Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Boy...things are getting REALLY bad!!!

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  finehomes 
#1 ·
I don't know how things could get much worse during this damn recession. Those of you that know me know that my wife and kids split last year, I lost my house, and I'm living with my freaking sister. The bankruptcy is about to be filed. We had over $4 million in construction and land development loans when the bottom fell out.

I haven't built anything in a year and a half and the only work I've had is drawing a few house plans here and there. Not nearly enough to live on or even pay a few bills.

So...it got so bad that I had to let the bank take my truck back. Getting rides from my sister or borrowing a nephews car really sucks. I found a guy that would trade me an older F150 for some house plans but when I talked to him last night about picking up the truck he said his wife was mad about the trade and he couldn't do it.

Wow....I can't win for losing eh? :clap:

Sam

#8 ·
Well....I don't have any tax problems so at least I got that going for me. The biggest thing is this investor had funded three other subdivisions for me in the past and I'm sure I've burned that bridge now.

I do have a job that I'm hoping to get working for a builder as a project manager. They build very expensive homes so it would be fun. I'm hoping that the fact that I have done so much developing and am also licensed will put me at the top of their list of candidates.

Sam

#12 ·
Project Manager could be a blessing

As a project manager you should be able to at least sleep better at night. Heck, a pay cut is also better than no pay at all. Lucky for me I've always kept my expenses and debt at a minimum. It's worked out well now since I'm barely able to keep my head above water here too!

Since all of this has happened I'm sure you have a new perspective on what's really important in life.

I've always lived by these 10 paradoxical commandments:

People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
Love them anyway.

If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
Do good anyway.

If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies.
Succeed anyway.

The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
Do good anyway.

Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
Be honest and frank anyway.

The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.
Think big anyway.

People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
Fight for a few underdogs anyway.

What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.