Stucco And EIFS Manufacturer/Distributor/Suppler - New Member Introductions - Contractor Talk

Stucco And EIFS Manufacturer/Distributor/Suppler

Old 12-29-2014, 08:34 AM   #1

Trade: Stucco and EIFS Manufacturer
Rewards Points: 28

Stucco And EIFS Manufacturer/Distributor/Suppler

Cross Country Supply, Home of the EIFS Depot has 9 years of experience in distributing high-quality EIFS products nationwide.

Our team at Cross Country Supply is happy to be included in this forum.

For questions about Stucco, EIFS, and Plaster materials, please let us know!

Call 866.375.9510
email [email protected]
visit us www.eifsdepot.com

Thanks,

Laurel Harmon
Project Manager
Cross Country Supply, Home of the EIFS Depot

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-29-2014, 11:34 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,044

Re: Stucco And EIFS Manufacturer/Distributor/Suppler

Welcome to ContractorTalk. Please register as a vendor, and stop spamming us. Both of your first 2 posts out in the forums are just spam.

As a member, I don't mind having vendors here - it can be useful and informative - but blatant spam just messes this place up, and is against the rules.

Advertisement

JBBS (12-29-2014), Sir Mixalot (12-29-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 11:36 AM   #3
Self Leveler

Trade: Epoxy Flooring - Concrete Overlays - EIFS
Rewards Points: 550

Yeah Laurel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2014, 12:03 PM   #4

My apologies gentlemen. This is my first day on this site which I think is fantastic! Was trying to reach the quota of posts so that I may post articles. Thank you for the suggestion about registering as a vendor, I had not seen that when I registered. I was able to make the change easily due to your suggestion.
The Following User Says Thank You to EIFSdepot For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (12-29-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 12:05 PM   #5
Self Leveler

Great. Articles too! Welcome Laurel!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to JBBS For This Useful Post:
EIFSdepot (12-29-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 06:57 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIFSdepot View Post
My apologies gentlemen. This is my first day on this site which I think is fantastic! Was trying to reach the quota of posts so that I may post articles. Thank you for the suggestion about registering as a vendor, I had not seen that when I registered. I was able to make the change easily due to your suggestion.
Good to have you on board, then. We do have stucco and EIFS questions come up. In my market almost all exteriors are stucco or EIFS.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:42 PM   #7

Trade: Consultant
Rewards Points: 200

Alright first question. How familiar are you with Sto products? I'm on a large project at the moment that involved elastomeric removal and then replacement with Sto acrylic products.

I'm very familiar with conventional stucco being the son of a union plasterer, but I'm just not getting the same warm and fuzzy feeling with this synthetic stuff.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:02 AM   #8
Self Leveler

We install STO. Good product. What do you need to know?
Old 12-31-2014, 06:57 AM   #9

Our system starts on an existing substrate. Then an application of Sto Flexyl and mesh, Sto smooth primer and finally a Sto Lotusan finish.

There isn't much info as far as details and specifications on these products, but I did find some semi-installation instructions in the product data that tell me that the yellow color of the mesh cannot show through the Flexyl.

Is there anything else that I should be looking for, from an inspectors point of view that would cause a failure of this system down the road?

What about window conditions or other conditions where water might be able to get behind the Flexyl and be trapped.

How hard is the Lotusan to finish vs. conventional stucco. Will imperfections in the Flexyl telegraph through?
Old 12-31-2014, 08:25 AM   #10

GOVTcontractor: STO is a manufacturer of EIFS materials. Other brands are TIQUE, DRYVIT, Synergy, and Parex to name a few. The finish coat in traditional stucco and EIFS are the same. The difference between "synthetic" aka EIFS (Exterior Insulation Finishing Systems and traditional hardcoat stucco is what is beneath the finish.

Hard Coat Stucco usually has a tar felt paper, metal lath, and stucco cement with casing bead, corner bead, expansion joints. It is heavier and pricier than EIFS because it requires a lot of materials depending on the thickness of the fiber sanded stucco cement.

EIFS or synthetic stucco starts with EPS foam insulation board which can either be attached with basecoat adhesive or mechanically attached with mechanical fasteners. (With mechanically attached systems Tyvek Stucco Wrap is used, with adhesively attached a roll on barrier is used.) On top of the EPS board polymer modified cement (basecoat adhesive) is applied and fiberglass reinforcing mesh is embedded into the basecoat. Lastly, the acrylic finish coat is applied.

EIFS does not expand and crack as does hard coat stucco, uses less materials, is more cost efficient, is durable, and has the added benefit of a layer of insulation foam.

As far as mesh, it does come in a variety of colors and a color will not show through the basecoat adhesive. For EIFS applications the typical mesh used is 4.5 oz standard mesh but if there are a lot of corners then a 4.5oz super soft should be used. For flat, straight walls a slightly heavier 4.7 oz mesh can be used. For areas where impact may occur like garage door openings, there is high impact mesh that comes in ranges from 10 oz -23 oz. For custom detailed architectural shapes, usually a 2.12 self adhesive detail mesh is used.

In both hard coat and EIFS, proper flashing and drainage should be considered around windows, doors, and the roof. Kickout flashing, window flashing, a moisture barrier, tar paper, starter track with weep holes, and drain planes should be factored into the equation.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:33 AM   #11

We have a different application. Let me better refine it. Building is hollow clay tile built in 1922. It was plastered and then later received an elastomeric finish over the existing plaster. The elastomeric failed. We manually removed the elastomeric and color coat down to the existing brown coat. New system applied over the brown coat is
1- Sto Flexyl and Mesh
2- Sto Smooth Primer
3- Sto Lotusan One-Coat finish

What sort of things should I be looking for? I'm not familiar with this system and I need to ensure that the subcontractor is providing to proper quality so we don't have failures like the elastomeric.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:02 PM   #12
Self Leveler

That is a direct apply system without the foam. The Sto primer should be applied before the finish coat.

The flexyl is acting as a waterproofing base coat for the Lotusan and gets the fiberglass mesh embedded just like a traditional basecoat.

It is ok to slightly see the square pattern of the mesh but your right on not wanting to be able to see the yellow color of the mesh.

Lotusan is the top of the line finish for STO and costs about double compared to their standard finish. Make sure the finish buckets say Lotusan if that is what was specced.

Last edited by JBBS; 12-31-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:43 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIFSdepot View Post
....The finish coat in traditional stucco and EIFS are the same.....
Not in my world. In my market EIFS always gets an acrylic finish; traditional stucco usually gets portland cement, sometimes acrylic.
JBBS (12-31-2014)
Old 12-31-2014, 04:33 PM   #14

Thanks for the info. Material is on site and is the correct product. The current building is 27K sqft. We have three more. I just want to make sure the client gets a great product.
The Following User Says Thank You to GovtContractor For This Useful Post:
JBBS (12-31-2014)
Old 12-31-2014, 06:37 PM   #15
Self Leveler

Lotusan is "hydrophobic" and repels water nicely. Should be a good system for that project. 27k sq ft is a nice sized project.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:08 PM   #16

First wall finish went on today. I'm pleasantly surprised at how well it turned out. 100K more sqft to go.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to GovtContractor For This Useful Post:
JBBS (01-01-2015)