Making The Change - Vehicles - Contractor Talk

Making The Change

Old 08-22-2018, 05:48 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 4,072

Making The Change

Trading my 2016 Dodge 2500 diesel 4x4 for a 2018 Ram (Dodge) 2500 Hemi 6.4 4x4. Seems to ride better, mileage will be roughly the same when not pulling, maintenance costs will drop 75%.

I really wanted to go the half ton route, but I have to have the occasional pulling power for heavy trailers and a gooseneck ball. I just could not do the half ton......

But goodbye to the diesel.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joasis For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (08-23-2018), Deckhead (08-22-2018), Jaws (08-22-2018), SmallTownGuy (08-22-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-22-2018, 06:33 AM   #2
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 12,870

Re: Making The Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joasis View Post
Trading my 2016 Dodge 2500 diesel 4x4 for a 2018 Ram (Dodge) 2500 Hemi 6.4 4x4. Seems to ride better, mileage will be roughly the same when not pulling, maintenance costs will drop 75%.

I really wanted to go the half ton route, but I have to have the occasional pulling power for heavy trailers and a gooseneck ball. I just could not do the half ton......

I did it last year after owning a diesel for over a decade... Still feels a little strange but really happy I did it, especially when I pull up to any pump and don't have to wait for the jackass in a Civic to move out of the diesel pumps.

Advertisement

You ain't gonna rock and roll no more
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deckhead For This Useful Post:
Inner10 (08-22-2018), jproffer (08-24-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 06:45 AM   #3
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 3,970

We still have a diesel dual wheel but we all switched to gas f 250s around 2012. They pull fine for regular loads. Bobcat 331 or the skid steer is no problem, we also haul the lighter 20 yard roll offs with them. The 2018s pull better than the 2012 imo.

The old man switched to a half ton, he doesn't pull anything and likes the smoother ride

I hear the new diesel f 250s are getting better mpg, might make up the difference in cost for diesel engine if I knew I'd keep it more than 2 years.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2018, 06:47 AM   #4
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,484

Resale will make up the difference in two years. What kind of expenses will you have in two years other than oil changes and tires, that aren't covered under warranty.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2018, 06:55 AM   #5
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. View Post
Resale will make up the difference in two years. What kind of expenses will you have in two years other than oil changes and tires, that aren't covered under warranty.

Maybe. But ive been buying new last three pick ups. Never had a repair before trade out. Just rotation and oil change.

Resale, looking at two year old f 250s here I don't see them going for 9k more for diesel, which is what the exact same model truck goes for for diesel, maybe 6 if if it has the options folks want. Last truck I kept a year and sold for 6k less than I paid - but I always buy well. Usually around Christmas

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
Joasis (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 07:04 AM   #6
I like Green things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
Maybe. But ive been buying new last three pick ups. Never had a repair before trade out. Just rotation and oil change.

Resale, looking at two year old f 250s here I don't see them going for 9k more for diesel, which is what the exact same model truck goes for for diesel, maybe 6 if if it has the options folks want. Last truck I kept a year and sold for 6k less than I paid - but I always buy well. Usually around Christmas
Well over a 10k spread comparing the same used truck gas vs. Deisel.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:06 AM   #7
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 3,706

Quote:

How many DEF pumps have you replaced? I'm at one on my 2016.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
rrk (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 07:09 AM   #8
Contractor of the Month

Quote:

More than that here, I went to trade my 2016 in and they offered me 47500. I figured it would be 50k street and 45k trade in...big difference from a gas truck.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:10 AM   #9
Contractor of the Month

Quote:

Fuel filter....

Old 08-22-2018, 07:19 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 4,072

Service at the dealer is $400 plus if they do air filter and fuel filters. The crankcase filter was $200. That is 4 times a year at least that it went for service. Plus it made me ANGRY every time I had to buy DEF. Always something to get more fingers into our pockets.

I buy a new truck about every 2 years or so, this one has 110k on it already. Since I am doing the spec home builds in town, I should be backing off my mileage quite a bit, need the tax break as well, and may keep this one for awhile.

The diesel, same as my current truck, with all rebates applied here, is roughly $41,500

The gas engine, with all rebates, $31,500. The only difference is chrome and carpet. I chose the rubber floors and black grill this time.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
The Following User Says Thank You to Joasis For This Useful Post:
Jaws (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 07:19 AM   #11
I like Green things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
Fuel filter....

I forgot that one, plus def.

I am horrible about the fuel filter in mine, only changed it once.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:21 AM   #12
The Sheriff

Quote:

Maybe you should look around Austin, I can guarantee you I could have bought the same F250 4 x 4 for 9000 more with a diesel. We bought 2 gassers the same day, we looked at every possible option.

What you guys pay for trucks is retarded. 20k for 20 hear old trucks doesn't happen here. My lead guy bought a 2013 f 250 4x4 with options for 20,500 recently.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
Joasis (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 07:21 AM   #13
I like Green things

Quote:
Service at the dealer is $400 plus if they do air filter and fuel filters. The crankcase filter was $200. That is 4 times a year at least that it went for service. Plus it made me ANGRY every time I had to buy DEF. Always something to get more fingers into our pockets.

