Wobbeling Front Wheel? - Page 2 - Vehicles - Contractor Talk

Wobbeling Front Wheel?

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2019, 07:13 AM   #21
Focusing on solutions.
 
pinwheel's Avatar
 
Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,020
Rewards Points: 792

Re: Wobbeling Front Wheel?


When I consider should I fix something or hire a professional to fix it. I have to ask myself. How long will this take me? What's my time worth? How much is it going to cost me to hire a professional? Then do the math off the answers. If it turns out to be a push, or slightly higher than a push, I hire the professional.

Taking that exact advice myself this morning. I've got a truck that needs to go to the repair shop. It's 50 miles to the repair shop. I've got a trailer big enough to load the truck on & a tractor that I could tow it onto the trailer with & another truck that I could use to pull it to the shop.

Drive time is 2 1/2 hours round trip, plus fuel, plus the time to get the truck loaded. I called the local tow company & was quoted $200. I'm going to work instead & will easily make more than the $200 tow bill.

BTW, I don't change my oil anymore either, just not cost effective to work on my own vehicles as a rule.
pinwheel is online now  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
hdavis (07-30-2019), TheConstruct (07-30-2019), Tinstaafl (07-30-2019), Tom M (07-31-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 07-30-2019, 08:25 AM   #22
Artist and not a curator
 
Deckhead's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpentry,
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 7,994
Rewards Points: 14,528

Re: Wobbeling Front Wheel?


Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel View Post
When I consider should I fix something or hire a professional to fix it. I have to ask myself. How long will this take me? What's my time worth? How much is it going to cost me to hire a professional? Then do the math off the answers. If it turns out to be a push, or slightly higher than a push, I hire the professional.

Taking that exact advice myself this morning. I've got a truck that needs to go to the repair shop. It's 50 miles to the repair shop. I've got a trailer big enough to load the truck on & a tractor that I could tow it onto the trailer with & another truck that I could use to pull it to the shop.

Drive time is 2 1/2 hours round trip, plus fuel, plus the time to get the truck loaded. I called the local tow company & was quoted $200. I'm going to work instead & will easily make more than the $200 tow bill.

BTW, I don't change my oil anymore either, just not cost effective to work on my own vehicles as a rule.
Monetarily that's definitely true and something that's hard to remember.

There is a couple variables for some people though. For me, I like to learn how things work and a lot of times the only way to understand them completely is to disassemble and reassemble them. When I had the DT466E I spent an entire week tearing the entire motor apart messing with the fuel delivery system. Ohming out injectors, changing seals, installing a new pigtail and testing the HPOP. What a pain but I knew that engine pretty well when done. Turned out to be a fuse cool system though.

I also change my oil on occasions because it's something easy that wont frustrate me and my little girl loves helping on the truck.
__________________
Dont make fun of the people who post from their moms basement... they're a little unstable.
Deckhead is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Deckhead For This Useful Post:
Tom M (07-31-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 08:56 AM   #23
Pro
 
rrk's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: new jersey
Posts: 5,667
Rewards Points: 1,782

Re: Wobbeling Front Wheel?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
Wheel weight fell off.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Mine was the balancing beads they put in the tire separated from the tire
rrk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-30-2019, 10:42 AM   #24
Pro
 
Texas Wax's Avatar
 
Trade: Executor of special operations
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: DFW
Posts: 3,896
Rewards Points: 1,746

Re: Wobbeling Front Wheel?


Don't take but 30 minutes to rotate tires and rule out tire balance or a fed ten dollar bills to have it done at a tire shop. Good practice to rotate anyway.
__________________
...as the page loads, so go the days of our lives, at CT
Texas Wax is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texas Wax For This Useful Post:
hdavis (07-30-2019), MarkJames (07-30-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 07:39 PM   #25
Pro
 
TimNJ's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeler
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,060
Rewards Points: 4,634

Re: Wobbeling Front Wheel?


Quote:
Originally Posted by rrk View Post
That is called a "death Wobble"

I have had that a few times, 50 mph and hit a bump or a pothole. In my case the problem was worn out of balance tire. Get a steering stabilizer while you are at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrNY3TE-9a8


If my truck was doing that, there is no way I'd be driving 70mph.
__________________
Trump-The "Con Man's" Con Man.
TimNJ is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimNJ For This Useful Post:
J.C. (07-30-2019), rrk (07-30-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 08:29 PM   #26
Pro
 
rrk's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: new jersey
Posts: 5,667
Rewards Points: 1,782

Re: Wobbeling Front Wheel?


Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNJ View Post
If my truck was doing that, there is no way I'd be driving 70mph.
Did not happen at 70, it happened to me at 50 or so. The only way to stop it is to go down to 30 and it stops. Must say the cheeks did get a bit tight when it happened.

A pot hole or expansion gap on a bridge will do it
rrk is offline  
Old 07-30-2019, 08:58 PM   #27
Pro
 
TimNJ's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeler
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,060
Rewards Points: 4,634

Re: Wobbeling Front Wheel?


Quote:
Originally Posted by rrk View Post
Did not happen at 70, it happened to me at 50 or so. The only way to stop it is to go down to 30 and it stops. Must say the cheeks did get a bit tight when it happened.

A pot hole or expansion gap on a bridge will do it



I meant the driver in the video.
Look at his speedo. It kicks in when he is around 67-71mph.
__________________
Trump-The "Con Man's" Con Man.
TimNJ is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimNJ For This Useful Post:
hdavis (07-30-2019), rrk (07-31-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 11:37 PM   #28
Pro
 
rustyjames's Avatar
 
Trade: Constructioneer; LEED AP BD+C
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 1,291
Rewards Points: 1,696

Re: Wobbeling Front Wheel?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Wax View Post
Don't take but 30 minutes to rotate tires and rule out tire balance or a fed ten dollar bills to have it done at a tire shop. Good practice to rotate anyway.
Yup, that's an easy way to rule out a bad tire, which I suspect is the problem.
rustyjames is offline  
Old 07-31-2019, 12:41 AM   #29
Pro
 
Texas Wax's Avatar
 
Trade: Executor of special operations
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: DFW
Posts: 3,896
Rewards Points: 1,746

Re: Wobbeling Front Wheel?


Quote:
Originally Posted by rrk View Post
Did not happen at 70, it happened to me at 50 or so. The only way to stop it is to go down to 30 and it stops. Must say the cheeks did get a bit tight when it happened.

A pot hole or expansion gap on a bridge will do it
Know what causes that exact thing on Ford Vans.
__________________
...as the page loads, so go the days of our lives, at CT
Texas Wax is offline  
Old 08-01-2019, 07:12 AM   #30
Radical Basement Dweller
 
Robie's Avatar
 
Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 15,280
Rewards Points: 5,572

Re: Wobbeling Front Wheel?


A little levity...

__________________
When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers.
Robie is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Robie For This Useful Post:
tgeb (08-01-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 07:05 PM   #31
Pro
 
rrk's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: new jersey
Posts: 5,667
Rewards Points: 1,782

Re: Wobbeling Front Wheel?


They say Jeep has found what is causing it in their vehicles

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/jeep-wr...ath-wobble-fix

I had a 1976 Chevy pickup that also had it, I installed a steering stabilizer on that and it fixed it for a while but it came back. I doubt it is just a stabilizer because my Isuzu NPR never had one to start with.

Advertisement

rrk is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?