Intro... MD - New Member Introductions - Contractor Talk

Intro... MD

Old 01-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #1

Trade: Design
Rewards Points: 10

Intro... MD

Hey everyone. My name is Samantha. I have a degree in architecture and worked in that field for 5 years before jumping ship and working as an assistant PM for a GC. Due to family issues i had to leave

Now i am a stay at home mom in the process of starting my own design and consultation company. If you could point me in the best direction it would be greatly appreciated. Im looking into the laws and requirments of what my scope can be seeing as i am not licensed as an architect yet. This mean i cant stamp drawings yet. Im working on this but in the mean time i want to get a company started. I live in MD and plan on starting in the local Harford County area.

Again thanks for any help.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
Builder/Remodeler

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,066

Re: Intro... MD

Welcome to CT Samantha.

In my area, you do not have to have an architect's stamp for renovations/remodeling but that might not be the case in your area.

There are a few contractors here from the DC/Maryland area who might be able to give you better insight on what you can do locally. I'll see if I can't get one of them to weigh in.

Best of luck to you.

Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #3

Chris... thanks for the help! Yeah im almost 100% sure i can do renos and additions i think w/o a license. I even think new construction under a certain sf i can do as long as the contractor has the right licesing. But with the way the general public can be im not getting in deeper than i should hahaha. Gotta cover my a$$ ya know.

There is so much to look into and do. I still have a lot of research to do but i have 2 contractors i know that are interested in me so hopefully i get the ball moving soon!

Last edited by TwinDesign; 01-24-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
Professional Instigator

Trade: Design Build Remodeling Contractor DC MD
Rewards Points: 2,000

I would do just as your planning. Find a few good Design Build contractors and partner with them

I have a few "Designers" that I work with, they also do the permitting as well.

I good designer with a couple of good contractors to work with can make as much or more than an architect.

There are tons of contractors that would be open for a partnership like that..

The Following User Says Thank You to rbsremodeling For This Useful Post:
TwinDesign (01-24-2011)
Old 01-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #5

rbsremodeling... Im guessing i would just have to draw up some good contracts? Bc i would really be like a sub to the GC correct? I know 1 of the 2 companies is a great GC very law abiding etc so i can trust him. i do not know the other one well so i want to ensure im covered and w/in my rights. I like my house hahahaha!

I do have plans on sitting down with the one GC (he is actually my old boss and we ended on great terms)

I like what you said about a designer with 2 or 3 GC contacts could do better than an architect hahaha!!! honestly ive never been a stuffy architect type. Im a hard hat boot wearing designer (but i can sport the heels and dark rimmed glasses with the best of them if i had too!). I like to be in the field seeing my work grow!
Old 01-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
Builder/Remodeler

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,066

A big thing to be careful of is Errors and Omissions--and that should probably be part of your liability insurance as a business.

Most of us are used to seeing "Field Verify" on our drawings (for remodeling/additions)--and it can be a HUGE deal if the map doesn't equal the territory after windows are ordered or foundations are in. That is your biggest liability in my view.

Second would be specifying assemblies. Stock wall sections and cutaways will likely be fine--but be very careful specifying your own sections and assemblies. If a code issue slips by permitting a problem could easily end up in your lap.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrWright View Post
A big thing to be careful of is Errors and Omissions--and that should probably be part of your liability insurance as a business.

Most of us are used to seeing "Field Verify" on our drawings (for remodeling/additions)--and it can be a HUGE deal if the map doesn't equal the territory after windows are ordered or foundations are in. That is your biggest liability in my view.

Second would be specifying assemblies. Stock wall sections and cutaways will likely be fine--but be very careful specifying your own sections and assemblies. If a code issue slips by permitting a problem could easily end up in your lap.
thanks for that info.... yeah i have written my fair share of V.I.F hahaha! I even did it to my own boss who is a GC last summer when i sketched a bathroom reno for him. the guys were all over me about it and walked around saying VIF for weeks. grr!

see its the code issues im concerned with.. you miss 1 code no matter how big or small and your scrEwedd! i plan on getting a lawyer so i will def bring this up. thanks!
Old 01-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
Professional Instigator

Trade: Design Build Remodeling Contractor DC MD
Rewards Points: 2,000

A good contract is relative.. Get a retainer and bill accordingly.

Good designs, fast turn around, meet with the clients and do the permit dance for the Contractors..

Some of my Designers just pay for everything including permits and send me a bill..

The permitting and the selections process are crucial IHMO. Handle those for most contractors and they will love you.

Alot of the smaller guys just don't have the time to meet with the owner and designers and do the permit dance..

If you eliminate those two obstacles and provide a good service it will be well worth it..

You service area would have to be a bit bigger, I would think, atleast a few of the counties..

PG County is hot right now..

Old 01-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #9

great! thank you. I will do some research and talk with the 2 GC prospects i have and see what they want from me. I do have experience with all of what you said so i certainly dont mind doing it actually i enjoy giving the clients a warm and fuzzy feeling like thier reno dreams are about to come true haha! Im good at that dance!

Im sure i will have tons of questions for you guys in the future!

Advertisement