Should I Get A New Van Every Few Years? - Vehicles - Contractor Talk

Should I Get A New Van Every Few Years?

Old 10-03-2018, 10:39 PM   #1
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 6,142

Should I Get A New Van Every Few Years?

My van is critical to my business. But I put very few miles on it. 9k a year or so. It seems like 3-4 year old low mileage vans sell for a lot. Way more than I'd be willing to spend anyway. Still have a little powertrain warranty left, so that must be appealing to other buyers. Mine would fetch top dollar - clean, no smoking etc.

On to the point. A single day of a break down easily would cost me $1000 in lost time. Buying new tires, getting a brake job, transmission flush, or any other maintenance is a similar waste of my time, not to mention expensive these days. I worked 4 years in a diesel shop and I never want to swing a wrench again. So I'm not doing my own maintenance.

So am I best off just buying a new van every 3-4 years and never having to worry about repairs (hopefully) or maintenance other than 2 oil changes a year?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2018, 11:22 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 1,616

Re: Should I Get A New Van Every Few Years?

your finances & tax situation need to be considered also.

simple maintenance issues can be handled with appointments.

there are also mobile guys for repairs & maint that will come to you.

there is also no guarantee that a new vehicle will not need repairs, warranty work or recalls.

your current van seems to have a good track record and is working well.

i'd keep the old one until you start seeing issues.

Advertisement

cedarboarder (10-10-2018), Golden view (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 12:43 AM   #3
back doors to hell put in

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,000

Ford quit making the E series so theres that and I've never been a big Chevy or Dodge fan. Chevy used to be good....a long time ago.

These new "sprinters" and Fords new vans look like they have awful wimpy suspensions and working out of a pick up sucks....So I know what you mean it is a dilemma
Golden view (10-04-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2018, 07:45 AM   #4
edward trowelhands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishslave View Post
Ford quit making the E series so theres that and I've never been a big Chevy or Dodge fan. Chevy used to be good....a long time ago.

These new "sprinters" and Fords new vans look like they have awful wimpy suspensions and working out of a pick up sucks....So I know what you mean it is a dilemma
I currently have the Ford Transit. I like it. I have the 250, which has a payload of almost 2 tons. It barely squats when I load a 3000 pound pallet of tile in it. I'm impressed.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:20 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 7,410

I like the mobile guys. I've also used one of the used vehicle inspection services so I could catch things before they were a real problem. They came up with a list of things ti have done. Had it all done as a scheduled service.

Personally, I'd keep running it, but part of that involves your image.

Don't forget, buying and outfitting a new one is a chunk of time, too.
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
Golden view (10-05-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 05:21 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,762

Golden View, i have had the same thinking as you regarding my van. My previous van was a 2007 E250 with the small V8. My accountant advised me to make a significant purchase and so i decided to replace the van.

I traded it for a new 2016 Transit 250. My old van was at about 80000 miles. I love my new Transit, in 16 months or so i have about 16000 miles on it, i got the extended warranty bumper to bumper 100,000 miles. I found the unexpected repairs on my old van were aggravating me. I now know i will have no unexpected repair costs for quite a long time.

I have often given thought to how long will i keep this van. I custom built all my shelving to get it how i wanted it and don't wish to do that too often. I think trading in too often could be counter productive and any potential savings from a well maintained vehicle would not materialize.

If my accountant suggest another similar purchase then that will weigh heavily on how i proceed. I would most likely buy a second van knowing i still have a warranty on my current van for the the next 8 years or so. I debated keeping my old van but future repair costs, and some small rust spots starting (image thing) sealed its fate.

Like you doing low annual mileage, i will annually budget my maintenance costs and schedule them how they will suit me best. I could get by for a day without my van and make do with my old truck if i had to.

Irishslave - to reassure you, as far as towing ability etc, my new van with the 3.7L V6 out performs my old V8. My van has a factory tow package which included heavier springs and tires, my trailer barely squats it with a decent load in it.

