Your Brand Of Choice Of Battery Powered Tools - Page 5 - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Your Brand Of Choice Of Battery Powered Tools

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2020, 06:57 AM   #81
Artist and not a curator
 
Deckhead's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpentry,
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 9,641
Rewards Points: 7,432

Re: Your Brand Of Choice Of Battery Powered Tools


Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkist View Post
I am in total agreement the best example are plumbing fixtures the price difference from the box to a real supply house $300.00 easy.

Thanks to the rise of HGTV and others and the loss of real builders yards etc, we are all doomed to buy tools designed to sell at a price point.

Then the other problem the box stores do sell tools contractors need, have you ever seen stucco horses, drywall stilts ?.

We are confined to look for tools on the net I have a real tool store but its a hour away at 75 MPH, but I know I can buy a 6 foot level and a CASE to protect it.
Kimal on Fruitville sells a lot of nice tools.
__________________
‘ugly and inaccurate because our thoughts are foolish, but the slovenliness of our language makes it easier for us to have foolish thoughts.’ -George Orwell
Deckhead is online now  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 01-07-2020, 09:18 AM   #82
Pro
 
sunkist's Avatar
 
Trade: builder fl cbc
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: bradenton fl
Posts: 3,069
Rewards Points: 890

Re: Your Brand Of Choice Of Battery Powered Tools


Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkist View Post
I am in total agreement the best example are plumbing fixtures the price difference from the box to a real supply house $300.00 easy.

Thanks to the rise of HGTV and others and the loss of real builders yards etc, we are all doomed to buy tools designed to sell at a price point.

Then the other problem the box stores do sell tools contractors need, have you ever seen stucco horses, drywall stilts ?.

We are confined to look for tools on the net I have a real tool store but its a hour away at 75 MPH, but I know I can buy a 6 foot level and a CASE to protect it.
Kimal on Fruitville sells a lot of nice tools.
Yes sir Festool and good Levels.

Jim and Slim's tool supply in Largo was the tool store I referred to, they have a good website but I must admit in the last couple of years I have not had much need to buy tools
__________________
Still "Shakin" the tree boss
sunkist is offline  
Old 01-07-2020, 09:32 AM   #83
diplomat
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 5,292
Rewards Points: 1,550

Re: Your Brand Of Choice Of Battery Powered Tools


Back on topic, I am considering moving to Dewalt, Makita or both, from Milwaukee. Maybe just a slow transition. Replace tools as they wear or break. I like having one battery, but there are a few tools in those lines that Milwaukee doesn't have or doesn't do as well.

Also while Milwaukee has been durable - haven't bricked a single battery in 12 years, now with 3 guys sharing a relatively small pile of them, and tools have held up to a lot of abuse, they do seem to have one repeating issue- the switch failure. In the last month my almost new super hawg and brand new 12" miter saw had switch failures.
__________________
You make something idiot proof and the world invents a better idiot.
Golden view is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-07-2020, 09:55 AM   #84
Artist and not a curator
 
Deckhead's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpentry,
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 9,641
Rewards Points: 7,432

Re: Your Brand Of Choice Of Battery Powered Tools


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
Back on topic, I am considering moving to Dewalt, Makita or both, from Milwaukee. Maybe just a slow transition. Replace tools as they wear or break. I like having one battery, but there are a few tools in those lines that Milwaukee doesn't have or doesn't do as well.

Also while Milwaukee has been durable - haven't bricked a single battery in 12 years, now with 3 guys sharing a relatively small pile of them, and tools have held up to a lot of abuse, they do seem to have one repeating issue- the switch failure. In the last month my almost new super hawg and brand new 12" miter saw had switch failures.
I wouldnt switch necessarily if I was you. I think all of them have their little nuanced problems. I really like the Milwaukee 12v stuff that I have. I have the 20/60v dewalt stuff and just had a pretty new 9ah 60v battery give up on me. Then a 5ah 20v went out last week.but it was pretty old. Just saying, they all have their quirks.

If I had to do it again, I wouldnt mind making the 18v fuel stuff my main line and supplementing with dewalt. Of course I'm not in the field near as much as a lot of you guys so if a trigger goes it means the tool cant be used until fixed, if a battery goes you can just grab another. So time being more important maybe it makes sense for you.

FWIW, I bought the 20v as soon as it came out and the only thing things that have crapped out in like 7 years or whatever is one drill and one impact and both of them took dives a couple times.
__________________
‘ugly and inaccurate because our thoughts are foolish, but the slovenliness of our language makes it easier for us to have foolish thoughts.’ -George Orwell
Deckhead is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Deckhead For This Useful Post:
Golden view (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 09:58 AM   #85
diplomat
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 5,292
Rewards Points: 1,550

Re: Your Brand Of Choice Of Battery Powered Tools


Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
I wouldnt switch necessarily if I was you. I think all of them have their little nuanced problems. I really like the Milwaukee 12v stuff that I have. I have the 20/60v dewalt stuff and just had a pretty new 9ah 60v battery give up on me. Then a 5ah 20v went out last week.but it was pretty old. Just saying, they all have their quirks.

