Need Advice For Small Trailers In Big City's - Vehicles - Contractor Talk

Need Advice For Small Trailers In Big City's

Old 06-02-2018, 11:44 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Workaholic
Rewards Points: 444

Need Advice For Small Trailers In Big City's

I have been wanting to get a mini cube trail that's about 9 foot long 8 foot high. The back of my truck is packed must jobs. And is now starting to turn in to 2 trips to get material, scafold and tools on and off site. Would be great for big dumps.
Won't need to get a bigger truck
Can make it a gigantic advertisement board.
Parking in Vancouver is a b*tchn
Risk of theft.
Other than those 2 things I don't see many con's. I guess if you can't get parking.,, It is what it is,

Any one regret getting a box trailer? Any advice for theft? Can a thief just tear out a gps tracker after stealing it.?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-02-2018, 03:33 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 3,580

Re: Need Advice For Small Trailers In Big City's

8' high?? and only 9' long??

That is going to look weird.

How wide?

Advertisement

Old 06-02-2018, 08:41 PM   #3
Pro

Haha My bad that would be a bit top heavy. was looking at so many trailers my numbers got all wacko in my head. Think it's about 6 foot high. 5x10.

Here's the trailer I'm looking at. Seen some cheaper ones that are a bit more boxy.
I've pulled trailers before working for the city. But have never purchased one before.
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/...606116815.html

Old 06-02-2018, 10:55 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,268

I would recommend getting a 6x12. At 5ft wide you don’t have much room for shelves on both sides.

Not sure if you can get a 6x10
The Following User Says Thank You to Stunt Carpenter For This Useful Post:
cedarboarder (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 10:31 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 8,500

A 6x12 single axle maneuvers pretty well. I always think I want a bigger one, but then I squeeze mine into a tight spot and am glad it's smaller.

I don't hauling as much as I used to, but I used to keep it hitched 100 percent of the time and it became second nature to go everywhere with it. A larger one would be much more cumbersome.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2018, 01:17 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,268

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinylHanger View Post
A 6x12 single axle maneuvers pretty well. I always think I want a bigger one, but then I squeeze mine into a tight spot and am glad it's smaller.

I don't hauling as much as I used to, but I used to keep it hitched 100 percent of the time and it became second nature to go everywhere with it. A larger one would be much more cumbersome.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That what I have also. I would love for it to be a little wider but 12’ works prefect for fitting on driveways.

I did deck on new construction for a few years and mine was only off on the week ends. After a while you don’t even need to think about then they are just apart of your driving habit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stunt Carpenter For This Useful Post:
cedarboarder (06-05-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 02:17 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 496

Have you considered just renting a small Conex box on job by job basis? You don't have to own it or haul it, just have it dropped at the site, then picked up when you are done. They are also a bit more heavy duty and harder to break into compared to a rolling tool trailer.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:24 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishindude View Post
Have you considered just renting a small Conex box on job by job basis? You don't have to own it or haul it, just have it dropped at the site, then picked up when you are done. They are also a bit more heavy duty and harder to break into compared to a rolling tool trailer.
it's not so much on-site storage that I need. just transporting tools and material.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:06 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 534

What about high top van. 12'. Ok had 2 - 10' sprinter's sold for Nissan nv. The storage capacity is impressive. 6'2"wx6'.6"hx10' long or 12'. Also look into transits there putting boxes on Back 6*6.6*10-12 straight boxes roll-up up doors and roll out ramps. Straight boxes fit even More. If they where available when I got nv's I would picked up. There around 30k
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarboarder View Post
it's not so much on-site storage that I need. just transporting tools and material.
Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to CityDecks For This Useful Post:
Golden view (06-04-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 10:08 PM   #10
Pro

Then flat bed or Dump trailer you'll always use the dump trailer. 6*10 deck over is what I had for years. 10,000 load. Rated. About 4,000.its great for City work. I work in 4 Mile radius 98%of the Time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityDecks View Post
What about high top van. 12'. Ok had 2 - 10' sprinter's sold for Nissan nv. The storage capacity is impressive. 6'2"wx6'.6"hx10' long or 12'. Also look into transits there putting boxes on Back 6*6.6*10-12 straight boxes roll-up up doors and roll out ramps. Straight boxes fit even More. If they where available when I got nv's I would picked up. There around 30k

The Following User Says Thank You to CityDecks For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2018, 10:18 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:

