Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum

Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum (https://www.contractortalk.com/forum.php)
-   Vehicles (https://www.contractortalk.com/f41/)
-   -   Making the change (https://www.contractortalk.com/f41/making-change-409642/)

Joasis 08-22-2018 05:48 AM

Making the change
 
Trading my 2016 Dodge 2500 diesel 4x4 for a 2018 Ram (Dodge) 2500 Hemi 6.4 4x4. Seems to ride better, mileage will be roughly the same when not pulling, maintenance costs will drop 75%.

I really wanted to go the half ton route, but I have to have the occasional pulling power for heavy trailers and a gooseneck ball. I just could not do the half ton......

But goodbye to the diesel.

Deckhead 08-22-2018 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joasis (Post 7318130)
Trading my 2016 Dodge 2500 diesel 4x4 for a 2018 Ram (Dodge) 2500 Hemi 6.4 4x4. Seems to ride better, mileage will be roughly the same when not pulling, maintenance costs will drop 75%.

I really wanted to go the half ton route, but I have to have the occasional pulling power for heavy trailers and a gooseneck ball. I just could not do the half ton......

But goodbye to the diesel.

I did it last year after owning a diesel for over a decade... Still feels a little strange but really happy I did it, especially when I pull up to any pump and don't have to wait for the jackass in a Civic to move out of the diesel pumps.

Jaws 08-22-2018 06:45 AM

We still have a diesel dual wheel but we all switched to gas f 250s around 2012. They pull fine for regular loads. Bobcat 331 or the skid steer is no problem, we also haul the lighter 20 yard roll offs with them. The 2018s pull better than the 2012 imo.

The old man switched to a half ton, he doesn't pull anything and likes the smoother ride

I hear the new diesel f 250s are getting better mpg, might make up the difference in cost for diesel engine if I knew I'd keep it more than 2 years.

WarnerConstInc. 08-22-2018 06:47 AM

Resale will make up the difference in two years. What kind of expenses will you have in two years other than oil changes and tires, that aren't covered under warranty.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jaws 08-22-2018 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. (Post 7318266)
Resale will make up the difference in two years. What kind of expenses will you have in two years other than oil changes and tires, that aren't covered under warranty.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Maybe. But ive been buying new last three pick ups. Never had a repair before trade out. Just rotation and oil change.

Resale, looking at two year old f 250s here I don't see them going for 9k more for diesel, which is what the exact same model truck goes for for diesel, maybe 6 if if it has the options folks want. Last truck I kept a year and sold for 6k less than I paid - but I always buy well. Usually around Christmas

WarnerConstInc. 08-22-2018 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaws (Post 7318306)
Maybe. But ive been buying new last three pick ups. Never had a repair before trade out. Just rotation and oil change.

Resale, looking at two year old f 250s here I don't see them going for 9k more for diesel, which is what the exact same model truck goes for for diesel, maybe 6 if if it has the options folks want. Last truck I kept a year and sold for 6k less than I paid - but I always buy well. Usually around Christmas

Well over a 10k spread comparing the same used truck gas vs. Deisel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Inner10 08-22-2018 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joasis (Post 7318130)
Trading my 2016 Dodge 2500 diesel 4x4 for a 2018 Ram (Dodge) 2500 Hemi 6.4 4x4. Seems to ride better, mileage will be roughly the same when not pulling, maintenance costs will drop 75%.

I really wanted to go the half ton route, but I have to have the occasional pulling power for heavy trailers and a gooseneck ball. I just could not do the half ton......

But goodbye to the diesel.

How many DEF pumps have you replaced? I'm at one on my 2016.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Inner10 08-22-2018 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. (Post 7318314)
Well over a 10k spread comparing the same used truck gas vs. Deisel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

More than that here, I went to trade my 2016 in and they offered me 47500. I figured it would be 50k street and 45k trade in...big difference from a gas truck.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Inner10 08-22-2018 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. (Post 7318266)
Resale will make up the difference in two years. What kind of expenses will you have in two years other than oil changes and tires, that aren't covered under warranty.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Fuel filter....

