Pro

Trade: Porch and Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 1,210

Barrett Jackson

Anyone watching it on Speed?

Anyone else playing the fantasy bid?

http://www.vicporch.ca
Deck Fence Porch Builder Toronto

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-16-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Squirrel Handler
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Barrett Jackson

Just turned it on and saw a car very similar to mine (not sure if it was a '68 or '69, only saw the last few seconds) sell for a lot less than I would like to see. I just went to the Mecum auction (very similar to Barrett Jackson) two weeks ago the prices were way down unless it was a real special car. Haven't been to a Barrett Jackson auction yet, however I did just get a Barrett Jackson hat from the last Auction, my girlfriends father goes to them.

Doesn't look like they're giving away anything great so I won't bother registering to play. If you go to the Barrett Jackson website (not Speed TV). you can download the previous auction results, that might help you with pricing.

Advertisement

Old 10-20-2008, 08:07 PM   #3
Head Grunt

Trade: Electrical Contractor&Home Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,196

You can see the condition of the economy by watching the bidding and the sold prices. Some of the cars selling lately have been really good deals IMO considering the time, expense and workmanship put into them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2008, 08:12 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,346

Keep your eyes open for a 2009 Ford CobraJet being sold by Hajek Motor Sports. Brent Hajek is a friend of mine, and bought 12 of these (nice to have money) and a few of them are pre production models. He is selling one of them, I think serial number 1. The latest steel building pics I posted were from his brother's new show...an avid IH collector.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 10-20-2008, 09:41 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by joasis View Post
Keep your eyes open for a 2009 Ford CobraJet being sold by Hajek Motor Sports. Brent Hajek is a friend of mine, and bought 12 of these (nice to have money) and a few of them are pre production models. He is selling one of them, I think serial number 1. The latest steel building pics I posted were from his brother's new show...an avid IH collector.
Mustangs I assume?

Old 10-20-2008, 10:33 PM   #6

Trade: Plumber
Rewards Points: 75

I love watching that show. So much historry and its so cool they have underbelly cameras. just wish they had half naked women showing/driving, just standing there.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:09 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Construction Supplier
Rewards Points: 150

I regularly watch the Mecum Auto Auctions on the Universal HD channel. I love the way the "Linesmen", as they call them, bait and prod the bidders to keep going.

Chris
Old 10-22-2008, 09:47 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,960

What the show really points out that in the end it is a waste of money to go through all of the pimpimg, customizing and adding things that do not not pay off for the guy that does and pays for all the parts and work, since it is cheaper to buy it on an action than it is to do it.

The original and properly restored cars always seem to make a profit for the seller (after the big sales fees/taxes) if they have some doumentation. If it gets certified, that is a huge bonus.

The hemis are going down due to the number of converted (not original) cars that fool a quick buyer. The number of signed "Shelby" cars are also pulling down the prices of the real cars a bit.

It is surprising to see what the older original cars with records are getting without the extreme restoration and just being mainatained.

It was interesting to see what the Oldsmobile "Corvette" prototype (early 1950's) went for. - I think is was over $4,000,000. Edsel Ford's old Continental also went fo a bunch of $$$s.

I am still waiting to see either a original supercharged Kaiser Dragon with all power and a bamboo roof or a original superchaged Packard Hawk go for.

I get tired of the recycling seeing of European road racing cars just because of what they did and who drove them. It would be interesting to see what a Formula 1 car would go for, but they are usually destroyed immediately or sent to a factory museum since they do not need the money considering they with ship a few hundred engineers from the factory to a race in Asia.

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:42 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
What the show really points out that in the end it is a waste of money to go through all of the pimpimg, customizing and adding things that do not not pay off for the guy that does and pays for all the parts and work, since it is cheaper to buy it on an action than it is to do it.

The original and properly restored cars always seem to make a profit for the seller (after the big sales fees/taxes) if they have some doumentation. If it gets certified, that is a huge bonus.

The hemis are going down due to the number of converted (not original) cars that fool a quick buyer. The number of signed "Shelby" cars are also pulling down the prices of the real cars a bit.

It is surprising to see what the older original cars with records are getting without the extreme restoration and just being mainatained.

It was interesting to see what the Oldsmobile "Corvette" prototype (early 1950's) went for. - I think is was over $4,000,000. Edsel Ford's old Continental also went fo a bunch of $$$s.

I am still waiting to see either a original supercharged Kaiser Dragon with all power and a bamboo roof or a original superchaged Packard Hawk go for.

I get tired of the recycling seeing of European road racing cars just because of what they did and who drove them. It would be interesting to see what a Formula 1 car would go for, but they are usually destroyed immediately or sent to a factory museum since they do not need the money considering they with ship a few hundred engineers from the factory to a race in Asia.
You're right on in regards to the customs, they usually don't bring a lot of money, a few do, Boyd Coddington and Foose cars bring huge money. Some of the best money is in the 50's GM convertibles other that the Chevy (Chevys do okay), the Oldsmobile and Pontiac's bring in big money. '58, '59 and '60 Impala convertibles do real well.

You can't fake a Hemi car, Chrysler, Dodge and Plymouth have all the information encoded into the serial number. GM's are the cars that are easy to fake, it's almost impossible to tell a good fake. Plus GM built all types of cars with no records, I have a '69 corvette convertible with a 427 and air conditioning, supposedly the car was never made, I bought it from a GM executive and have the build sheet. Last year we bought what was supposed to be a COPO Camaro,after winning the car a person at the auction told us he thought the car might be fake and recommended a person that could verify the car, turned out the expert is well known (verifies COPO's throughout the country and has all the original documents from GM), turns out he lives in the same town I do. Anyhow for a small fee he came out and could not verify it was a real COPO, he said it was possible but highly doubtful, Mecum relieved of us the obligation to purchase the car. Most people state when the car is a fake.

The best deal going for a while was the Boss 429 Mustangs, they were selling cheap for the last few years, I couldn't understand it, the car has one of the most radical engines ever put in a street car, a full fledged NASCAR motor, I'm still pissed I didn't get one, they're up over $100,000 in a few years.

Also up are a lot of the late 60's, early '70's Mach 1 Mustangs if they have the big motor.

Chevelle's, Camaro's and Mopars were all down.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:16 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJX4 View Post
just wish they had half naked women showing/driving, just standing there.
That would probably be enough to make me watch the show. I dont like 3/4 of the cars that go through there so I barely watch it.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:37 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,116

Was able to sell my signed Shelby car without putting it up for auction for what I wanted for it this Summer.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:44 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougger222 View Post
was able to sell my signed shelby car without putting it up for auction for what i wanted for it this summer.
Ertl?

Old 10-23-2008, 10:48 PM   #13
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyco View Post
Ertl?

As in Die Cast Model????

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
Old 10-23-2008, 10:49 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
Anyone watching it on Speed?

Anyone else playing the fantasy bid?

the only fantasy i play is with my left hand.

Advertisement