Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Simple life plan

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Grumpy 
G
#1 ·
Hey guys, posted for the first time this morning. Been in the building trade off and on here in LA. for 25 yrs. Was offered to go to FL. in 1976 with my contractor but decided to stay here. (It's hard to move a Cajun but not hard for a Cajun to move!) After a few jobs to keep my family fed, three years ago I went full time into general repair, decks, fencing, sheds, small remodels, etc. Jumped in with both feet recently and bought a lot for our first spec home. Not scared to build it but with my tastes, I hope I can afford to build it. My Dad always said, "If you are gonna build a house on spec., be prepared to live in it." That is where I need to define the difference between building as a contractor and building it for yourself. Time will take care of the answer I am sure, it just would be nice to get a few pointers along the way to nudge me down the right path.

#2 ·
Don't build it to YOUR tastes. Build it to what will sell the fastest, and that is the tastes of the majority. What is in style? That's what you need to know.

I highly doubt many people would want to live in a custom home I design for myself.

I know a guy who builds houses and he doesn't paint the walls or install any fixtures. He waits till the house is sold then lets the new owner pick out which fixtures and paint colors they want. These are called semi custom homes. The home is basically a shell then the customer picks the counter tops, faucets, carpet color, etc... Also he usually doesn't finish the basement unless the customer wants to pay a few bucks more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.