Yet Another Use For The TS 55 - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Yet Another Use For The TS 55

Old 06-08-2010, 09:59 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Building and remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,738

Yet Another Use For The TS 55

I've had my Festool for about a year now and have always loved it, probably my favorite tool (sorry Makita miter saw, used to be my favorite ).

I use it (generaly) for cutting my ply that I use for cabinets- until today. I found a whole new use for this bad boy.

I normaly buy my hardwood then take it to a guy and have him straight edge and plain it. The guy I was using to do this started doing shotty work so I found a new guy that could plain then finish sand it to 3/4 but didn't have any way to straight edge it.

I had him do this then figured I would just take the lumber home and straight edge it myself the PIA way, put a straight line on it w/ a straight edge and a pencil then free hand it through the table saw. I was just about to start doing this when looked over at the wonderful little saw sitting there w/ a wierd glowing light around it. Then I thought, "what if I used the TS for straight edging?".

The boards that aren't quite wide enough for the guide I just butted up against another one (2 side by side) and it worked perrrrrrrrrrfect! I'll do this forever now!!

Thanks Festool!! Now if I can just figure out how to plain up to 12" wide boards w/ it I'll be all set !

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-08-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 756

Re: Yet Another Use For The TS 55

Did Warner pay you for this post? Probably got some free koolaid.

Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 06:52 AM   #3
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,760

...there are simple jigs you can build for your table saw that makes this is breeze, but if I had a TS I guess it would work here too.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TBFGhost For This Useful Post:
aptpupil (07-29-2010), mnjconstruction (06-10-2010), neolitic (06-09-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 07:13 AM   #4
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,040

I have a long, thin, aluminum straightedge with some Kreg clamps and a Makita 5005BA with a Matshush!ta blade that will do this all day long. I know you guys like your green koolaid, but I would put my Makita up against a Festool for precision any day.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Old 06-09-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,748

You are on Kent.

I would whoop you, all I have to do is flop the rail down and go. At least you were using my favorite blade.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:38 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Remodeling contractor
Rewards Points: 1,008

does your ts55 do 8' + lengths?
Old 06-09-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Building and remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,738

Yes it does, I bought the 106" guide rail and the saw comes w/ a 55". You can butt them together as well and get 170" guide but it's kind of a pain. They do make longer ones but I didn't want to have to store it, 106" is already kind of a pain.

I will say that if this is something you'll be using the TS a lot for I would get the TS 75; the 55 seemed to be working pretty hard cutting the long rips through the maple and believe it or not seemed to be working even harder on the cherry.

All in all though, It's a pretty BA saw! I remember when they first came out I thought, "What idiot would pay 500$ for a friggin skill saw?!", now I know!
Old 06-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
Wood Craftsman

Trade: High End Remodeling & Refurbishing
Rewards Points: 4,642
Talking

Warner is paying these guys,,,,, it's become political,,, the green freak is at it again,,, any way to endorse his collection,,,

I gotta start doing my own "American Made" endorsements,,hmmmmm

Why not use a good 1000lb cabinet saw?????? , Oliver, Tannawitz,Unisaw,Northfield,Powermatic ,you can go as far as you want until you hit the wall, I know you guys like the "green" - but I thought I would give my plug for the old American made machinery of yesterday

Wentworth,
The Following User Says Thank You to PrestigeR&D For This Useful Post:
Aaron Berk (09-09-2010)
Old 06-09-2010, 10:28 AM   #9
MattMatt

Trade: Remodeling/Renovation
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
I have a long, thin, aluminum straightedge with some Kreg clamps and a Makita 5005BA with a Matshush!ta blade that will do this all day long. I know you guys like your green koolaid, but I would put my Makita up against a Festool for precision any day.
That is a great little saw.

The Festool has a big advantage (even over the Makita SP6000K) when making these types of cuts, at that is the riving knife.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #10
I like Green things

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcleve4911 View Post
does your ts55 do 8' + lengths?
You can do 100' if you want. They make a rail that is about 16' long.

I have joined rails together to cut over 20' continuously before.
Mad many a tapered column with the 55 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsk8 View Post
Yes it does, I bought the 106" guide rail and the saw comes w/ a 55". You can butt them together as well and get 170" guide but it's kind of a pain. They do make longer ones but I didn't want to have to store it, 106" is already kind of a pain.