I buy a new truck about every 2 years or so, this one has 110k on it already. Since I am doing the spec home builds in town, I should be backing off my mileage quite a bit, need the tax break as well, and may keep this one for awhile.

The diesel, same as my current truck, with all rebates applied here, is roughly $41,500

The gas engine, with all rebates, $31,500. The only difference is chrome and carpet. I chose the rubber floors and black grill this time.
That's cheap for a new HD diesel compared to ford or GM. Think the cheapest ford is right at 50.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:25 AM   #14
I like Green things

Quote:
Maybe you should look around Austin, I can guarantee you I could have bought the same F250 4 x 4 for 9000 more with a diesel. We bought 2 gassers the same day, we looked at every possible option.

What you guys pay for trucks is retarded. 20k for 20 hear old trucks doesn't happen here. My lead guy bought a 2013 f 250 4x4 with options for 20,500 recently.
My buddy is in Huston, everything down there is selling for more than up here. He has bought two used 5th wheels up here, took them down there and turned 15k on each one. He almost sold his 2017 f350 for a few grand less than he paid for it almost a year ago.

I am pretty current on what things are going for in that area, don't even get me started on what they want for crap hole houses down there.

Yes, pre emissions trucks have been appreciating at a stupid rate all over the country.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:29 AM   #15
Contractor of the Month

Quote:

The fuel filter is the easiest thing to change on the truck, you just put a socket on the cap, screw it off, drop the new filter in and screw it back on. Takes literally 5 minutes. The air filter is 4 clips...and gas vehicles have air filters as well. If your dealer is charging you 2 hours of labour for that they are screwing you.

I went from a gas to diesel truck and see no difference in maintenance cost.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:30 AM   #16
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
I forgot that one, plus def.

I am horrible about the fuel filter in mine, only changed it once.

I always go waaaaaaay over the 20k...but fvck it I'm just gonna trade it in anyway!
Old 08-22-2018, 07:31 AM   #17
The Sheriff

Quote:
My buddy is in Huston, everything down there is selling for more than up here. He has bought two used 5th wheels up here, took them down there and turned 15k on each one. He almost sold his 2017 f350 for a few grand less than he paid for it almost a year ago.

I am pretty current on what things are going for in that area, don't even get me started on what they want for crap hole houses down there.

Yes, pre emissions trucks have been appreciating at a stupid rate all over the country.

I bet you I could get a F-250 XLT four-wheel drive diesel brand new for $49,000. I highly doubt that any northern state is going to get you a price like that. Same truck but a Gasser 6.2 is going to be 40,000, or if you're a good buyer 39 5, which is what I paid. We have 6 vehicles with that same logo on the back from the same salesman including my wife's car my mom's car.

Houston is a different world brother, 5th wheels and single wide trailers are worth a fortune right now. Especially 6 months ago. A single wide trailer was 30000 is now 50.

You may find a really good truck like yours that someone might pay close to that here, but that would be rare and certainly to the right buyer. I have never seen a 20 year old truck that was not a classic and in mint condition sell for that much money.

Yes real estate is high here, Houston is not even close to the dirt out here where I'm at. You're looking at 35000 acre in a little area where text and I live outside of town close to the river. That's for anything under 10 acres. I just saw somebody pay a $325,000 for 13 acres. That has nothing to do with the price of trucks though, a lot of people over pay but you can certainly get a good deal here. Especially if you want a fleet truck

John

Last edited by Jaws; 08-22-2018 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:44 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,348

Quote:

My issue is time not being able to use the truck, every time I brought it in for warranty service I knew I would not be able to use it at least 3 days sometimes 7 days. Oil change 1 day.

My goal is not to have to get it fixed period
Old 08-22-2018, 07:48 AM   #19
I like Green things

Quote:
I bet you I could get a F-250 XLT four-wheel drive diesel brand new for $49,000. I highly doubt that any northern state is going to get you a price like that. Same truck but a Gasser 6.2 is going to be 40,000, or if you're a good buyer 39 5, which is what I paid. We have 6 vehicles with that same logo on the back from the same salesman including my wife's car my mom's car.

Houston is a different world brother, 5th wheels and single wide trailers are worth a fortune right now. Especially 6 months ago. A single wide trailer was 30000 is now 50.

You may find a really good truck like yours that someone might pay close to that here, but that would be rare and certainly to the right buyer. I have never seen a 20 year old truck that was not a classic and in mint condition sell for that much money.

Yes real estate is high here, Houston is not even close to the dirt out here where I'm at. You're looking at 35000 acre in a little area where text and I live outside of town close to the river. That's for anything under 10 acres. I just saw somebody pay a $325,000 for 13 acres. That has nothing to do with the price of trucks though, a lot of people over pay but you can certainly get a good deal here. Especially if you want a fleet truck
About 52 for a 350 CC 4x4 long bed XLS package up here. The 250s sag in the back with a fuel tank and a tool box. It's a 13, I call it the super droopy

The Following User Says Thank You to WarnerConstInc. For This Useful Post:
Jaws (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 07:49 AM   #20
I like Green things

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrk View Post
My issue is time not being able to use the truck, every time I brought it in for warranty service I knew I would not be able to use it at least 3 days sometimes 7 days. Oil change 1 day.

My goal is not to have to get it fixed period
Oil change is a 30 minute job. That's the dealers fault.

Advertisement