F-150 Vs Transit Connect - Vehicles - Contractor Talk

F-150 Vs Transit Connect

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2018, 09:04 PM   #1
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,052
Rewards Points: 5,242

F-150 Vs Transit Connect


I know it's an odd comparison, but they aren't so dissimilar. For a fleet type vehicle, comparing the most base version:

Both have roughly 6' of storage.
Both get in the 20s for mpg
Both can be purchased new for $22k or so.

I'm considering a smaller rig for punch lists, errands, meetings, running around etc. My commute is longer now too, so I might give the big 14mpg van to the lead to drive.

Transit advantages:
slightly cheaper
probably significantly better real world mileage
more weatherproof than truck with topper
better access than truck with a topper
more maneuverable

F-150 advantages:
probably much quieter ride. I'm constantly on the phone in the truck.
3x the towing capacity (I never tow)
cooler

Thoughts?
__________________
Half of all people are below average.
Golden view is online now  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 11-07-2018, 09:15 PM   #2
Pro
 
Anderson's Avatar
 
Trade: Home improvement contractor
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Wilton,CT
Posts: 981
Rewards Points: 1,162

Re: F-150 Vs Transit Connect


I had a transit connect and chevy express, I loved the transit but the fact that you cant get sheet goods in it was a pain in the butt.

So I traded both vans in and got a Mecedes Metris, I absolutely love the Metric, perhaps after building out 3 other vans I finally got good at it, because the Metris carries everything, and still has space left over.

I bought it this time last year I think between christmas and new year and got I think 4 or 6K off. So it was close in price to the transit

Advertisement

Anderson is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anderson For This Useful Post:
Golden view (11-08-2018), sunkist (11-08-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 09:56 PM   #3
Member
 
Bedfordboy116's Avatar
 
Trade: Construction/Remodeling
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Chesterfield, VA
Posts: 66
Rewards Points: 160

Re: F-150 Vs Transit Connect


I’d love to know how you get 20 mpg in an F-150. My 2013 ecoboost only gets 13-14 when I’m not pulling my trailer.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bedfordboy116 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Bedfordboy116 For This Useful Post:
overanalyze (11-07-2018)
   
 
Old 11-07-2018, 11:21 PM   #4
Pro
 
JFM constr's Avatar
 
Trade: remodel,finish&trim
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sonoma Calif
Posts: 719
Rewards Points: 1,536

Re: F-150 Vs Transit Connect


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedfordboy116 View Post
I’d love to know how you get 20 mpg in an F-150. My 2013 ecoboost only gets 13-14 when I’m not pulling my trailer.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
so - my 2008 3500 savana cutaway gets that with the 6 liter .are you overloaded . I would expect much better from your f-150
JFM constr is online now  
Old 11-08-2018, 05:38 AM   #5
Member
 
Bedfordboy116's Avatar
 
Trade: Construction/Remodeling
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Chesterfield, VA
Posts: 66
Rewards Points: 160

Re: F-150 Vs Transit Connect


Nope. No load, highway driving. Best I’ve ever gotten is 14.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bedfordboy116 is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 10:20 AM   #6
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,052
Rewards Points: 5,242

Re: F-150 Vs Transit Connect


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedfordboy116 View Post
Nope. No load, highway driving. Best I’ve ever gotten is 14.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
75mph+? 4x4?

I can get 20 on the highway in my Transit 250 with the ecoboost. I average 14, but my trips are generally short. If I absolutely baby it though I can get 20.

I'm looking at the lightest, smallest F-150 with the 3.3 V6 and 2WD.
__________________
Half of all people are below average.

Last edited by Golden view; 11-08-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Golden view is online now  
Old 11-08-2018, 10:24 AM   #7
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,052
Rewards Points: 5,242

Re: F-150 Vs Transit Connect


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson View Post
I had a transit connect and chevy express, I loved the transit but the fact that you cant get sheet goods in it was a pain in the butt.

So I traded both vans in and got a Mecedes Metris, I absolutely love the Metric, perhaps after building out 3 other vans I finally got good at it, because the Metris carries everything, and still has space left over.

I bought it this time last year I think between christmas and new year and got I think 4 or 6K off. So it was close in price to the transit
I've gone through this thought process. I feel like once I jump to the Metris, I could just look at another full sized van for close to the same price and have that much more capacity.

I don't haul sheet goods often. Delivery. And have the other van when needed.

