Hello From Snowy Denver Colorado! - New Member Introductions - Contractor Talk

Hello From Snowy Denver Colorado!

Old 02-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
KOLA Mike

Trade: Roofing, Exteriors, Investor Rehabs, Education
Rewards Points: 10
Talking

Hello From Snowy Denver Colorado!

Mike here, from KOLA Construction. MY background is in residential properties. I have bought, sold, wholesaled, managed hundreds of properties all over the country. I also manage our Denver operation for Kola Construction. This company does a lot of storm work, so we're strong in exteriors. But, I also council and advise property investors as a GC.

I have 4 projects going right now: Two condo rehabs and a townhouse. I run a small company out West and I'm looking forward to storm season. Can't wait to meet insurance adjusters all week long again!

Ask for more information, but I just wanted to find a place to collaborate if I'm stumped and to have some good conversation with like minded folks.

Nice to meet everyone!

Kola Mike-

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
Wood Butcher

Trade: Remodels/Custom Cabinets/Granite Countertops
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Hello From Snowy Denver Colorado!

Welcome to CT!
from your neighbor in WY.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to bhock For This Useful Post:
KolaWest (02-10-2011)
Old 02-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Design/Build Remodeler
Rewards Points: 930

Mike, first of all welcome neighbor

But clarify, Are you an employee of KOLA? You run another Biz on the side? Are you a flipper?

Paul

Da Vinci on the web or Da Vinci On Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
KOLA Mike

I am an owner of this branch and there is a larger parent company in NC. Separate entities.

I am a flipper, yes. I'm in the middle of project for other investors and I also wholesale properties. I have an 18 unit complex with 10 garages and 2 carports for 10K a unit right now that's performing, if you're interested

Thanks for the neighborly welcome, too. I believe I've seen your trucks since I came to Colorado a year ago.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
The Flooring Guy

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 250

Welcome to the board Mike; did you guys get your fair share of snow this past snow storm?
Old 02-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
KOLA Mike

Yup, got about 2 feet of snow and most notably, the dang cold. It started warming up today, thank goodness.

The beginning of winter was so mild, too. These past 4-6 weeks have been pretty miserable.

You inspired me to do a lot of research on cork flooring. I have never heard of it, and it's pretty cool! I'm actually considering doing some in a project I'm starting next weekend now.

What's the cost per foot installed, typically, as compared to hardwoods?
Old 02-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #7

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by KolaWest View Post
Mike here, from KOLA Construction. MY background is in residential properties. I have bought, sold, wholesaled, managed hundreds of properties all over the country. I also manage our Denver operation for Kola Construction. This company does a lot of storm work, so we're strong in exteriors. But, I also council and advise property investors as a GC.

I have 4 projects going right now: Two condo rehabs and a townhouse. I run a small company out West and I'm looking forward to storm season. Can't wait to meet insurance adjsuster all week long again!

Ask for more information, but I just wanted to find a place to collaborate if I'm stumped and to have some good conversation with like minded folks.

Nice to meet everyone!

Kola Mike-
Hi Mike and welcome to the forum!, maybe you can help with a question? I just embarked on an endeavor a few hours ago myself looking to get involved with doing some insurance work and was wondering what's the best way to get a foot in with the insurance companies?.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:03 PM   #8
KOLA Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Craft View Post
Hi Mike and welcome to the forum!, maybe you can help with a question? I just embarked on an endeavor a few hours ago myself looking to get involved with doing some insurance work and was wondering what's the best way to get a foot in with the insurance companies?.
Thanks for the welcome. Insurance companies are tricky, because technically, they are not allowed to suggest a contractor to a client. Major conflict of interest. Adjusters, agents etc. You have to keep it arms length. Technically.

Now, most insurance restorations companies still market to agents, but adjusters are the way to go, to enter the kingdom of referrals. They are hard to pin down, and I've heard all kinds of dirty stories about handfuls of cash to adjusters for a nudge-nudge-wink friendly referrals, even though they are not supposed to do it.

I hope that answers your question, but it's ultimately about doing the right thing and getting customer referrals. There's also some preferred contractor programs, but GOOD luck getting on those, without greasing the squeaky wheel, too. I've been trying for years.

Best thing to do still, is to spend money on marketing. Get an appointment setting service, either canvassing or phone marketing, and do mailers when storms and super cold weather hit. That's still the best ROI in my opinion. Set appointments and learn how to sell effectively. Then, do your job and perform and you'll stay in business. Remember how fast bad news travels...
The Following User Says Thank You to KolaWest For This Useful Post:
All-Craft (02-10-2011)
Old 02-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #9
Electrical Punk...

Trade: Master Electrician
Rewards Points: 572

Quote:
Originally Posted by KolaWest View Post
Thanks for the welcome. Insurance companies are tricky, because technically, they are not allowed to suggest a contractor to a client. Major conflict of interest. Adjusters, agents etc. You have to keep it arms length. Technically.

Now, most insurance restorations companies still market to agents, but adjusters are the way to go, to enter the kingdom of referrals. They are hard to pin down, and I've heard all kinds of dirty stories about handfuls of cash to adjusters for a nudge-nudge-wink friendly referrals, even though they are not supposed to do it.

I hope that answers your question, but it's ultimately about doing the right thing and getting customer referrals. There's also some preferred contractor programs, but GOOD luck getting on those, without greasing the squeaky wheel, too. I've been trying for years.

Best thing to do still, is to spend money on marketing. Get an appointment setting service, either canvassing or phone marketing, and do mailers when storms and super cold weather hit. That's still the best ROI in my opinion. Set appointments and learn how to sell effectively. Then, do your job and perform and you'll stay in business. Remember how fast bad news travels...
Welcome to the forum enjoy the fun..

Advertisement

Tags
denver , kola , rehabs , roofing