So I Bought A New Trailer.. - Vehicles - Contractor Talk

So I Bought A New Trailer..

Old 04-19-2011, 12:16 AM   #1
President

Trade: Residential Repaints
Rewards Points: 1,316

So I Bought A New Trailer..

its a decent little trailer.... 14x7 single axle and doesnt seem to bounce all that much. However lever everything else I have ever bought, now I must modify the crap out of it LOL

First things first... the license plate location on the fender totally sucked, and thus I moved it to the gate. Even though its no longer 'lighted'

then I had to paint a few things... added pin striping... extra lights (brakes turn and running lights) to the top of each fender...

Then I decided that the deck on the trailer... eh.. works for most but not for me... So I used exterior plywood with stainless screws... I am also making the sides taller... gonna look really nice when its done... Now if I could get the stain to dry faster is 40F heat

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-19-2011, 06:11 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling contractor
Rewards Points: 1,008

Re: So I Bought A New Trailer..

Congrats on the new trailer.
Looks handy.

A couple of critiques.

The lights on top of the fender wells?
Not a good idea.
Those will be in the way anytime you want to sling stuff off to the side.

Get yourself an offset hitch so your trailer sits level.

From a Trailer Veteran..........

Advertisement

Old 04-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Looks really handy, how much weight can it carry?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
President

Well I am building the sides up about 30 inches from the deck... and those sides are kinda permanent...

But wont an offset hitch make the trailer /truck look over loaded when the trailer has weight on it?

It can haul 2500 lbs as it sits, however next winter I plan to sneak a second axle under it.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Professional Painter!
Rewards Points: 920

A trailer should nose down slightly when properly connected.

I believe this will keep weight on the tow vehicle when panic stopping, nose up as you now have it, will tend to lift the tow vehicle, which could lead you being able to see it next to you during the crash.

Nice looking trailer.

www.gebcon.com
Old 04-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 218

next week you can figure out what's leaking oil all over your driveway!
The Following User Says Thank You to dayexco For This Useful Post:
rex (04-19-2011)
Old 04-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #7

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 25

to level out truck use firestoneindustrial.com/ I have installed these on all my trucks, wouldn't do with out them. Does the trailer have brakes? Why not just buy a tandem axle trailer to start with?
Old 04-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
Remodeling Professionals

Trade: New Construction and Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeb View Post
A trailer should nose down slightly when properly connected.

I believe this will keep weight on the tow vehicle when panic stopping, nose up as you now have it, will tend to lift the tow vehicle, which could lead you being able to see it next to you during the crash.

Nice looking trailer.
I disagree, the trailer should be level or slightly inclined at the front. Too much weight on the trailer tongue and hitch if it's nose down at the front. "Seeing the trailer next to you" after a panic stop would be the result of improper weight distribution, not hitch ball height. Need to set the load properly over the axle, and a trailer nosing down at the front will put too much stress on the hitch connection.

The Following User Says Thank You to buildenterprise For This Useful Post:
Willie T (04-20-2011)
Old 04-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
Remodeling Professionals

Trade: New Construction and Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 502

Man, those fender mounted lights are just begging to get snapped off.....

Old 04-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Fences
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildenterprise View Post
Man, those fender mounted lights are just begging to get snapped off.....
x2

your first dump trip you will lose the lights when unloading.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #11
President

Eh the lights arnt going anywhere. their not like the new ones (plastic) their metal and theyll deform the fender before they break off. In two years instead of being chrome theyll be rusty

I got the trailer, brand new and paid $1200 for it plus tax.. so it was like $1400 with the plates and DMV fees. A tandem axle starts at around 2100 up here. I know trailers in other parts of the country are alot cheaper.for the price difference I can put a second axle under it, wire up the brakes the right way and hook it all up in such a way that my kids will be using it, vs just buying what I need and having it fall apart in 10 years.

Besides what else am I gonna do in January?

The trailer doesnt 'require' brakes according to NYS, however I plan to add brakes to the trailer myself.

As nice as these trailers are when their new (I have looked at many, including used trailers) their not built overly well, They look as though they are built to last X amount of years before they begin to fall apart, and look crappy.

As it stands right now, I plan to completely strip the trailer next summer, sandblast, prime and paint the entire trailer a different color.

We did that with our boat trailer in the early 1990's, and that trailer still looks almost new today, and thats an original 1986 tandem axle ez loader trailer. There isnt a single 1986 ezloader trailer still in one piece on the planet except the one I sold two years ago
Old 04-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #12

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 10

What are you planning on hauling with the trailer?
604-788-3382
Old 04-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

Carr, I'm not so sure the frame on that thing will carry the load if you go to double axles. Why not just keep that one as it is, and in the future sell it and buy a tandum?

If you put double axles and brakes on that, are you then required to have a sticker for it? If so, I'm sure the frame won't pass inspection for the weight rating of double axles.

My tandum trailer has to be inspected and stickered every year. But it may be different where you are.

I'm still pretty sure if you do all that and the MTO pulls you over, there's gonna be trouble. Look into it before you go to all that work buddy.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:35 AM   #14
President

well the other issue is the load capacity of the towing vehicle. Im towing the trailer with my ford ranger... which has a max capacity of 5500lbs trailer weight. the tandem axle idea is a possibility though nothing is set in stone. Everything I have read and heard, says these single axle trailers like to bounce around. However the limited trailering I have had with this one thus far, the trailer seems pretty well planted.

As far as hauling stuff, Mainly dirt from the towns compost facility, to get that weight off my truck... Now that I have found a good place to get what I call 'super dirt' cheap, now everyone I know wants some.

As well as fire wood, as I heat my shop primarly with wood. As well as moving my 1976 Cub Cadet tractor to my moms to plow her side walks in the winter (hopefully)

I am also kicking around an idea of possibly building a rack for the trailer (removeable) so that I can put my ladders on the trailer instead of having to go with some exotic design for a ladder rack on my truck.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:49 PM   #15
President

Well I finished the trailer (almost) Gotta add some back up lights to it..

The sides are done with stain and 3 coats of clear gloss poly. the floor is 1/4" exterior plywood, with 8 coats of poly and glass bead.

Its put together with stainless hardware.

The wire mesh, is galvanized metal lath. Contrary to popular belief, and what you might be thinking, the stuff doesnt rust. I put that around my yard, so the dog coulnt hop thruogh the fence, and its been out there for four years and still looks brand new... soo... this stuff will last awhile. Plus, you dont see it from a distance.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:25 PM   #16
master hacker of wood

Trade: restoration carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,730

looks good now but when ya load it, will the expanded metal look like crap? i did the same to my trailer and just did plywood, nothing fancy like you did though.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:30 PM   #17
President

you mean will the metal lath deform? it shouldnt. Its bolted to the bottom rail with self tapping stainless sheet metal screws, and then its also bolted to each upright, and then I used stove pipe screws on the top... so the metal lath has very little 'play' in it...

Advertisement