What's your mileage in the Metris and what are your trips like?
__________________
Half of all people are below average.
Golden view is online now  
Old 11-08-2018, 10:25 AM   #8
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,052
Rewards Points: 5,242

Re: F-150 Vs Transit Connect


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson View Post
I had a transit connect and chevy express, I loved the transit but the fact that you cant get sheet goods in it was a pain in the butt.
Also did you have the old or the new? I like the old form factor better. Taller. But new probably drives better, more efficient etc.
__________________
Half of all people are below average.
Golden view is online now  
Old 11-08-2018, 10:29 AM   #9
Member
 
Bedfordboy116's Avatar
 
Trade: Construction/Remodeling
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Chesterfield, VA
Posts: 66
Rewards Points: 160

Re: F-150 Vs Transit Connect


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
75mph+? 4x4?

I can get 20 on the highway in my Transit 250 with the ecoboost. I average 14, but my trips are generally short. If I absolutely baby it though I can get 20.

I'm looking at the lightest, smallest F-150 with the 3.3 V6 and 2WD.


4x4. Anywhere from 60-75. I do have all terrains on them, but I get the same highway mpg as before I put them on. The best I ever got was when I reset the info before a long trip. I think working really hard to drive as conservatively as possible, I managed an average of 14.5 over that weekend. Currently it’s at 12.2, but I pulled a 7x14 aluminum body trailer very often.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bedfordboy116 is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 12:52 PM   #10
Particulate Filter
 
Metro M & L's Avatar
 
Trade: Flooring
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,380
Rewards Points: 1,376

Re: F-150 Vs Transit Connect


I don't know that either of the vehicles qualify for the exceptionally awesome section 179 depreciation treatment.

I'd be looking to buy a used vehicle for your purposes.
__________________
"A smart man learns from his mistakes; a wise man learns from the mistakes of others."

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
Metro M & L is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 12:57 PM   #11
Particulate Filter
 
Metro M & L's Avatar
 
Trade: Flooring
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,380
Rewards Points: 1,376

Re: F-150 Vs Transit Connect


What are the limits on Typical Passenger Vehicles used for Business?
For passenger vehicles, trucks, and vans (not meeting the guidelines below), that are used more than 50% in a qualified business use, the total deduction including both the Section 179 expense deduction as well as Bonus Depreciation is limited to $11,160 for cars and $11,560 for trucks and vans.
Exceptions include the following vehicles:
Ambulance or hearses used specifically in your business
Taxis, transport vans, and other vehicles used to specifically transport people or property for hire.
Qualified non-personal use vehicles specifically modified for business (e.g. work van without seating behind driver, permanent shelving installed, and exterior painted with company’s name)
Other heavy “non-SUV” vehicles and trucks with a cargo area at least six feet in interior length (this area must not be easily accessible from the passenger area.) To give an example, many pickups with full-sized cargo beds will qualify for a full deduction (although some “extended cab” pickups may have beds that are too small to qualify).
__________________
"A smart man learns from his mistakes; a wise man learns from the mistakes of others."

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
Metro M & L is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Metro M & L For This Useful Post:
overanalyze (11-10-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 06:41 PM   #12
Contractor of the Month
 
Inner10's Avatar
 
Trade: Control Systems
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 24,592
Rewards Points: 1,862

Re: F-150 Vs Transit Connect


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
I've gone through this thought process. I feel like once I jump to the Metris, I could just look at another full sized van for close to the same price and have that much more capacity.

I don't haul sheet goods often. Delivery. And have the other van when needed.

What's your mileage in the Metris and what are your trips like?
Yeah I don't understand the metris, janky overpriced minivan.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
__________________
The Following User Says Thank You to Inner10 For This Useful Post: Leo G
Inner10 is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 06:53 PM   #13
Pro
 
Mike-B's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 322
Rewards Points: 742

Re: F-150 Vs Transit Connect


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedfordboy116 View Post
I’d love to know how you get 20 mpg in an F-150. My 2013 ecoboost only gets 13-14 when I’m not pulling my trailer.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My average is 17

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Mike-B is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 07:37 PM   #14
Pro
 
Anderson's Avatar
 
Trade: Home improvement contractor
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Wilton,CT
Posts: 981
Rewards Points: 1,162

Re: F-150 Vs Transit Connect


I have no idea what the gas mileage is, I would be a terrible example anyway I drive country roads, short distances, like a crazy person. I can tell you the thing drives sooooooooooooooo nice I think it has a 7 speed tranny. Steering is super tight. I have a 1500 Sierra and it does not drive anywhere near as comfortabe.
Anderson is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 07:38 PM   #15
Pro
 
Anderson's Avatar
 
Trade: Home improvement contractor
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Wilton,CT
Posts: 981
Rewards Points: 1,162

Re: F-150 Vs Transit Connect


I had the old transit connect, was a really nice van. Just a little to small.
Anderson is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 09:39 PM   #16
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,052
Rewards Points: 5,242

