Transit Vs. Promaster - Vehicles - Contractor Talk

Transit Vs. Promaster

Old 05-02-2017, 06:59 PM   #1
Always Learning

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 812

Transit Vs. Promaster

Looks like we are getting more serious about replacing our 2001 E350. Test drove a 2017 3500 Promaster today. High roof and long wheelbase but not the extended. Seems like a decent size. My partner is 6'3" and could easily stand up in the back. Would end up doing a 2500 most likely. Hardly any difference between the 2 sizes except for price.

Going to go test drive a Transit 250 mid roof, mid wheelbase later this week.

New pricing isn't all that much more than a decent used plus there are a tone of upfit rebates for new. Probably just do the ladder rack, floor package, and bulkhead. Then we will build out the cargo area similar to our van with improvements.

Spencer still loving your Transit? Any Promaster guys out there to chime in?

Does seem like the front wheel drive of the ProMaster might fair a little better in snow.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2017, 07:31 PM   #2

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 96

Re: Transit Vs. Promaster

I have had my promaster since june of 2014 and love it. Have the 2500 high roof gas model and would't change it for anything. Have over 80,000 miles on it and has been maintenace free. Had a couple of small items that the warrantee took care of. I average around 18 mpg with over half of those miles on the interstate.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rondon For This Useful Post:
overanalyze (05-02-2017), sparehair (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 07:31 PM   #3

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 214

I picked up a used Promaster 3500 159wb extended in February. Dealer replaced the leaking oil filter housing under warranty.

The thing that was most surprising is the turning radius is quite good. It also pulls my 7x14 trailer well around town. Step in height is low enough that it doesn't bother me. I got the van to get rid of the tool trailer, just need to find some time to fit up the van and transfer all of the tools over.

Overall I am happy. I find the locks to be weird, but I am adjusting. Turn signal, cruise control, wiper control took me a couple of days to get used to. Fuel economy around town with the v6 is 14mpg. I have put 3000 miles on it since I bought it. It does well in the snow. I have not driven a Transit.

Pic is hooked up to a 20' trailer filled with millwork.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jengebretson For This Useful Post:
overanalyze (05-02-2017), sparehair (05-02-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2017, 09:27 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Painting, flooring
Rewards Points: 1,358

Quote:
Originally Posted by overanalyze View Post
Looks like we are getting more serious about replacing our 2001 E350. Test drove a 2017 3500 Promaster today. High roof and long wheelbase but not the extended. Seems like a decent size. My partner is 6'3" and could easily stand up in the back. Would end up doing a 2500 most likely. Hardly any difference between the 2 sizes except for price.

Going to go test drive a Transit 250 mid roof, mid wheelbase later this week.

New pricing isn't all that much more than a decent used plus there are a tone of upfit rebates for new. Probably just do the ladder rack, floor package, and bulkhead. Then we will build out the cargo area similar to our van with improvements.

Spencer still loving your Transit? Any Promaster guys out there to chime in?

Does seem like the front wheel drive of the ProMaster might fair a little better in snow.
It seems like theres a pretty good discount if you buy one used with about 20k on it, at least in portland.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2017, 09:43 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparehair View Post
It seems like theres a pretty good discount if you buy one used with about 20k on it, at least in portland.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Where at......I'll drive up.....
Old 05-02-2017, 10:04 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,794

I just bought a 2016 Transit, low roof and med WB, it replaced my 07 E250. I have had it about 5 or 6 weeks now and am very pleased with it. I have the 3.7 L motor and I have no complaints. I load plenty of ladders on the roof and carry a good bit of gear inside, pulling my 14' enclosed trailer with a fair load has been no trouble.

I could complain about one or two things, the roof has a weight limit of something like 480lbs for the load on a rack, that could be an issue. it has goofy door Windows that only half the window goes up and down. Also there is little space between the seats and then they put a hand brake there so no where to load lunch pails etc. Minor stuff I know.

My concern with the Promaster was it being front wheel drive. I pull a 60' bucket lift and it puts a lot of weight on the rear of the van. My concern was could the front wheel drive van move it around when off the road, especially on inclines. I was doubtful.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Ohio painter; 05-02-2017 at 10:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio painter For This Useful Post:
overanalyze (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 10:52 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 10,912

I find it hard to see how a 3.7L could pull and loaded down van up the rises we have over here? I guess it's all about the gearing?? I also don't like this new keyless thing So it gets a dead battery how am I gonna get in to pop the hood latch
Old 05-02-2017, 11:52 PM   #8
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 6,360

I have an ecoboost transit medium roof medium wheelbase T250. I love it, tons of power, even with 3500 pounds loaded. I don't care much about fuel cost because it's less than 1% of my costs, but I do average 13mpg on the same streets my Tundra got 11. My mpg is so low because my average trip is 20mph and a couple miles.

