V10 Fuel Mileage - Vehicles - Contractor Talk

V10 Fuel Mileage

Old 12-23-2010, 07:05 AM  
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 9,698

V10 Fuel Mileage

I've owned a 7.3 diesel for the past 11 years going on twelve, but the rust has gotten to her. I'm looking at replacing it with a v10 powered truck, due to the potential scary repairs problems that the 6.0 liter powerstroke has. I know towing won't be quite the same, but I'm looking forward to easier maintenance expenses. I'm looking in the 05-06 years. What I'm wondering is how bad is the fuel mileage on the v10's? I've got a tool trailer that weighs about 6k that I tow quite often. Also have a 14k equipment trailer that I tow a farm tractor with. That doesn't get towed very often. Maybe two handfuls a year. And usually locally. So, mileage empty and towing, how bad is it? Truck will be crewcab 4x4 short bed srw or crewcab dually 4x4 short or long bed. Thanks, Nick

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-23-2010, 07:48 AM  
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 11,127

Re: V10 Fuel Mileage

I don't really know, but I figure 9-10MPG. No more that 15.

Advertisement

WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 12-23-2010, 08:55 AM  
Nepster

Trade: general contracting
Rewards Points: 150

It's going to be awful if you are towing regularly. I don't have a v10 ford, but I have a 6.0 chevy gasser. It averages 10mpg around town, but if it has to tow anything it drops to around 7. If you could find a 06 or 07 powerstroke I think you will be much happier. The 06 and 07 had far fewer problems then the previous 6.0 powerstroke.
I also have a 2500 Duramax and I don't think that I could go back to gasser ever again.
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2010, 10:20 AM  
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,560

i'm getting about 12 (2006) but I'm only my second tank

I'm too scared to buy a 6.0 as well.

In my research, the v10 is super reliable,
after 2003 won't eject spark plugs
after 2005 has 362 hp
is a bit thirsty, but not much worse than the 6.4 was/is

I like mine

Last edited by JT Wood; 12-23-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:50 AM  
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 9,698

Well, I figure that even though I'm using more fuel, the cheaper maintenance costs will still out weigh the cost of owning diesel. I would way rather prefer a diesel, but I just have to stick to the numbers for the next few years. I only drove my truck 10K miles last year. Most of the time it is local driving. My 7.3 barely warms up. I'm looking. there are definitely way more diesels out there than there are v10s.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:21 AM  
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

I did a bunch of looking into the pros and cons of the V10 and the Diesel a while back, I think one of the issues that always came up was the life of the motor /tranny in the diesel was longer than the V10, with the thoughts being as long as you did the maintenance you could expect up to 30% more life or something like 300,000 miles on a diesel.

Maybe some others have heard that too or not?
Old 12-23-2010, 05:40 PM  
Pro

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 998

I know someone with a v10 in an 03. 500km a tank. Doesnt matter whats behind it.
My 04 with a 6.0L towing my trailer daily in town gets 550-600km a tank. I also idle way more than I should. Highway driving? Easily 800km a tank. (CC SRW SB)
Don't be afraid of the 6.0L's, just make sure you stay on top of basic maintenance. Oil changes are its life.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:03 PM  
Pro

Trade: Construction and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,464

I have an 09 f250 4x4 with the v10 regular cab long bed and 4:10 gears. I get anywhere between 7 and 9 mpg. Usually even when towing I get about 8mpg. If its a real heavy load it will be around 7mpg.

I really don't care, but I wish I could get a little better mileage. Maybe I'm a little heavy on the pedal

Edit as far as pulling power, It will pull anything I have put behind it. I have pulled some pretty steep grades, I wouldn't have won any races though The heaviest I have towed would be about 12,000lbs.

Dave

Last edited by dkillianjr; 12-23-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:23 PM  
Head Grunt

Trade: Electrical Contractor&Home Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,196

A buddy of mine has an 08 RCLB F-350 with the V-10, he claims 7-8mpg towing, 10-11mpg on open highway empty and 4.5-6mpg when plowing. He loves the power and cheap costs but he regrets getting rid of the 02 F-350 7.3 he had for the power and fuel milage.

