Ball Joints? - Vehicles - Contractor Talk

Ball Joints?

Old 12-01-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Licensed G. C. carpenter, flooring, remodeling
Rewards Points: 694

Ball Joints?

Took my truck in to get tires balanced because it was riding rough and the guy at good year told me my front lower ball joints were worn out and it was 550 dollars to replace them and this price included and alignment. I have got an 01 F-150 XL two wheel drive with 165,000 miles on it. I did not do it. I have been trying to research this some.

So i was looking into some ways to test it and onw way (supposedly) is to jack up the truck and grap the top and bottom of the tire and push with one arm and pull with the other. I did that an it won't move. So next. I jacked it up just enough to get a long crowbar under the tire and lifted up on it and the the tire does go up and down without pressing in the strut. My question is...

Should the wheel be able to go up and down to an extent, or should it be ridgid if the ball joints are good? That price sounds like a rip off too what you guys think?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-01-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 6,226

Re: Ball Joints?

Around here Goodyear is know for being high priced. Take it someplace else for another price.

Advertisement

Old 12-01-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,226

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird5 View Post
Took my truck in to get tires balanced because it was riding rough and the guy at good year told me my front lower ball joints were worn out and it was 550 dollars to replace them and this price included and alignment. I have got an 01 F-150 XL two wheel drive with 165,000 miles on it. I did not do it. I have been trying to research this some.

So i was looking into some ways to test it and onw way (supposedly) is to jack up the truck and grap the top and bottom of the tire and push with one arm and pull with the other. I did that an it won't move. So next. I jacked it up just enough to get a long crowbar under the tire and lifted up on it and the the tire does go up and down without pressing in the strut. My question is...

Should the wheel be able to go up and down to an extent, or should it be ridgid if the ball joints are good? That price sounds like a rip off too what you guys think?
When you do this you have to make sure you are lifting right under the ball joint.So it is in a position just like driving , but with the wheel off the ground then check for movement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: building
Rewards Points: 1,776

Any mechanic that you want to do business with will take you under the lift and show you exactly what a bad one looks like.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Property Preservation & Remodeling
Rewards Points: 500

I'll do em for treefiddy
The Following User Says Thank You to mbobbish734 For This Useful Post:
Beanfacekilla (12-01-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,226

Quote:
Originally Posted by duburban View Post
Any mechanic that you want to do business with will take you under the lift and show you exactly what a bad one looks like.
But just checking while on a lift without the wheels being properly supported will give you a false reading.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:27 PM   #7
Carpe Diem

Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Rewards Points: 1,114

Ford balljoints are known to go bad. I'll be replacing all 4 of mine as soon as I get the time. I suggest replacing with Moog with the grease fittings. Being able to keep them greased will make them last much longer.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:27 PM   #8
New Guy

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 14

When you jack up your truck, keep the jack as close as you can to the inside of your wheel without touching it. Then push and pull top and bottom. This way you're checking it "loaded". If there's play you'll need them. Also with a bar under tire if there's any movement, their worn. Don't lift from the frame to check your ball joints, that is if you did that.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #9
Pro

Yeah I do not usually deal with goodyear, but they did bring me in and show me what was up. I just do no know what is normal. Also should I have all 4 of them replaced? If i just do the bottoms, will I have more problems out of the tops later? Are they built into the control arm?
Old 12-01-2011, 10:33 PM   #10
Working

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,276

one side or both?

I don't think that is out of line for price.
An alingment alone costs $150. A new moog ball joint is $45.

A good mechanic usually the ones that cost more will clean out the control arm where the ball joint presses in. They won't let the caliper hang by the brake hose. They won't let the spindle hang by the tie rod. You know all the little details that make it cost more that the customer never understands. Most customers just want it as cheap as possible then bitch when the brake hose fails a month later because the cheap guy let the 20lb caliper hang by the rubber brake hose stressing the crimped on ends.

Cole

5 people replyed while I was typeing.

Last edited by Cole82; 12-01-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:34 PM   #11
Pro

Fords are also easy to replace if you have any mechanical knowledge.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:35 PM   #12
Carpe Diem

Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Rewards Points: 1,114

Yes, I'd replace all 4 with the previously mentioned type (Moog). I forget but possibly the uppers are control arm only. Maybe it's the lowers
Old 12-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbobbish734 View Post
Fords are also easy to replace if you have any mechanical knowledge.
I don't have mechanical knowledge I didn't know what a ball joint was til today.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Licensed Builder
Rewards Points: 250

I always thought you just jacked up the vehicle, from the frame, and pulled in and out on the bottom of tire (6 o'clock, bottom ball joint), and top of tire (12 o'clock, top balljoint). If it moves at all, clicks, whatever, the ball joints are bad. However, I am no mechanic.

I have also done balljoints twice, once on 4x2, and once on 4x4.

If you have a 2wd truck, rent a balljoint press, and do them yourself. The parts are relatively inexpensive. 4x4 I would hire it done.

Peace.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:45 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird5 View Post
I don't have mechanical knowledge I didn't know what a ball joint was til today.
Oh, I did not see this, perhaps you typed it when I was replying.

Perhaps you should look for prices on the repair

Peace.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:48 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird5

That's ok doesn't really matter not everyone does. In my market an alignment is $50 , the ball joints are probably $90 a side for good ones. The lower is just a ball joint, the upper is the control ARM with ball joint. Typical time is 3 hrs for both sides upper and lower. So...$90 in parts plus 3 hrs labor at what ever the going rate is near you plus alignment. Here I could get it done for about $370 . But I usually do it myself.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:27 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
That's ok doesn't really matter not everyone does. In my market an alignment is $50 , the ball joints are probably $90 a side for good ones. The lower is just a ball joint, the upper is the control ARM with ball joint. Typical time is 3 hrs for both sides upper and lower. So...$90 in parts plus 3 hrs labor at what ever the going rate is near you plus alignment. Here I could get it done for about $370 . But I usually do it myself.
Thats exactly what i was quoted 2.8 hrs labor at 85 per hr. alignment 90 bucks, but i think they were screwing me on parts. They wanted $150 for the joints. I feel like a typical homeowner B*tchin about the price being too high I mean i expect to get paid when I have to pick up or order material. The tables have turned.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluebird5 For This Useful Post:
Splinter hands (12-02-2011)
Old 12-02-2011, 01:00 AM   #18

Quote:

I would say more like $470+tax using your numbers for the total.

3 hrs @ $80/hr. +$50 alignment + $90/side parts.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanfacekilla View Post
I always thought you just jacked up the vehicle, from the frame, and pulled in and out on the bottom of tire (6 o'clock, bottom ball joint), and top of tire (12 o'clock, top balljoint). If it moves at all, clicks, whatever, the ball joints are bad. However, I am no mechanic.

I have also done balljoints twice, once on 4x2, and once on 4x4.

If you have a 2wd truck, rent a balljoint press, and do them yourself. The parts are relatively inexpensive. 4x4 I would hire it done.

Peace.
Pickle fork=balljoint press
Old 12-02-2011, 02:23 AM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter hands View Post
Pickle fork=balljoint press
I don't understand...

Please explain how a pickle fork can push the new ball joints into the steering knuckle/a-arms or whatever you call them??

Enlighten me, I may need to do ball joints again in this lifetime...

Peace.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Beanfacekilla For This Useful Post:
SummitRemodel (12-03-2011)