Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum

Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum (https://www.contractortalk.com/forum.php)
-   Vehicles (https://www.contractortalk.com/f41/)
-   -   Speedometer light (https://www.contractortalk.com/f41/speedometer-light-412929/)

Tom M 11-08-2018 07:59 AM

Speedometer light
 
Can you replace a bulb in the cluster or do you need to replace them if it goes dark?

My whole instrument cluster is fine but speedometer. It was half dark for a long time but blew it off because it was on the high end of the speed gauge. Now its all black.

The wire connector clip together so I doubt pot holes wiggled anything loose.

WarnerConstInc. 11-08-2018 08:01 AM

Should be able to. I don't own anything new enough that I cant.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tom M 11-08-2018 08:04 AM

Its an 05

WarnerConstInc. 11-08-2018 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom M (Post 7404695)
Its an 05

The biggest pia is taking the dash apart.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MarkJames 11-08-2018 09:05 AM


tgeb 11-08-2018 09:52 AM

As he states in the video, replace them all at the same time.

Tom M 11-08-2018 12:44 PM

I found a good video of my specific vehicle but they only mention removing the cluster to send out for service not anything about replacing bulbs.

As Tom said the video Mark posted it's not quite what we're looking for.

Peter_C 11-08-2018 01:44 PM

Always helps to post Year Make and Model when asking for any kind of vehicle help.



Go to youtube and run a search quarry for your vehicle and dash light*.

Like "2005 Bugatti Veyron dash light*" May need to remove the year or change it to a similar year even.

SmallTownGuy 11-08-2018 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom M (Post 7404829)
I found a good video of my specific vehicle but they only mention removing the cluster to send out for service not anything about replacing bulbs.

As Tom said the video Mark posted it's not quite what we're looking for.

Depending on the vehicle, there is a whole cottage industry devoted to repairing dash lights on certain GM vehicles. Something about printed circuits. Dont remember the details.

Tom M 11-08-2018 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy (Post 7404953)
Depending on the vehicle, there is a whole cottage industry devoted to repairing dash lights on certain GM vehicles. Something about printed circuits. Dont remember the details.

Yeah Saw that. Wouldn't that knock you off the road in the interim? I would hope they handle it like starters or alternators. Give you rebuilt with security you bring back the old one.

Tom M 12-08-2018 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. (Post 7404711)
The biggest pia is taking the dash apart.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Finally got around to this. Taking the dash apart was a hassle. The wiring harnesses dont give a lot of slack/

I went to pep boys looking for the lights, the guy said, "the computer isnt showing any, take it out and bring it in we will match it up".

Some bitch........after all that hassle I go back and another guy looks in the computer and says, "oh we wont have that, you need to order it".

$37 for a pack of 5. I have to put back together and do it all over again down the road

rescraft 12-08-2018 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom M (Post 7426307)
Finally got around to this. Taking the dash apart was a hassle. The wiring harnesses dont give a lot of slack/

I went to pep boys looking for the lights, the guy said, "the computer isnt showing any, take it out and bring it in we will match it up".

Some bitch........after all that hassle I go back and another guy looks in the computer and says, "oh we wont have that, you need to order it".

$37 for a pack of 5. I have to put back together and do it all over again down the road

General Motors product? I need to do this with my 2500HD. They sell the stepper motors as a kit, about $55; most important thing is to tape the existing position of each gauge's needle, so that when you replace the stepper motors, everything works as original.
FWIW--been driving for 4 years now, and the only gauge that works in my cluster is the fuel gauge!!

Calidecks 12-09-2018 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom M (Post 7404695)
Its an 05



I had to replace the cluster in my 03 2500. The issue is the computer they need to reset all your settings. Mine had the driver information Center. If I remember right, there are companies that will repair them, but I just ordered new.


Mike.
_______________
[emoji631] [emoji631]

Tom M 12-09-2018 08:39 AM

My cluster seems to be fine I put everything back together last night and everything was restored.

Leo G 12-09-2018 08:45 AM

Thee ole take it apart, find nothing wrong, put it back together and it works again - trick?

Tom M 12-09-2018 09:03 AM

No I had to order lights! Come on man lol.

I was hoping for that though. With all of the potholes I was looking for loose connections.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.