On the highway if I really try I can get 20mpg. I only have about 1000 pounds of tools and shelving.

The promaster has some attractive specs as far as packaging. Shorter vehicle with more interior space, more headroom in the medium roof. I went Transit because it just drives and feels better.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Golden view For This Useful Post:
overanalyze (05-03-2017), sparehair (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 10:57 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Low voltage
Rewards Points: 642

I was in your boat last year. Looked hard at both the pro master and Transit. I couldn't get past the fwd of the promaster. Also. The ecoboost engine is a must imho if you carry weight. I wouldn't go powerstroke at all. To many issues and roi is not there.
Promaster carries the load lower to the pavement but everything else imho the transit wins.
The Following User Says Thank You to SearchforSignal For This Useful Post:
overanalyze (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 11:28 AM   #10
I'm on a boat!

Trade: Yacht carpenter
Rewards Points: 3,442

2015 promaster 1500 high roof mid wheel base here. Love it. I average around 15mpg loaded with tools. I like how high up you sit versus the transit.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:48 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,794

Hills are not too much of an issue here so the 3.7 does just fine. If hills are an issue where you drive and you pull a decent load around then I would go 3.5L turbo and make sure the gearing is right.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio painter For This Useful Post:
overanalyze (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 02:41 PM   #12
Always Learning

No hills in our area at all...we are flaaaaatttt.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Ohio painter (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 03:44 PM   #13
I'm on a boat!

Trade: Yacht carpenter
Rewards Points: 3,442

We've got a few hills here. Well, actually they're just bridges. Nevermind...
The Following User Says Thank You to J L For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 06:15 PM   #14
Always Learning

We have a test drive tomorrow for the Transit. Curious how different it is.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2017, 06:37 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 10,912

Quote:
Originally Posted by J L View Post
We've got a few hills here. Well, actually they're just bridges. Nevermind...
The inter coastal water way We would go all the way up to the draw bridge and when it want down run to the other side and jump on our skate boards and bomb the bridge
We have full on steep rises here.
Attached Thumbnails
Transit vs. Promaster-img_20170427_080040954.jpg  

Last edited by Dirtywhiteboy; 05-03-2017 at 06:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirtywhiteboy For This Useful Post:
J L (05-04-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 08:04 PM   #16
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 14,742

Not to throw a monkey wrench in the mix but have you checked out the Nissan? I saw a fella at the he gas station driving one of the big Nissan work vans and asked him what he thought of it. Said it's his wifes daily driver. Apparently he's a truck driver and her and the kids will keep him company every once in a while. Thought that was kind of cool but he said for the money it was a no brainier for him.

I was dead set on an F150 and then started researching the Titan XD pro-4x and it's a lot more truck than the Ford for a lot better price.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deckhead For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (05-03-2017), overanalyze (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 08:14 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Wiring
Rewards Points: 2,828

I have wanted to try the promaster but no one here rents them they all have the Ford Transit

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2017, 08:37 PM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
Not to throw a monkey wrench in the mix but have you checked out the Nissan? I saw a fella at the he gas station driving one of the big Nissan work vans and asked him what he thought of it. Said it's his wifes daily driver. Apparently he's a truck driver and her and the kids will keep him company every once in a while. Thought that was kind of cool but he said for the money it was a no brainier for him.

I was dead set on an F150 and then started researching the Titan XD pro-4x and it's a lot more truck than the Ford for a lot better price.
Always good to have other input! The biggest reason we went with these 2 brands is we have Factory dealerships for both in town. Closest Nissan would be a drive for service.

As far as trucks...die hard Ford guy! I love my F150!
Deckhead (05-04-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 09:44 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: General Remodeling
Rewards Points: 318

Quote:
That's cause it's a Nissan and it's ugly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xtrememtnbiker For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (05-04-2017), Pearce Services (05-14-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 10:03 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 598

Quote:

an HVAC company here runs the NV high roof cargo and the compact cargo, I walked through the high roof one today and I am an instant fan

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Bull Trout For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (05-04-2017)