Re: F-150 Vs Transit Connect


Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro M & L View Post
What are the limits on Typical Passenger Vehicles used for Business?
For passenger vehicles, trucks, and vans (not meeting the guidelines below), that are used more than 50% in a qualified business use, the total deduction including both the Section 179 expense deduction as well as Bonus Depreciation is limited to $11,160 for cars and $11,560 for trucks and vans.
Exceptions include the following vehicles:
Ambulance or hearses used specifically in your business
Taxis, transport vans, and other vehicles used to specifically transport people or property for hire.
Qualified non-personal use vehicles specifically modified for business (e.g. work van without seating behind driver, permanent shelving installed, and exterior painted with company’s name)
Other heavy “non-SUV” vehicles and trucks with a cargo area at least six feet in interior length (this area must not be easily accessible from the passenger area.) To give an example, many pickups with full-sized cargo beds will qualify for a full deduction (although some “extended cab” pickups may have beds that are too small to qualify).

Both qualify. No seating in the back, longer than 6' bed. So I can depreciate the full amount.
__________________
Half of all people are below average.
Golden view is online now  
Old 11-08-2018, 09:40 PM   #17
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,052
Rewards Points: 5,242

Re: F-150 Vs Transit Connect


Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro M & L View Post
I don't know that either of the vehicles qualify for the exceptionally awesome section 179 depreciation treatment.

I'd be looking to buy a used vehicle for your purposes.
Used vehicle prices are insane here for some reason. Then you have repairs, tires, breaks, maintenance. All things you essentially don't have for 5 years with a new vehicle. Plus I like nice things

Thanks to Section 179, a $22k vehicle takes $13,000 out of my pocket at the end of the year.
__________________
Half of all people are below average.

Last edited by Golden view; 11-08-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Golden view is online now  
Old 11-08-2018, 09:59 PM   #18
Pro
 
JFM constr's Avatar
 
Trade: remodel,finish&trim
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sonoma Calif
Posts: 719
Rewards Points: 1,536

Re: F-150 Vs Transit Connect


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedfordboy116 View Post
Nope. No load, highway driving. Best I’ve ever gotten is 14.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have been thinking on this .How are you calculating your mileage .Figure miles and divide by gallons used .note the mileage when you fill up ,then when you refill figure miles driven then divide that with gallons used . I am bringing this up because you might be relying on those less then accurate things on the the dash to give gas mileage . Other wise you might have something not right under the hood . sure seems like you should be getting much better mileage
JFM constr is online now  
Old 11-09-2018, 08:08 AM   #19
Contractor of the Month
 
Inner10's Avatar
 
Trade: Control Systems
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 24,592
Rewards Points: 1,862

Re: F-150 Vs Transit Connect


Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM constr View Post
I have been thinking on this .How are you calculating your mileage .Figure miles and divide by gallons used .note the mileage when you fill up ,then when you refill figure miles driven then divide that with gallons used . I am bringing this up because you might be relying on those less then accurate things on the the dash to give gas mileage . Other wise you might have something not right under the hood . sure seems like you should be getting much better mileage
Well said, I only get that if I'm only lugging around town in the winter.
__________________
The Following User Says Thank You to Inner10 For This Useful Post: Leo G
Inner10 is offline  
Old 11-10-2018, 07:43 AM   #20
Pro
 
Moze's Avatar
 
Trade: Sign Installation
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 308
Rewards Points: 446

Re: F-150 Vs Transit Connect


Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
Yeah I don't understand the metris, janky overpriced minivan.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I think it's a niche vehicle with a fairly narrow market that can/will justify the additional cost based on their needs.

For me, I have to be able to carry 4'x8' material. I also have to be able to get in parking garages on a regular basis where the clearance is sometimes as low as 6'-6". I also need to be able to tow a 5,000 pound aerial lift. I'm not aware of another vehicle that can do all of that (and carry tools, etc.).

Advertisement


Last edited by Moze; 11-10-2018 at 07:47 AM.
Moze is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Moze For This Useful Post:
Inner10 (11-10-2018)


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transit Connect vs. NV200 vs. City Express philcav7 Vehicles 18 03-23-2016 12:33 AM
Nissan NV200 or Ford Transit Connect calmod Vehicles 7 10-01-2015 03:18 PM
Transit connect iggy Vehicles 19 04-06-2013 09:16 PM
Anyone using a Ford Transit Connect? rtztgue Vehicles 10 03-29-2013 09:39 PM
Streamline Transit Connect Build, not as cool as the F-450 build. StreamlineGT Vehicles 9 09-30-2012 08:32 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?