
Can we see how the transitions on DIYChatroom and Electrician Talk go before you change us? I hate being a naysayer Ė Iíve just seen it too many times! Hoping for the best!

Just for information, I was here when we transitioned to this platform. Was it ugly? Picture this user experience...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfQWz4gVcP8

Not getting the upgrade is not an option. We are way overdue for making this happen.
Calidecks (09-15-2020), DaVinciRemodel (09-15-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 08:28 PM   #14
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 160

Change is what people are uncomfortable with. I'm looking forward to this.

Mike.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:03 PM   #15
Texas Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidecks View Post
Change is what people are uncomfortable with. I'm looking forward to this.
Change is always hard but this upgrade is long overdue.

- Cricket
Calidecks (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 05:05 PM   #16
Texas Strong

I want to give you an update on the process I use once the site goes live with the new platform.

The night before the site goes live you will see an announcement from me that the site will be going live soon. Once the actual process starts, the site will be in read-only mode while the team does the migration from the old platform to the new one.

Once it does goes live you will see an announcement thread created (under the admin account) here in this section. All questions and feedback about the new platform should be posted ONLY in that thread.

You will then see my reply to the threads from my own account. Yes, I will be introducing myself to y'all again.

I will add a new signature to the admin account and maybe my own, along with updating the admin account avatar.

What should you be doing now before this happens?
  • Make sure your email address is up to date in your account. If you don't remember your password, now would be a good time to reset it. Save the information.
  • The link that displays all your attachments on the site will not be available, but all attachments will still be in your posts. It might be worth taking the time to browse through the attachment list to see if you want to add anything from there to your albums for easy access later.
  • If you use the current blog feature on ConrractorTalk, it is possible that it may not be migrated to the new forum software, depending on complications. If you have content there, I recommend saving it to your computer for now.
  • If you use the current project feature on ConrractorTalk, it is possible that it may not be migrated to the new forum software, depending on complications. If you have content there, I recommend saving it to your computer for now so that you have it to add to the Showcase feature on the new platform.
  • If you use the current review feature on ConrractorTalk, it is possible that it may not be migrated to the new forum software, depending on complications. If you have content there, I recommend saving it to your computer for now so that you have it. We can add a review forum section on the new platform later.
When Will This All Happen?

ContractorTalk.com is currently scheduled for near the end of October. HOWEVER, the schedule is very fluid, so that could change depending on any complications or schedule changes. I am simply giving you a heads up.

As your dedicated support, I will be here with you multiple times a day once the site goes live with the new platform, answering questions, and listening to feedback.

My only request is that you remain patient with me while we work through the changes.

Last edited by Cricket; 09-16-2020 at 05:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cricket For This Useful Post:
greg24k (09-17-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 06:57 PM   #17
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 17,561

Hi
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 09-16-2020, 08:16 PM   #18
Texas Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post

2000 points = $20
Reminder.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:20 PM   #19
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 17,561

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfQWz4gVcP8

It's coming whether you can stand to look in the mirror or not

Advertisement

WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
The Following User Says Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post: