New Member And General Residential Contractor In Phoenix Help With Homeowners - New Member Introductions - Contractor Talk

New Member And General Residential Contractor In Phoenix Help With Homeowners

Old 01-19-2020, 09:33 AM   #1

Trade: general residential contractor and carpenter

New Member And General Residential Contractor In Phoenix Help With Homeowners

help with Homeowners... ive been a carpenter and residential contractor for 20 plus years. either im becoming less patient or homeowners are getting more difficult. the work is always within budget. are always finished whithin schedule. workmanship is impecable. im college educated, clean and neat. However, im constantly being talked to like an uneducaed dumb****. overtly nasty with theyre comments and demands and i usually walk away so annoyed and frustrated only to have them refer me and tell all theyre friends how amazing i was and how incredible the work was.
is this a new thing ive overlooked. Is being a blue collared worker in America today looked at as lower class. any tips on how to reinvent myself? succesful ways of not being walked all over and ways to be more stearn without setting myself up for confrontation.
whats worked for you?
what hasnt worked for you?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-19-2020, 09:51 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 948

Re: New Member And General Residential Contractor In Phoenix Help With Homeowners

Quote:
Originally Posted by skogensvin View Post
is this a new thing ive overlooked. Is being a blue collared worker in America today looked at as lower class. any tips on how to reinvent myself? succesful ways of not being walked all over and ways to be more stearn without setting myself up for confrontation.
whats worked for you?

East coast? West coast?

Suck it up and quit being so sensitive.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
MN_general (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 01:00 PM   #3
90%-er

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,254

Re: New Member And General Residential Contractor In Phoenix Help With Homeowners

Man, the irony here.

I get what you're asking, and I do have some general advice for you, but I would start with something more practical: if you would like to be perceived as an educated man, AND you also write emails/marketing materials in a similar way to what your wrote above, then I'd suggest having someone skilled in the area of grammar proofread your communications before you send them out.

Capitals where they go, some quick reading about the difference between ' they're' (which has an apostrophe, by the way), 'their', and 'there,' etc. Oftentimes, a piece of written communication is the very first impression you make with a new lead, and you start out in a deficit when you lead with unprofessional writing.

Maybe this is just how you post online and the rest of your communications are impeccable, but I will tell you man to man that it is distracting.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onmywayup For This Useful Post:
griz (01-19-2020), MN_general (01-19-2020), mrcat (01-19-2020), TxElectrician (01-23-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2020, 02:07 PM   #4
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 752

blue collar workers have been looked down upon for decades.

the grans illusion that if you don't go to college you are nothing.

your college education does't mean diddly squat to anyone but you.

seems that you think because you are a college boy that you should be treated better than anyone else.

likely you are getting a negative reaction from clients is the way you come across. language, demeanor, body language etc.

people now days are a different breed than we had 20 or more years ago.

maybe you need a vacation. if you have been in business for 20 years you should have acquired some pretty decent people skills by now.

maybe you need to be a little more picky as to who you accept as a client.
KAP (01-19-2020), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (01-20-2020), Texas Wax (01-20-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 02:48 PM   #5
Design/Build

Rewards Points: 1,554

Being in business for 22+ years, I too have noticed a big change in clients and most other people I deal with on a daily basis (ie subs, architects, designers, vendors). People seem to be under so much pressure in this crazy world and quick to anger. I just continue on and don't give them any real reasons to be upset with me. We can only control how we act and react and try not to escalate tense situations.
The Following User Says Thank You to NJ Contractor For This Useful Post:
MN_general (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 04:07 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 36,988

Quote:
... either im becoming less patient or homeowners are getting more difficult.
Could be a little of both... but keep in mind you can control only you and how you deal with it...

Quote:
Is being a blue collared worker in America today looked at as lower class.
Why do you think there's blue collar and white collar? Perceived different class, but in most cases, more based on economic factors and your ability to move from one to another...

There are many in our industry who make MORE than the average white collar worker... and they recognize how little that distinction between the two classes means to them creating their own pie... IOW, it's just noise that distracts from your goals...

Ironically, those who achieve that level of success are also broadly brushed from those outside our industry as having done something nefarious to get it...

Quote:
any tips on how to reinvent myself? succesful ways of not being walked all over and ways to be more stearn without setting myself up for confrontation.
whats worked for you?
That's a little broad... if you want strategies to address it going forward, can you give a few examples of "being walked all over"?

Broadly speaking, your best way to address issues like that is by saying "no" (without always using the word as it can come across as a shut down in communication) with explaining your position...

Find win/win's in tense areas... but sometimes the answer is no, and that word means nothing if you don't back it up with fortitude...

Kind of like a customer asking for a discount... if they don't give something up when you give it, they have no idea how deep the discount well goes and will continually test it until they get to, in essence, no... similar with waffling on a no... they don't know how far they can push until you present them with the line...

Last edited by KAP; 01-19-2020 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:27 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 368

Yeah, maybe be more picky about who you choose to work for... and people more or less tend to reflect what you give them. Be Jesus to people and they typically won’t jerk your chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Caleb1989 For This Useful Post:
KAP (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 08:38 PM   #8
Design/Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb1989 View Post
Yeah, maybe be more picky about who you choose to work for... and people more or less tend to reflect what you give them. Be Jesus to people and they typically won’t jerk your chain.
I don't know...people are tougher to deal with nowadays in this IKEA/HGTV culture. For the most part we are looked upon as a subclass that is only trying to take advantage of everyone...
Old 01-19-2020, 08:52 PM   #9
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 4,270

I've never felt like a customer has treated me like a sub class and I deal with some pretty wealthy people. A deck is a want not really a need. For what I build anyway.

Mike.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:14 PM   #10
Design/Build

I do large high end renovations and the majority of people I’ve worked with have been lovely, but the last few years there seems to be more of an attitude of mild disdain towards us and how expensive everything is.

Last edited by NJ Contractor; 01-19-2020 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:51 PM   #11
Kowboy

Trade: Countertops
Rewards Points: 8,542

I don't take any crap from anyone anymore, especially customers. Last week a lady insisted I had promised her a faucet on her sink job. I hadn't. Her old man started barking from the other room. I packed up and left. Just sent her refund check.

Advertisement