Service Body VS Enclosed Trailer - Vehicles - Contractor Talk

Service Body VS Enclosed Trailer

Old 03-03-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 75

Service Body VS Enclosed Trailer

Ive been trying to convince myself to sell the my 1/2 tonne and 1 tonne service body truck and buy a new truck to haul my enclosed trailer full time...

anyone else having this battle ?

pros and cons of a trailer besides the inconvenience of towing a trailer all the time???

and my trucks are a little tired .... if i pay 300 a month average for parts / service (not to mention downtime, rare but it happens)

i see a lot of your guys trailer setups and am impressed with most .....

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-03-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Service Body VS Enclosed Trailer

I need to replace my 3/4 van this summer and have been going back and forth what would work out best for me as well. I think I am leaning toward a 14' box truck/cube van but still going through the process as well. I could haul my tools and most needed material at the same time. Good Luck!

Advertisement

Old 03-03-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Depends how much crap you carry. No way I could fit on a utility bed what I carry in a 16 foot trailer.

Instead of another trailer I think I am going to look at a used 16 foot cube truck, like a used Uhaul or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Finley View Post
Depends how much crap you carry. No way I could fit on a utility bed what I carry in a 16 foot trailer.
my service body is 10 feet + 1 foot tailgate with 36 inch walls and a tonneau cover also i have a trailer hitch extension for the really long stuff ...

i put A LOT of stuff in there ,

once i had almost two skids of sod in it for a friend ... mto would have loved to see that one

i have 6 15 inch deep cabinets as well as two 96X4X12 top shelves for levels and such....its a crew cab too, so the back seat area is racked out for more tools

i dont think it would all fit in a trailer lol!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:40 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Have you got a table saw mounted on a rolling stand in there? How about a 12" double compound sliding miter on a wheeled stand?

Tough stuff to carry in a utility bed.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: General Contractor/ Carpentry
Rewards Points: 344

Well what he is saying is he has a covered bed and he can haul it. I would like to see pics of it though. I love the utility bed we had them when I started in this bussiness. But I want my truck to look nice my plan is to get one as soon as possible again.

Last edited by gillisonconstru; 03-04-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Finish Carpenter,Deck Builder, Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,010

ive had pickup trucks and vans in my 18+ yrs in business,but since 05 i bought a srinter van and my journey has ended, the up front cost is a little high but since i got it my buisness went to the next level in terms of pricing and mobility, i can still tow if needed but my trailor has been parked since 05
Old 03-04-2009, 06:50 PM   #8
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,002

Every time I see a completely empty pickup towing a contractor's trailer, I can't help but to think he's making a huge mistake.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #9
Head Grunt

Trade: Electrical Contractor&Home Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,196

IMO it depends on what you do for work. I try to stick mainly with Electrical but in this area you almost have to be a handy man to keep busy. I drive a GM Diesel and tow an enclosed trailer. For me this set up works great and i can only think of 2 jobs where i could not easily get the trailer backed in. I own and tow my mini-ex too for some of my electrical jobs so the truck is ideal for that. I have thought of getting a van but they are very limited as far as materials and quantity of tools that can be carried. That and i hate crawling after everything. The trailer i can leave on a job, it can be walked through, alot cheaper to register/insure a year and can be purchased much cheaper. The only other downfall i have had was my primary truck blew a head gasket and has been at the dealer for a month now. I tried to work out of a rental van and gave up after 2 days, i ended up buying another GM diesel truck as a spare. I guess this could happen to any vehicle you own and drive for your business but for me a spare was crutial.

Advertisement