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Joasis 08-22-2018 07:19 AM

Service at the dealer is $400 plus if they do air filter and fuel filters. The crankcase filter was $200. That is 4 times a year at least that it went for service. Plus it made me ANGRY every time I had to buy DEF. Always something to get more fingers into our pockets.

I buy a new truck about every 2 years or so, this one has 110k on it already. Since I am doing the spec home builds in town, I should be backing off my mileage quite a bit, need the tax break as well, and may keep this one for awhile.

The diesel, same as my current truck, with all rebates applied here, is roughly $41,500

The gas engine, with all rebates, $31,500. The only difference is chrome and carpet. I chose the rubber floors and black grill this time.

WarnerConstInc. 08-22-2018 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inner10 (Post 7318378)
Fuel filter....

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I forgot that one, plus def.

I am horrible about the fuel filter in mine, only changed it once.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jaws 08-22-2018 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. (Post 7318314)
Well over a 10k spread comparing the same used truck gas vs. Deisel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Maybe you should look around Austin, I can guarantee you I could have bought the same F250 4 x 4 for 9000 more with a diesel. We bought 2 gassers the same day, we looked at every possible option.

What you guys pay for trucks is retarded. 20k for 20 hear old trucks doesn't happen here. My lead guy bought a 2013 f 250 4x4 with options for 20,500 recently. :laughing:

WarnerConstInc. 08-22-2018 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joasis (Post 7318426)
Service at the dealer is $400 plus if they do air filter and fuel filters. The crankcase filter was $200. That is 4 times a year at least that it went for service. Plus it made me ANGRY every time I had to buy DEF. Always something to get more fingers into our pockets.

I buy a new truck about every 2 years or so, this one has 110k on it already. Since I am doing the spec home builds in town, I should be backing off my mileage quite a bit, need the tax break as well, and may keep this one for awhile.

The diesel, same as my current truck, with all rebates applied here, is roughly $41,500

The gas engine, with all rebates, $31,500. The only difference is chrome and carpet. I chose the rubber floors and black grill this time.

That's cheap for a new HD diesel compared to ford or GM. Think the cheapest ford is right at 50.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

WarnerConstInc. 08-22-2018 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaws (Post 7318458)
Maybe you should look around Austin, I can guarantee you I could have bought the same F250 4 x 4 for 9000 more with a diesel. We bought 2 gassers the same day, we looked at every possible option.

What you guys pay for trucks is retarded. 20k for 20 hear old trucks doesn't happen here. My lead guy bought a 2013 f 250 4x4 with options for 20,500 recently. :laughing:

My buddy is in Huston, everything down there is selling for more than up here. He has bought two used 5th wheels up here, took them down there and turned 15k on each one. He almost sold his 2017 f350 for a few grand less than he paid for it almost a year ago.

I am pretty current on what things are going for in that area, don't even get me started on what they want for crap hole houses down there.

Yes, pre emissions trucks have been appreciating at a stupid rate all over the country.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Inner10 08-22-2018 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joasis (Post 7318426)
Service at the dealer is $400 plus if they do air filter and fuel filters. The crankcase filter was $200. That is 4 times a year at least that it went for service. Plus it made me ANGRY every time I had to buy DEF. Always something to get more fingers into our pockets.

I buy a new truck about every 2 years or so, this one has 110k on it already. Since I am doing the spec home builds in town, I should be backing off my mileage quite a bit, need the tax break as well, and may keep this one for awhile.

The diesel, same as my current truck, with all rebates applied here, is roughly $41,500

The gas engine, with all rebates, $31,500. The only difference is chrome and carpet. I chose the rubber floors and black grill this time.

The fuel filter is the easiest thing to change on the truck, you just put a socket on the cap, screw it off, drop the new filter in and screw it back on. Takes literally 5 minutes. The air filter is 4 clips...and gas vehicles have air filters as well. If your dealer is charging you 2 hours of labour for that they are screwing you.

