Kodiak - Vehicles - Contractor Talk

Kodiak

Old 02-23-2015, 11:00 PM   #1
operator

Trade: excavating, concrete, landscaping
Rewards Points: 518

Kodiak

Hopefully this is in the right spot. Looking at buying a Kodiak dump truck. It's a 92, 33k gvw, air brakes and tow package. it's an automatic with a 366 gas job under the hood. I'm kind of thinking it is probably underpowered with only a 366 but was hoping someone on here could shed a little light on the subject. It would mainly be used for hauling stone and dirt and pulling our skid steer or mini-ex. Thanks for any input

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-23-2015, 11:27 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,412

Re: Kodiak

A 427 or even a diesel would of been better. Probably will like fuel too and am sure you will know where all the gears are in the trany. Single axle two speed and 5 speed working trany? My dad has a little older Top Kick with a 555 Cummins single two speed axle and 5 speed. I have had 33000# on it and handles it like a dream.

Advertisement

Old 02-23-2015, 11:44 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,550

I have an old 1978 f800
It's 26k
Smaller gas motor like you are looking at
It does the job with that weight, but could use a lot more power.
I tried to pull my lull with it one time, 45mph was all it would do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2015, 08:34 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 346

The 366 was actually a really good motor. If you are running up and down the interstate you will be short on power, around town fully loaded you will be fine.

We have a C-60 we retired with a 350, all of our trucks are under 26k, even with a heavy tear off on it it ran out of gears then it did power running down the highways.

Even the smaller diesels you will run out of power some times. Our IH with the DT466 will run out of power when it's fully loaded and pulling a Skid.

Is the truck you are looking at a 2 speed rear?
Old 02-24-2015, 08:37 AM   #5
Pro

To add to this, I believe the 366 is the same basic engine as the 427, so when/if rebuild time comes it would be easy to up the cubic inches.

Also the farmers loved using the 366 for irrigation motors. They seem to run for ever. The 3 in the trucks we wreaked or scrape were bought by farmers.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:01 AM   #6
Head Grunt

Trade: Electrical Contractor&Home Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,196

Like said above the 366 is tough and reliable but dont expect to win any races. Even the diesels "cat" were under powered IMO. A lot of guys liked the 427 which are the same block but they were also noted for getting abused the most too. A friend of mine has one with the cat engine/auto and the things is a turd, but will go anywhere in the snow. And i mean like stupid places in the snow! I know another fella who has one with the cat/5spd/2spd/diff lock rear and he loves that truck. It too will go anywhere but has good power.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:05 AM   #7
operator

Trade: excavating, concrete, landscaping
Rewards Points: 518

I don't know if it's a two speed rear or not. I'm waiting for an email from seller with a little more info. Personally I've not seen a 2 speed rear in an automatic but then again automatics aren't very popular around here. I'll post some more info when I hear back from the seller
Old 02-24-2015, 09:23 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,412

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985gt View Post
To add to this, I believe the 366 is the same basic engine as the 427, so when/if rebuild time comes it would be easy to up the cubic inches.

Also the farmers loved using the 366 for irrigation motors. They seem to run for ever. The 3 in the trucks we wreaked or scrape were bought by farmers.
To up grade a 366 to a 427 is not really do able , although same engine family there is over a 1/4 "diffence in bore alone. There by needing a 427 core to do the job.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:01 AM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteo View Post
I don't know if it's a two speed rear or not. I'm waiting for an email from seller with a little more info. Personally I've not seen a 2 speed rear in an automatic but then again automatics aren't very popular around here. I'll post some more info when I hear back from the seller
I did some quit research on it since I missed the part in your first post about it being an auto. I'm the same way I can't remember ever seeing an auto with a 2 speed, but I guess they did make them. You couldn't or wouldn't want to split shift them like with a manual but you could keep it in low range until you hit top gear and shift up. Obviously you would only need to do this when loaded.

Now I would be leery of an Auto. Only because of my personal experience of them. We have a 90 IH with a non turbo 7.3 and an auto, and it is a pig in every sense of the word. Now from what I can tell the 7.3 non turbo was 170-180 HP. Around 330 Tq. We also have a 96 IH with the 7.3 or T44E and it's a 5 speed. I don't know the exact HP numbers 185-275 but they are two completely different trucks. The 96 runs out of gears also, could be the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bush View Post
To up grade a 366 to a 427 is not really do able , although same engine family there is over a 1/4 "diffence in bore alone. There by needing a 427 core to do the job.
I was looking in to this more but couldn't find a whole lot of info quick. That would be a lot to bore out of a block though.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:13 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Residential construction
Rewards Points: 311

Spent lots of time in a couple different Kodiak/topkicks with the 366. Never run with an Auto. I would have to think it would be pretty pathetic, especially running 33k. One thing to remember with the 366 is that you run em hard! Foot to the floor and rev the piss out of them, that's how they were meant to run. Many of the old school buses when I was a kid were 366 auto's, I have no idea what a bus grossed full of kids. I just remember the doors getting closed and the driver putting the foot to the floor! They built the Kodiak/Topkick about 10 miles from me, they're was and still is a ton of them around here, good value if you find a nice one.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:09 AM   #11
Pro

You don't really rev the piss out of them. They should be governed at like 5-6K RPMS max. Over reving them think down hill down shifting has been known to burn pistons up from the heat. They any of the GM tall deck engines are not a high RPM motor.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:30 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: excavating contractor
Rewards Points: 386

I owned a 2000' GMC 6500 same truck with 366 and Alison tranny. Could not move empty at highway speeds. Put a trailer or load on it and forget it.

The truck was a Penske rental converted to dump truck, looked nice but not powerful enough.

I ended up putting a 502 gas in it and selling it to who ever would buy it. One of worst equipment purchases I made in the last 10 years.
peteo (02-25-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 10:58 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Residential construction
Rewards Points: 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985gt View Post
You don't really rev the piss out of them. They should be governed at like 5-6K RPMS max. Over reving them think down hill down shifting has been known to burn pistons up from the heat. They any of the GM tall deck engines are not a high RPM motor.
Over rev lights always came on at about 4k if I remember right, that is high for that engine. What I meant is that you can't be running low RPM, they barely move. I would personally never buy one. Of course even the diesel offerings in most of the medium duties are pretty weak.
The Following User Says Thank You to BAREIN For This Useful Post:
1985gt (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 02:03 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAREIN View Post
Over rev lights always came on at about 4k if I remember right, that is high for that engine. What I meant is that you can't be running low RPM, they barely move. I would personally never buy one. Of course even the diesel offerings in most of the medium duties are pretty weak.
I agree with that, I couldn't remember what they ran out at, ours have long been wreak or scrapped. Still better then the 88 dump with a 350 we have, it's waiting for the right buyer!

Yes I agree on the diesels, the ones we have except the Auto aren't to bad, but if you max them out the hills get hard/ to pull on the hwy.

Advertisement