If I had to do it again, I wouldnt mind making the 18v fuel stuff my main line and supplementing with dewalt. Of course I'm not in the field near as much as a lot of you guys so if a trigger goes it means the tool cant be used until fixed, if a battery goes you can just grab another. So time being more important maybe it makes sense for you.

FWIW, I bought the 20v as soon as it came out and the only thing things that have crapped out in like 7 years or whatever is one drill and one impact and both of them took dives a couple times.
Yeah maybe I'll jut replace the things as they break or if I know there's something better. Like the rear handle saw, I'll probably get the DeWalt.
__________________
You make something idiot proof and the world invents a better idiot.
Golden view is offline  
Old 01-07-2020, 10:26 AM   #86
Artist and not a curator
 
Deckhead's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpentry,
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 9,641
Rewards Points: 7,432

Re: Your Brand Of Choice Of Battery Powered Tools


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
Yeah maybe I'll jut replace the things as they break or if I know there's something better. Like the rear handle saw, I'll probably get the DeWalt.
Two of the things I was really happy I had the Dewalt is the planer and the multi tool saw thing. I also really like the grinder.
__________________
‘ugly and inaccurate because our thoughts are foolish, but the slovenliness of our language makes it easier for us to have foolish thoughts.’ -George Orwell
Deckhead is online now  
Old 01-07-2020, 10:42 AM   #87
Pro
 
Mordekyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,863
Rewards Points: 6,080

Re: Your Brand Of Choice Of Battery Powered Tools


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
Yeah maybe I'll jut replace the things as they break or if I know there's something better. Like the rear handle saw, I'll probably get the DeWalt.


I like my Dewalt tools, and they rarely need service.

But the service center in PDX closed, and now all repairs have to be shipped to Utah. A slight disincentive.

Does Milwaukie have a service center in town?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mordekyle is offline  
Old 01-07-2020, 10:45 AM   #88
Pro
 
EricBrancard's Avatar
 
Trade: GC/Remodeling
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 7,365
Rewards Points: 986

Re: Your Brand Of Choice Of Battery Powered Tools


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
Back on topic, I am considering moving to Dewalt, Makita or both, from Milwaukee. Maybe just a slow transition. Replace tools as they wear or break. I like having one battery, but there are a few tools in those lines that Milwaukee doesn't have or doesn't do as well.

Also while Milwaukee has been durable - haven't bricked a single battery in 12 years, now with 3 guys sharing a relatively small pile of them, and tools have held up to a lot of abuse, they do seem to have one repeating issue- the switch failure. In the last month my almost new super hawg and brand new 12" miter saw had switch failures.
The switch issue is annoying. Usually a warranty repair, but still. Aside from that the Milwaukee stuff has been great and no battery issues. Of the main 3 brands in the cordless space, I still think Makita "feels" the best quality. I'm pretty much kitted out with M18 and M12, though, and don't see that changing in the near future.
EricBrancard is offline  
Old 01-07-2020, 10:55 AM   #89
diplomat
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 5,292
Rewards Points: 1,550

Re: Your Brand Of Choice Of Battery Powered Tools


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordekyle View Post
I like my Dewalt tools, and they rarely need service.

But the service center in PDX closed, and now all repairs have to be shipped to Utah. A slight disincentive.

Does Milwaukie have a service center in town?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Charles H Day does warranty repairs. But they take about 25 days.
__________________
You make something idiot proof and the world invents a better idiot.
Golden view is offline  
Old 01-07-2020, 11:49 AM   #90
LRG WoodCrafting

 
Leo G's Avatar
 
Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Windsor Locks, Connecticut
Posts: 43,119
Rewards Points: 11,901

Re: Your Brand Of Choice Of Battery Powered Tools


Buy a switch at eReplacementparts.com and do it yourself. Be fixed in a few days.
__________________
Sawdust Follows Me Everywhere
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
Sanding is the bane of my existence
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Leo G is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
Dirtywhiteboy (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 12:09 PM   #91
Pro
 
EricBrancard's Avatar
 
Trade: GC/Remodeling
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 7,365
Rewards Points: 986

Re: Your Brand Of Choice Of Battery Powered Tools


Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
Buy a switch at eReplacementparts.com and do it yourself. Be fixed in a few days.
I already paid for the tool, they can fix it.
EricBrancard is offline  
Old 01-07-2020, 12:56 PM   #92
Pro
 