IMO the extra fuel milage should offset the extra costs of maintaining the diesel, what really cost more in the long run? Gas jobs are suppose to replace a fuel filter every 15k if they have one, air filters are suppose to be replaced every year regardless, the diesel can go much further on an oil change if you run full synthetic, tires should wear the same. At least with a diesel you get a stronger driveline than i gasser.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:27 PM  
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 94

My 09 F250 2WD started out at 11.4 mpg.and went to 14 on trips.
Lately 15000 miles later it has dropped to around 10mpg around town.
I only do sporatic towing so I can't give any results.
Like all my other Fords,I expect 10 good maintenance free tears and
another 3 or 4 of coddling it to keep away from payments.
If it wasn't for the salted roads I'd still be running the last one.
Only had 114,000 miles,the damn frame rotted off,but she still
ran good.

Last edited by oldfrt; 12-23-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:55 PM  
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Finley View Post
I did a bunch of looking into the pros and cons of the V10 and the Diesel a while back, I think one of the issues that always came up was the life of the motor /tranny in the diesel was longer than the V10, with the thoughts being as long as you did the maintenance you could expect up to 30% more life or something like 300,000 miles on a diesel.

Maybe some others have heard that too or not?

The transmission will be the same,

And for the most part, imo any well maintained triton motor will easily go 300k miles.

I think for the most part, the gas or diesel will both last for the life of the vehicle. At 300k everything is getting run down and wearing out anyway
Old 12-23-2010, 07:56 PM  
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck2 View Post
A buddy of mine has an 08 RCLB F-350 with the V-10, he claims 7-8mpg towing, 10-11mpg on open highway empty and 4.5-6mpg when plowing. He loves the power and cheap costs but he regrets getting rid of the 02 F-350 7.3 he had for the power and fuel milage.

IMO the extra fuel milage should offset the extra costs of maintaining the diesel, what really cost more in the long run? Gas jobs are suppose to replace a fuel filter every 15k if they have one, air filters are suppose to be replaced every year regardless, the diesel can go much further on an oil change if you run full synthetic, tires should wear the same. At least with a diesel you get a stronger driveline than i gasser.

What do you mean stronger driveline?
Old 12-23-2010, 08:00 PM  
Carpe Diem

Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Rewards Points: 1,114

I believe there are a few internals that are different in the diesel tranny. That makes up for the extra torque but overall, it's the same model trans.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:57 PM  
Pro

i thought I read, that the shift points were different only?
Old 12-24-2010, 12:05 AM  
Head Grunt

Trade: Electrical Contractor&Home Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,196

Most diesel trannies are better built with stronger internals. Even as far back as the 80's the trannies were different. The TH400 behind a 6.2 was different than a TH400 behind a 454ci. Dodge has been known for bad trannies for how many years, yet the tranny behind the Cummins seem to last longer than one behind a 360ci or 318ci. Yes, the trannies have the same case, sensors and bolt patterns but inside they are different.

It is not just trannies either, diesels come with larger tranny coolers, hydrolic brake assist instead of vacuum assist, larger u-joints and larger driveshafts.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:15 AM  
Pro

I'd almost bet the torqshift is nearly if not completely the same

Either way though, I'm sure the powertrain is strong enough to handle the motor it comes with.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:59 AM  
Tool Junkie

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Torqshift 5R110 is the same in a diesel as in a gasser the only difference is in the programming. 5= five forward gears, R= reverse, 110= can handle 1100 lb ft of torque on the input shaft these are great transmissions, IMO they are far superior to the allison
Old 12-31-2010, 08:10 PM  
New Guy

Trade: Fire Alarms, CCTV, Card Access, etc
Rewards Points: 10

It actually has 6 forward gears but it only uses 5 in the shift patterns. The Torqshift will take a licking for a long time, they are a stout tranny. The V10 will be a nice truck for you.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: