Taking A Look At This Trailer, Thoughts? - Vehicles - Contractor Talk

Taking A Look At This Trailer, Thoughts?

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2018, 08:06 AM   #1
Pro
 
Joasis's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hennessey, Oklahoma
Posts: 9,097
Rewards Points: 2,796

Taking A Look At This Trailer, Thoughts?


http://kerrbilt.com/page/1486_2?productID=729&


This is a video of a similar trailer: https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...4&action=click

I am 250 miles from container yards where I can buy 20 foot and 40 foot containers for decent prices with a broker, since I would be a continuing customer. $2200 typical on a good condition 40, and those sell for $3,300 up here. Plus, I would be really interested in leasing them out, or rent to own...plus maybe doing custom conversions on containers. Lots of options.

So back to the trailer....I really screwed the pooch in a way when I traded down to gas...but I can get exact payoff on my new truck within this week, less the tag, if I upgrade to a dually 3500 diesel 4x4. The trailer with 12,000# axles and a winch runs the cost to $20,500...trading in a 30' tandem dual gooseneck, so final cost would be $15,000. Cost me $11,000 to upgrade back to a diesel dually.

Now....besides containers, with this trailer, I can probably safely haul our telehandlers. 24,000#, and any of our lifts, even the 60 foot boom, 20,000#.....

Then dump my semi tractor and trailer, plus a 48 foot storage van, since I would be able to move it again, and save enough on insurance to pay the higher tags on the 1 ton.

Sound like a plan? Anyone see a better way to do this?
__________________
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
405 853 1563

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Joasis is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 09-30-2018, 08:08 AM   #2
Pro
 
Joasis's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hennessey, Oklahoma
Posts: 9,097
Rewards Points: 2,796

Re: Taking A Look At This Trailer, Thoughts?


The current transport.
Attached Thumbnails
Taking a look at this trailer, thoughts?-1538312841733.jpg  

Advertisement

__________________
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
405 853 1563

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Joasis is offline  
Old 09-30-2018, 08:12 AM   #3
John the Builder
 
SmallTownGuy's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 14,320
Rewards Points: 4,164

Re: Taking A Look At This Trailer, Thoughts?


A lot of trailer for the money. What brand axles and suspension ?
__________________
All my Life loving Hippie friends turned into soul-sucking Conservatives - or died. Same difference.
"Mornin' ladies, my goodness don't you look happy. Must be cuttin' somebody up pretty good." - Andy Griffiths
SmallTownGuy is offline  
   
 
Old 09-30-2018, 08:18 AM   #4
Pro
 
Joasis's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hennessey, Oklahoma
Posts: 9,097
Rewards Points: 2,796

Re: Taking A Look At This Trailer, Thoughts?


Warner I believe. Spring suspension, and it has an upgrade to air brakes and bags, but I would like to get out of the semi.
__________________
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
405 853 1563

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Joasis is offline  
Old 09-30-2018, 11:16 AM   #5
John the Builder
 
SmallTownGuy's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 14,320
Rewards Points: 4,164

Re: Taking A Look At This Trailer, Thoughts?


All I know, is last fall, I hauled the CAT 416 behind a Dodge on a pintle hitch 2 axle, and electric brakes suck.
__________________
All my Life loving Hippie friends turned into soul-sucking Conservatives - or died. Same difference.
"Mornin' ladies, my goodness don't you look happy. Must be cuttin' somebody up pretty good." - Andy Griffiths
SmallTownGuy is offline  
Old 09-30-2018, 11:23 AM   #6
Pro
 
Lettusbee's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ft Collins, CO
Posts: 2,440
Rewards Points: 532

Re: Taking A Look At This Trailer, Thoughts?


Maybe instead of ditching the gas truck, just buy a dedicated 1 Ton cab and chassis truck. Base Model to keep it cheap.
Dunno, just throwing ideas out.
Lettusbee is online now  
Old 09-30-2018, 11:28 AM   #7
Pro
 
TheConstruct's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpentry
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Kamloops BC
Posts: 407
Rewards Points: 704

Re: Taking A Look At This Trailer, Thoughts?


Interesting tip system, is that common?
TheConstruct is online now  
Old 09-30-2018, 01:31 PM   #8
Pro
 
Joasis's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hennessey, Oklahoma
Posts: 9,097
Rewards Points: 2,796

Re: Taking A Look At This Trailer, Thoughts?


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConstruct View Post
Interesting tip system, is that common?

There is a version I like better, the axle group slides...all the way forward and the trailer deck is on the ground low angle. Axles slide back, and normal deck height. But more costly.
__________________
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
405 853 1563

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Joasis is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Joasis For This Useful Post:
TheConstruct (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 01:35 PM   #9
Pro
 
Joasis's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hennessey, Oklahoma
Posts: 9,097
Rewards Points: 2,796

Re: Taking A Look At This Trailer, Thoughts?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lettusbee View Post
Maybe instead of ditching the gas truck, just buy a dedicated 1 Ton cab and chassis truck. Base Model to keep it cheap.
Dunno, just throwing ideas out.

I am kind of trying to reduce expenses. I wanted the smoother ride, and I like the 2500 gas truck...but this kind of came up suddenly.

There is a downside to running a dually tagged at 54,000#. I will have to put my DOT numbers on the side, and get E-Logs. Also, no firearms in a commercial vehicle regardless of concealed carry. And only CDL drivers....

Or I may get the trailer in a step deck configuration, and use the Semi to haul. Fuel mileage sucks on the M11 Cummins....5 mpg empty or loaded.
__________________
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
405 853 1563

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Joasis is offline  
Old 09-30-2018, 02:25 PM   #10
Fire up the BBQ
 
griz's Avatar
 
Trade: GC
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 21,234
Rewards Points: 1,038

Re: Taking A Look At This Trailer, Thoughts?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joasis View Post
http://kerrbilt.com/page/1486_2?productID=729&


This is a video of a similar trailer: https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...4&action=click

I am 250 miles from container yards where I can buy 20 foot and 40 foot containers for decent prices with a broker, since I would be a continuing customer. $2200 typical on a good condition 40, and those sell for $3,300 up here. Plus, I would be really interested in leasing them out, or rent to own...plus maybe doing custom conversions on containers. Lots of options.

So back to the trailer....I really screwed the pooch in a way when I traded down to gas...but I can get exact payoff on my new truck within this week, less the tag, if I upgrade to a dually 3500 diesel 4x4. The trailer with 12,000# axles and a winch runs the cost to $20,500...trading in a 30' tandem dual gooseneck, so final cost would be $15,000. Cost me $11,000 to upgrade back to a diesel dually.

Now....besides containers, with this trailer, I can probably safely haul our telehandlers. 24,000#, and any of our lifts, even the 60 foot boom, 20,000#.....

Then dump my semi tractor and trailer, plus a 48 foot storage van, since I would be able to move it again, and save enough on insurance to pay the higher tags on the 1 ton.

Sound like a plan? Anyone see a better way to do this?
looks like a very cool setup...

interesting, dam near the same costs for a container here.
__________________
SOME JOBS JUST AREN'T WORTH DOING:
griz is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to griz For This Useful Post:
Joasis (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 04:18 PM   #11
Pro
 
Lettusbee's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ft Collins, CO
Posts: 2,440
Rewards Points: 532

Re: Taking A Look At This Trailer, Thoughts?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joasis View Post
I am kind of trying to reduce expenses. I wanted the smoother ride, and I like the 2500 gas truck...but this kind of came up suddenly.

There is a downside to running a dually tagged at 54,000#. I will have to put my DOT numbers on the side, and get E-Logs. Also, no firearms in a commercial vehicle regardless of concealed carry. And only CDL drivers....

Or I may get the trailer in a step deck configuration, and use the Semi to haul. Fuel mileage sucks on the M11 Cummins....5 mpg empty or loaded.
Wasn't sure about your motivations. I've had 3/4 ton diesels most of my adult life. Last truck I bought new I swore would be my last. It's 2015 Ram 2500, and now that my wife is picking out an RV, I'm like "Dammit, I'm gonna have to get a 1 ton."
Lettusbee is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Lettusbee For This Useful Post:
Joasis (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 07:27 PM   #12
Pro
 
Dan_Watson's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling Contractor/Helical Post Installer
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 4,266
Rewards Points: 2,536

Re: Taking A Look At This Trailer, Thoughts?


Containers cost the same here, delivered. But we are ~110 miles from the port they are coming from.

Moving it only costs $350. Same for equipment. As soon as you add up our truck, trailer, insurance, license, maintenance, payroll, etc, its cheaper to pay someone else than do it in house. But it is only a couple times a year for us.
Dan_Watson is offline  
Old 09-30-2018, 08:03 PM   #13
Pro
 
Joasis's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hennessey, Oklahoma
Posts: 9,097
Rewards Points: 2,796

Re: Taking A Look At This Trailer, Thoughts?


I am looking at adding containers to my business. I have 3 now, and I move them with a gooseneck trailer, and it is a PITA.

It makes sense if I will be buying like 4 or 5 a month, and hauling them, plus moving them for others here, especially if I short term rent or lease them. The rate here is quoted at $500 a month to rent them (oil filed prices). The other side is moving my equipment on a new trailer that is easier on the lifts.
__________________
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
405 853 1563

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Joasis is offline  
Old 09-30-2018, 08:20 PM   #14
Pro
 
TimNJ's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeler
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,738
Rewards Points: 3,910

Re: Taking A Look At This Trailer, Thoughts?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Watson View Post
Containers cost the same here, delivered. But we are ~110 miles from the port they are coming from.

Moving it only costs $350. Same for equipment. As soon as you add up our truck, trailer, insurance, license, maintenance, payroll, etc, its cheaper to pay someone else than do it in house. But it is only a couple times a year for us.


Who do you have to move them for that?

I wanted a container but couldn't find anybody to move it. I called a few trucking companies and they all said if I had a crane to put on their flat bed they would haul it.
__________________
Trump-The "Con Man's" Con Man.