I went from a gas to diesel truck and see no difference in maintenance cost.

Inner10 08-22-2018 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. (Post 7318434)
I forgot that one, plus def.

I am horrible about the fuel filter in mine, only changed it once.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I always go waaaaaaay over the 20k...but fvck it I'm just gonna trade it in anyway!:laughing:

Jaws 08-22-2018 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. (Post 7318482)
My buddy is in Huston, everything down there is selling for more than up here. He has bought two used 5th wheels up here, took them down there and turned 15k on each one. He almost sold his 2017 f350 for a few grand less than he paid for it almost a year ago.

I am pretty current on what things are going for in that area, don't even get me started on what they want for crap hole houses down there.

Yes, pre emissions trucks have been appreciating at a stupid rate all over the country.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I bet you I could get a F-250 XLT four-wheel drive diesel brand new for $49,000. I highly doubt that any northern state is going to get you a price like that. Same truck but a Gasser 6.2 is going to be 40,000, or if you're a good buyer 39 5, which is what I paid. We have 6 vehicles with that same logo on the back from the same salesman including my wife's car my mom's car.

Houston is a different world brother, 5th wheels and single wide trailers are worth a fortune right now. Especially 6 months ago. A single wide trailer was 30000 is now 50.

You may find a really good truck like yours that someone might pay close to that here, but that would be rare and certainly to the right buyer. I have never seen a 20 year old truck that was not a classic and in mint condition sell for that much money.

Yes real estate is high here, Houston is not even close to the dirt out here where I'm at. You're looking at 35000 acre in a little area where text and I live outside of town close to the river. That's for anything under 10 acres. I just saw somebody pay a $325,000 for 13 acres. That has nothing to do with the price of trucks though, a lot of people over pay but you can certainly get a good deal here. Especially if you want a fleet truck

rrk 08-22-2018 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. (Post 7318266)
Resale will make up the difference in two years. What kind of expenses will you have in two years other than oil changes and tires, that aren't covered under warranty.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My issue is time not being able to use the truck, every time I brought it in for warranty service I knew I would not be able to use it at least 3 days sometimes 7 days. Oil change 1 day.

My goal is not to have to get it fixed period

WarnerConstInc. 08-22-2018 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaws (Post 7318514)
I bet you I could get a F-250 XLT four-wheel drive diesel brand new for $49,000. I highly doubt that any northern state is going to get you a price like that. Same truck but a Gasser 6.2 is going to be 40,000, or if you're a good buyer 39 5, which is what I paid. We have 6 vehicles with that same logo on the back from the same salesman including my wife's car my mom's car.

Houston is a different world brother, 5th wheels and single wide trailers are worth a fortune right now. Especially 6 months ago. A single wide trailer was 30000 is now 50.

You may find a really good truck like yours that someone might pay close to that here, but that would be rare and certainly to the right buyer. I have never seen a 20 year old truck that was not a classic and in mint condition sell for that much money.

Yes real estate is high here, Houston is not even close to the dirt out here where I'm at. You're looking at 35000 acre in a little area where text and I live outside of town close to the river. That's for anything under 10 acres. I just saw somebody pay a $325,000 for 13 acres. That has nothing to do with the price of trucks though, a lot of people over pay but you can certainly get a good deal here. Especially if you want a fleet truck

About 52 for a 350 CC 4x4 long bed XLS package up here. The 250s sag in the back with a fuel tank and a tool box. It's a 13, I call it the super droopy

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

WarnerConstInc. 08-22-2018 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrk (Post 7318530)
My issue is time not being able to use the truck, every time I brought it in for warranty service I knew I would not be able to use it at least 3 days sometimes 7 days. Oil change 1 day.

My goal is not to have to get it fixed period

Oil change is a 30 minute job. That's the dealers fault.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.