Small Pickups - Vehicles - Contractor Talk

Small Pickups

Old 03-15-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Contractor/carpenter
Rewards Points: 152

Small Pickups

Who makes a pickup in the last 10 years that gets 30 mpg? Or close to it anyway.

I'm looking at getting a small pickup. I'll use it for commuting to my job (as a construction sup) and working on my weekend projects. I know I'm a dinosaur, but I don't want a big sexy truck. I want it small and utilitarian.

I know the pitfalls of a small truck, so I don't want to hear how I should be getting a one fitty. What is critical for me is for it to get good gas mileage. If I could clone my Mazda B2000 that I had in the 90's, I'd be a happy camper.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-15-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
Tech Geek

Trade: Remodeling Guru
Rewards Points: 1,354

Re: Small Pickups

http://www.ford.com/commercial-truck...f250xl&kw=ford

Advertisement

Old 03-15-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
Head Grunt

Trade: Electrical Contractor&Home Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,196

About the only truck that i know of that has ever gotten any decent gas milage and be reliable is a 2X4, 4cyl, stick tranny Toyota truck. The S-10's and Ford rangers were not too bad but most diesel trucks can get the same or close to the fuel mileage they get. A full size Dodge RCLB Cummins/stick trannywill get mid to upper 20's for fuel milage. Now if you can find a small truck with a diesel engine then you will have a fuel efficient ride. Say for instance the older Volkswagon trucks with the diesel engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Electrical & Carpentry
Rewards Points: 500

Fuel cost kill us, & if I were to be in the market to downsize to a more fuel efficient truck,etc I would definatly look into that Ford Transit as stated above. They have very good reviews and have been out for awhile in Europe.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Concrete/Masonry
Rewards Points: 400

If you can find a mid 90's Nissan XE in good shape I would say buy it that instant. I had a '94 with a 4cyl and a 5-speed and that thing got real close to 30 mpg.

Even after it was rolled I still drove it for another 40k or so, then my dad blew the headgasket towing a loaded hay wagon while I was at college. I miss that thing all the time, especially when filling up the 7.3
Old 03-15-2011, 04:28 PM   #6
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 384

the chev colorado/gmc canyon is right about that mileage depending on what version you get.. the 4x4 is a little harder on gas
Old 03-15-2011, 05:12 PM   #7

Trade: Concrete & carpentry
Rewards Points: 75

if you could find an izuzu pup diesel they get like 40mpg its about the size of a nissan truck
Old 03-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #8

Trade: Urethanes
Rewards Points: 99

You should have no problem finding used trucks. However, I wonder if you should stay away from Japanese due the possibility of a parts shortage.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:57 PM   #9
Carbon Dioxide Producer

Trade: EC
Rewards Points: 500

Having just changed the passenger side headlight in my wife’s ’04 Toyota RAV4, I think I can understand why God is so angry with Japan. I loathe working on that *** thing due to the fact that everything is crammed into tight spaces that seem to have been designed for individuals with child sized hands.

But, as far as small pickups go, my wife had her special edition 1986 Tacoma extra-cab with a long bed for 11-years and she bought it used in 1988. If the frame hadn’t rotted through at the right rear wheel, she probably would have gotten several more years out of it. I don’t know the exact gas mileage, but with a 4 cylinder engine, two wheel drive and auto trans, it went quite a while on a fill up. I actually used to like driving it around town.

Last edited by DuMass; 03-17-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #10
Project Superintendent

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

I like my Colorado. I'm on my second(company truck). Passed my first one down to my assistant sup, he's still pissed cause he wanted a big 1 ton dually or something.

Colorado/ canyons come with a 5 or a 4 cylinder. The 5 has plenty of power when you need it, and actually gets a little better gas mileage than the 4, which tells me it's underpowered.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #11
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,760

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMass View Post
Having just changed the passenger side headlight in my wife’s ’04 Toyota RAV4, I think I can understand why God is so angry with Japan. I loathe working on that *** thing due

Really? I would much rather work on a yota then any "american" car.

Try chaning the bulb in a Ranger..... you have to R+I things to even get at it.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor

How about one of these? http://automobiles.honda.com/odyssey/ (click start tour, it's pretty cool) Seriously though, 28mpg, fits all kinds of stuff, can probably handle the same amount of weight as a small pickup, and.....a cooler built into the dash! What more could you want!
Old 03-17-2011, 08:22 PM   #13
The Grand Wazoo

Trade: It blowed up real good!
Rewards Points: 1,930

I put a Chevy 2.2 Vortec in my 63 International Scout 80, and ditched the transfer case and front drive assembly and it gets almost 25 MPG now, now if I went to go out four wheeling I have to fire up the 78 Scout Terra.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: ooo
Rewards Points: 2,000

I test drove the Transit and it was really nice. The problem is the price vs the size. Plumbers carry too much stuff so it just couldn't work out for me.

A few years ago i had a Ford Ranger with a 4 cyl and a stick. I used it for running around because my one tons suck fuel and is only for business. The Ranger got 24 miles to the gallon if I remember, but that was empty. With weight I'm not sure.

Mike
Old 03-18-2011, 09:04 PM   #15
building Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 160

I have a 2000 Ranger X Cab 2wd Manual Trans with the 3.0 v6. In the spring thru fall i get about 23 mpg, it drops a bit in the winter but its better than 13 in my Silverado.

I got it to touch 25mpg once but i had to baby the heck outta it.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #16

Trade: residential developer
Rewards Points: 10

I read about a new indian made Mahindra (sp?) pick up.
Kinda looks like the old Datsun PUs from the 60's
Pretty cool but don't know how they will fare mileage wise.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:09 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 998

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHS View Post
I have a 2000 Ranger X Cab 2wd Manual Trans with the 3.0 v6. In the spring thru fall i get about 23 mpg, it drops a bit in the winter but its better than 13 in my Silverado.

I got it to touch 25mpg once but i had to baby the heck outta it.

2004 F350 CC 4x4. Diesel, 2" leveling kit on larger tires. 500lbs of tool box and 80 gallon transfer tank in the back.

I get 18-19mpg in the summer normal driving. 17-18 winter. Towing my work trailer I even stay up at 15

For 4 MPG, id take that over a 2wd manual trans ranger. Just thinking...
Old 03-21-2011, 11:34 PM   #18
Twisted Cameron

Trade: Concrete, Metal buildings
Rewards Points: 254

My 6.0 gets around 14.5 hwy. My 7.3 has never gotten better than 12.

I had a 2wd stock tacoma that got 26 in town with the ac on. I am thinking about another one of those for an estimating/errand truck.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #19

Trade: Concrete & carpentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapecc View Post
My 6.0 gets around 14.5 hwy. My 7.3 has never gotten better than 12.

I had a 2wd stock tacoma that got 26 in town with the ac on. I am thinking about another one of those for an estimating/errand truck.
u need to get a tuner on that 7.3 mine gets 17 when not towing and about 14 when towing something under 10,000 my chip helped out alot it was well worth the money
Old 03-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #20
President

Trade: Residential Repaints
Rewards Points: 1,316

your best bet is with a 4 cylinder... the ford ranger is a decent little truck. It also gets pretty good mpg. Id stay away from the 3.0 however as it gets about the same mileage as the 4.0 ranger but doesnt have any balls.

Advertisement