Last edited by TimNJ; 09-30-2018 at 08:28 PM.
TimNJ is offline  
Old 09-30-2018, 08:53 PM   #15
Pro
 
Donohue Const's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Granada, MN
Posts: 968
Rewards Points: 1,312

Re: Taking A Look At This Trailer, Thoughts?


if you get a gooseneck with two 12k axles, you wont be able to put a telehandler on it
trailer wont have enough payload

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
__________________
Ryan
-----------
www.ryandonohueconstruction.com
Donohue Const is offline  
Old 10-01-2018, 02:25 AM   #16
Pro
 
Joasis's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hennessey, Oklahoma
Posts: 9,097
Rewards Points: 2,796

Re: Taking A Look At This Trailer, Thoughts?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Donohue Const View Post
if you get a gooseneck with two 12k axles, you wont be able to put a telehandler on it
trailer wont have enough payload

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Obviously. But in realty, it is done all the time. The next step is 20k axles. Then you pay the heavy use FET. $3,000 last time I priced a standard low boy.

In reality, the 12k axles will do fine. The oil field trucking companies around here are using the oil bath 12k axles and have no real issues with them, other then brakes. Also my choice of upgrade is the hydraulic disc brakes.

I think it is kind of interesting they will allow us to tag a dually for 54,000# in my opinion. But....I may go ahead with doing the trailer with a step deck and fifth wheel plate, setting it up on my semi instead of the dually. Going with air brakes. Bouncing the ideas out there. I trust air brakes...I have never pulled any trailer with electric brakes that I trusted or felt safe with. Ever.
__________________
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
405 853 1563

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Joasis is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joasis For This Useful Post:
Donohue Const (10-01-2018), SmallTownGuy (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 06:56 AM   #17
Pro
 
Donohue Const's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Granada, MN
Posts: 968
Rewards Points: 1,312

Re: Taking A Look At This Trailer, Thoughts?


very true, a tandem dual 12k axle set up will haul the lift just fine.
just not sure how often you run into the dot around you
I was looking into one with two 15k axles, wasn't much more money

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
__________________
Ryan
-----------
www.ryandonohueconstruction.com
Donohue Const is offline  
Old 10-01-2018, 07:15 AM   #18
Pro
 
Joasis's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hennessey, Oklahoma
Posts: 9,097
Rewards Points: 2,796

Re: Taking A Look At This Trailer, Thoughts?


I am really amazed that you can legally tag a dual rear wheel 1 ton for 54,000lbs.

Based on the maximum vehicle weight, 12k axles are fine.

I do not remember Kerr saying anything about 15k axles as an option, but when you get to 20s, you get the heavy road use tax, or whatever it is called.
__________________
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
405 853 1563

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Joasis is offline  
Old 10-01-2018, 07:24 AM   #19
Contractor of the Month
 
Inner10's Avatar
 
Trade: Control Systems
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 24,991
Rewards Points: 2,678

Re: Taking A Look At This Trailer, Thoughts?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joasis View Post
I am really amazed that you can legally tag a dual rear wheel 1 ton for 54,000lbs.

Based on the maximum vehicle weight, 12k axles are fine.

I do not remember Kerr saying anything about 15k axles as an option, but when you get to 20s, you get the heavy road use tax, or whatever it is called.
What 1 ton has a GCWR of 50k?
__________________
The Following User Says Thank You to Inner10 For This Useful Post: Leo G
Inner10 is offline  
Old 10-01-2018, 07:38 AM   #20
Pro
 
Joasis's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hennessey, Oklahoma
Posts: 9,097
Rewards Points: 2,796

Re: Taking A Look At This Trailer, Thoughts?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
What 1 ton has a GCWR of 50k?
None. But you can tag one for it. The state doesn't care.

And this works like this: It is based on axles, how many and how far apart.

You are allowed like 16k for the front, 20k for the drive, and 36k for the tandem duals.

In theory, you can get #72,000 just like that.

In reality, you cannot, safely, but you look at the weight the truck is rated to pull. Plus the maximum it is rated at gross weight and go from there. To make it work in a less then class 7 or 8 truck, you would need to be at the 4500 or 5500 Dodge, or whatever your flavor is. The Dodge is rated at pulling like 24,000 lbs with no modifications.

DOT apparently doesn't care because the oil fields are teaming with 3500s pulling tandem dual goosenecks in hot shot applications.

Advertisement

__________________
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
405 853 1563

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Joasis is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Watch your trailer weights! BCConstruction Tools & Equipment 24 04-15-2013 08:53 PM
What tow vehicle do you think would be best for a mobile blasting trailer? Blast Off Sandblasting 0 03-06-2013 02:06 PM
Trailer size & Truck size(towing capacity) Dmitry Vehicles 19 01-24-2013 09:30 PM
Drawer-Based Trailer Project (Lots of Photos) BuildersII Tools & Equipment 48 04-10-2011 11:12 AM
installing 250 cfm compressor into enclosed trailer JohnnysMB Sandblasting 44 12-31-2010 11:03 AM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?