I wish. I've thought about it but want to avoid truck payments. I like old trucks that I can fix on the side of the road. Haha.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:45 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishindude View Post
Is that like pod or shipping container?? I just wrapped up a job on the beach and used 10x20 pod the boxes that h.o. use to move. Dirt cheap. I had tools hardware fasteners everything else came from suppliers in plywood boxes as they ran low we put remainder in pod. So easy to roll in/out day in/day out so fast.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:01 AM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Is that like pod or shipping container?? I just wrapped up a job on the beach and used 10x20 pod the boxes that h.o. use to move. Dirt cheap. I had tools hardware fasteners everything else came from suppliers in plywood boxes as they ran low we put remainder in pod. So easy to roll in/out day in/day out so fast.
I've used them for having a spot for homeowners stuff while we renovate. I was amazed by the lifter they had to load and unload on the pod when they came to pick it up.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:24 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: remodel,finish&trim
Rewards Points: 1,536

I am not in Vancouver . Do not know your situation but I will give you my thoughts .Single axel trailer will not hold much but easily over loaded .Easily filled . Over load it and if you need to stop -You will be surprised when you do not -it keeps going .
I have a 5x10 dump .two axel . bearings need greasing often[pet peeve] .it can carry plywood and longer material by running forward and keeping it in the middle . still it is a pain in the a%$#s to get around lumber yards .Many jobsights are just not trailer friendly . I agree with others if you get an enclosed trailer get something functional ,Something a bit larger.
oh it is great for dump runs . That said I also do not know how you work or types of jobs you take .Good luck
Old 06-11-2018, 11:54 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM constr View Post
I am not in Vancouver . Do not know your situation but I will give you my thoughts .Single axel trailer will not hold much but easily over loaded .Easily filled . Over load it and if you need to stop -You will be surprised when you do not -it keeps going .
I have a 5x10 dump .two axel . bearings need greasing often[pet peeve] .it can carry plywood and longer material by running forward and keeping it in the middle . still it is a pain in the a%$#s to get around lumber yards .Many jobsights are just not trailer friendly . I agree with others if you get an enclosed trailer get something functional ,Something a bit larger.
oh it is great for dump runs . That said I also do not know how you work or types of jobs you take .Good luck
I didn't even think of the lumber yards, that would be a really big pain in the ass but do-able. Looking at box trailer cause my area is none stop rain for half the year. I was thinking worst case I will need to get construction parking permits with the city and have the city put signs up (not sure of the costs yet) or just make a day of it to get stuff on site. I do renos, decks, fences mostly in dense areas some streets 2 cars cant drive down yet its 2 way... I put 2 tools like my miter saw and vacuum in my Dakota and it's full, I do have a great ladder rack that can hold quite a bit, airbags on the rear suspension, decent hitch (not a bumper hitch). Was thinking of dodge 1500 but it's really not much bigger of a box with the same engine. I am also having storage issues at home with no garage but I do have a spot to park it if I cant bring it to work so would be like a portable shed. I'm guessing your trailer has brakes on it? I've also heard 2 axle is easier to maneuver, this true?
Old 06-12-2018, 08:20 PM   #16
Pro

have you considered a van .i was doing about the same work as you when i got my first van .it holds WAY more then a pickup .i could put a light wheel barrow on the roof rack . Before i got the van i swore i would always have truck but the switch over was a vast improvement . being able to walk into a supply house[or any store] knowing everything was locked up was such a relief . you set the van up so it works for you . make it so you can get at everything easily .I was in snow country ,put a posi trac in the rearend and with all that weight it got around very well .
A trailer will kill you ,dealing with it on a continual bases .imagine the time suck getting those parking permits you sound like you need .
Old 06-12-2018, 08:39 PM   #17
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 5,242

I work constantly with challenging parking. I can't imagine pulling a trailer regularly. All about that van. It must hold 4 pickup trucks worth, and I can still walk in and collect the tools I need for the day.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:51 PM   #18
Pro

Rewards Points: 3,958

I have more in my extended van than most people have in their 7 x 14 trailers.

That is a fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Mordekyle For This Useful Post:
jengebretson2 (07-02-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 11:51 PM   #19
Pro

extended van = payments and a pain to work on. I don't like new vehicles that need the specialty tools to work on. The engines are in the dash and hate working on them. Mechanics also hate working on them.
Hinos on the other hand.....
Old 06-13-2018, 07:45 AM   #20
Pro

My 2000 GMC,had fuel pump go out ,hundred and 40 th on it . I got it from used from one of those commercial sales places . Very,very reliable .

Advertisement