I will say that if this is something you'll be using the TS a lot for I would get the TS 75; the 55 seemed to be working pretty hard cutting the long rips through the maple and believe it or not seemed to be working even harder on the cherry.

All in all though, It's a pretty BA saw! I remember when they first came out I thought, "What idiot would pay 500$ for a friggin skill saw?!", now I know!

Matt- What blade are you using? If you don't have anyone but the factory 48T blade, it will struggle a little. I suggest getting one of the tenryu 24t or the new version of the festool's panther blade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigeR&D View Post
Warner is paying these guys,,,,, it's become political,,, the green freak is at it again,,, any way to endorse his collection,,,

I gotta start doing my own "American Made" endorsements,,hmmmmm

Why not use a good 1000lb cabinet saw?????? , Oliver, Tannawitz,Unisaw,Northfield,Powermatic ,you can go as far as you want until you hit the wall, I know you guys like the "green" - but I thought I would give my plug for the old American made machinery of yesterday

Wentworth,

Honestly, the track saws make the tasks of straight lining lumber very easy and very safe. Like Matt mentioned, the riving knife is a sweet little feature.

You can rip a bevel with the saw and the saw does not come off the cut line at the guide rail, like regular circular saws do.

I have spent the last week using my 55 all day trimming old doors to go into different old openings. I only have to move the door slab one time to cut any or all of the edges.

It makes breaking down sheet goods a simple, easy and safe task for one person.

The TS saws are worth their weight in gold.

I wish they were paying me.....I have well over 12k wrapped up in my green tools.

Last edited by WarnerConstInc.; 06-09-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Commercial Superintendent
Rewards Points: 3,428

Quote:
Originally Posted by framerman View Post
Matshush!ta blade
Is Matshusita a bad word?
Old 06-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #12
I like Green things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
Is Matshusita a bad word?
It is for the word filters on here.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #13
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,040

lol Darcy...it's so easy to get you riled up.

I would love to have your toys but I just can't justify it. We had a guy on the golf course job last winter that had all Festool and he was constantly making sure no one was using his stuff.

8000 RPM on my little Makita. It is an incredible little guy. Table sucks on it though. I don't know how many roofs it has been dropped off doing skip sheathing.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Old 06-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #14
I like Green things

Yeah sometimes Kent!!

I really think that a rail saw is invaluable tool for a finish carpenter and anyone who breaks down sheet goods by them selves.

500 bucks is about what guys spend on a nice portable table saw.

There are still a few tasks that a table saw may be needed but, for the $$$, a TS-55 is way more versatile.

Or you could just be afraid of getting addicted and having to sell plasma and man glaze.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #15
Dan

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

I agree, the ts 75 i own with two rails hooked together works great. someday i might get around to buying a 106" rail but for now. i'll just join them together, that way they are easier to take to the jobsites when i don't have the trailer with me

I love that saw. i still use my table saw a lot but the TS saws are awesome. I should be buying a new blade for mine soon. Those Festool blades do last a while.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:26 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Remodel/Deck
Rewards Points: 1,754

I use both a TS55 and a little DeWalt 745 table saw. I wouldn't want to be without either. I can get away with just the table saw, but I don't think I could get away with just the TS55. Too many narrow/short rips. But, if I only had a table saw, I would want a larger one. The TS55 is my favorite, though. I just love using that thing!
Old 06-09-2010, 11:03 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: remodeling

I've made some clear finished hardwood furniture recently and have been using my TS 55 to joint edges for gluing. The saw leaves a glue ready edge, it is that smooth and straight.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:09 AM   #18
Dan

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

what blade are you using for a glue ready edge. I'm replacing my ts 75 blade very soon and would be good to know.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: remodeling

The blade that came with it. I think they all come with the same blade, but if not and that's not enough info, let me know and I can check the blade to tell you exactly what it is.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:13 PM   #20
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,760

"glue ready" is a relative term... I have ripped "glue ready" boards on my cheap a$$, small Ryobi table saw...but at the same time there are boards that arn't "glue ready" untill they see a jointer.

Advertisement