Dirtywhiteboy's Avatar
 
Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Honolulu Oahu,Hawaii
Posts: 16,603
Rewards Points: 5,096

Re: Your Brand Of Choice Of Battery Powered Tools


Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBrancard View Post
I already paid for the tool, they can fix it.
E-replacements 3 days later you have the part.
__________________
I Have Done So Much With So Little For So Long, I Can Do Almost Anything With Nothing Now
Dirtywhiteboy is offline  
Old 01-07-2020, 01:41 PM   #93
LRG WoodCrafting

 
Leo G's Avatar
 
Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Windsor Locks, Connecticut
Posts: 43,119
Rewards Points: 11,901

Re: Your Brand Of Choice Of Battery Powered Tools


Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBrancard View Post
I already paid for the tool, they can fix it.
And I understand that concept. But in reality that takes a lot of time sometimes. If you can be without the tool for weeks then it's worth it. But for a simple switch that cost $20 and you can have your tool running in a few days.... your choice.
__________________
Sawdust Follows Me Everywhere
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
Sanding is the bane of my existence
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Leo G is online now  
Old 01-07-2020, 06:31 PM   #94
Pro
 
sunkist's Avatar
 
Trade: builder fl cbc
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: bradenton fl
Posts: 3,069
Rewards Points: 890

Re: Your Brand Of Choice Of Battery Powered Tools


Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBrancard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
Buy a switch at eReplacementparts.com and do it yourself. Be fixed in a few days.
I already paid for the tool, they can fix it.
Or just buy a bare tool and end up with a back up
That's how I ended up with 2 impact drivers..
That's worked out well when doing decks and metal studs.
__________________
Still "Shakin" the tree boss
sunkist is offline  
Old 01-07-2020, 07:01 PM   #95
Pro
 
EricBrancard's Avatar
 
Trade: GC/Remodeling
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 7,365
Rewards Points: 986

Re: Your Brand Of Choice Of Battery Powered Tools


Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkist View Post
Or just buy a bare tool and end up with a back up
That's how I ended up with 2 impact drivers..
That's worked out well when doing decks and metal studs.
That’s what I do. Then I send the other one out for warranty repair.
EricBrancard is offline  
Old 01-07-2020, 07:27 PM   #96
diplomat
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 5,292
Rewards Points: 1,550

Re: Your Brand Of Choice Of Battery Powered Tools


Yes some tool redundancy is needed no matter what. The tools I only have one of I probably use once a month and can usually get by with an alternative option.
__________________
You make something idiot proof and the world invents a better idiot.
Golden view is offline  
Old 01-07-2020, 07:49 PM   #97
Pro
 
Mike-B's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 538
Rewards Points: 1,244

Re: Your Brand Of Choice Of Battery Powered Tools


Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
And I understand that concept. But in reality that takes a lot of time sometimes. If you can be without the tool for weeks then it's worth it. But for a simple switch that cost $20 and you can have your tool running in a few days.... your choice.
I've tried to buy a switch for a Milwaukee M18 drill. For mine, I could not get just the switch. It was a whole "electronics assembly" at over $100.

I've got a pile of broken drills at our shop. We often take the apart to see if they are fixable without too much cost. It's pretty rare parts from one fit another. Its pretty rare they are worth fixing vs buying new.

We are 99% Milwaukee. Main reason is my local tool store runs deals every so often, bring the rep by and give some free swag, and they have cable crimpers and give me free dies from #6 to 250mcm when I buy one.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Mike-B is online now  
Old 01-16-2020, 11:44 AM   #98
Commercial Flooring Guy
 
Mitch15's Avatar
 
Trade: Flooring
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 21
Rewards Points: 66

Re: Your Brand Of Choice Of Battery Powered Tools


Makita without a doubt!
Mitch15 is offline  
Old 01-18-2020, 11:53 PM   #99
Pro
 
SearchforSignal's Avatar
 
Trade: Low voltage
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 451
Rewards Points: 744

Re: Your Brand Of Choice Of Battery Powered Tools


I run almost all completely cordless. Dont care what brand as long as its efficient and I dont hate using it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
SearchforSignal is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SearchforSignal For This Useful Post:
asevereid (01-19-2020), ContractorStevv (01-23-2020), Dirtywhiteboy (01-18-2020), EricBrancard (01-27-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 12:20 AM   #100
LRG WoodCrafting

 
Leo G's Avatar
 
Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Windsor Locks, Connecticut
Posts: 43,119
Rewards Points: 11,901

Re: Your Brand Of Choice Of Battery Powered Tools


Runner up for the TBA thread?

Advertisement

__________________
Sawdust Follows Me Everywhere
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
Sanding is the bane of my existence
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Leo G is online now  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?