Last edited by Ohio painter; 10-04-2018 at 05:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio painter For This Useful Post:
Golden view (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 09:36 AM   #7
Been around

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 1,606

Like Griz pointed out, finance and tax situation are key input factors.

Looking at the big picture, it's a business expense that comes with costs and deductions. If these end up being equal to keeping an older vehicle, the newer van seems to be a better choice IMO.

There is a lot to the equation....

Financed? This brings a cost of interest and the requirement to carry collision insurance. If you own it outright, both of these costs can be eliminated.

Not fully depreciated? The tax benefit of money spent on a newer, not depreciated vehicle may be an equalizer that allows you to drive new for the same cost as a fully depreciated vehicle.

Maintenance and fuel mileage? A new vehicle has little if no maintenance cost for the first 50k miles. Just oil change really. The mileage on a newer vehicle becomes more important for high mileage needs.

Face value? In a retail situation, some customers will respond to the appearance of success that newer vehicles bring.
Golden view (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 09:49 AM   #8
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 6,288

I'm the complete opposite. Both my cube cans will be 19 this year . One only puts 3k miles a year on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to NYgutterguy For This Useful Post:
Golden view (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 10:05 AM   #9
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 3,966

I think it's just a personal decision.

I don't think the vehicle matters if it's the right contractor, I know a couple builders who where crocs, have dogs in their trucks, both at the bar in the early afternoon often and both known to drink at lunch. One drove a 15 year old truck that was always filthy until he bought a new one this year, the other always has a brand new platinum lifted diesel.

Both stay covered up with multi million dollar luxury builds. I doubt the new truck helped the one guy sell more lol

For me personally it depends on income. Last year my truck was only a year old but income was exceptionally high, got offered a he'll of a trade in on my one year old f 250 for a brand new f 250, accountant says no brainer and wrote off the max income.

Most years I have something better to buy that will make money. Like my roll offs, a skid steer, a mini ex, a new box trailer, ect...

John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
Golden view (10-05-2018), mtngant (10-11-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 07:20 PM   #10
edward trowelhands

Easy cash purchase for me. Wrote off the other one in full, so I'd be able to write off the "upgrade" cost.

As far as the power of the van, the egoboost, as I call it, is amazing. In general it doesn't drive like a van at all, but can haul 3500 pounds with ease.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:48 AM   #11
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 12,860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
I think it's just a personal decision.

I don't think the vehicle matters if it's the right contractor, I know a couple builders who where crocs, have dogs in their trucks, both at the bar in the early afternoon often and both known to drink at lunch. One drove a 15 year old truck that was always filthy until he bought a new one this year, the other always has a brand new platinum lifted diesel.

Both stay covered up with multi million dollar luxury builds. I doubt the new truck helped the one guy sell more lol

For me personally it depends on income. Last year my truck was only a year old but income was exceptionally high, got offered a he'll of a trade in on my one year old f 250 for a brand new f 250, accountant says no brainer and wrote off the max income.

Most years I have something better to buy that will make money. Like my roll offs, a skid steer, a mini ex, a new box trailer, ect...
Wearin' Crocs to work. Nothing wrong with that! Drinking at lunch time is a bit excessive though.
You ain't gonna rock and roll no more
Old 10-08-2018, 07:36 AM   #12
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 3,702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
Easy cash purchase for me. Wrote off the other one in full, so I'd be able to write off the "upgrade" cost.

As far as the power of the van, the egoboost, as I call it, is amazing. In general it doesn't drive like a van at all, but can haul 3500 pounds with ease.
Ecoboost transit is a monster. Wish they came 4x4.
Golden view (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 08:14 AM   #13
edward trowelhands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
Ecoboost transit is a monster. Wish they came 4x4.
If I still lived in snow country I would too. Maybe some day. For now, you'd have to spend half the cost of the van again for a third party option.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:27 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Home improvement contractor
Rewards Points: 1,194

If you only want it for 3 years, could you lease. I know you can with mercedes but not sure about ford and the other brands.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anderson For This Useful Post:
Golden view (10-08-2018), mtngant (10-11-2018)