What A Frickin Chore. Shop Overhaul - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

What A Frickin Chore. Shop Overhaul

Old 07-10-2019, 12:26 PM   #1
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 710

What A Frickin Chore. Shop Overhaul

Made a mistake on the work calendar & thought I had this week booked up, but as it turns out, I got confused & somehow didn't have anything scheduled this week. Rather than trying to fill it up, I took advantage of the screwup & tore into the shop overhaul/reorganization.

Made some serious progress on organizing the new warehouse. Most of the pallet racking is up & partially stocked. Pics to follow.

Yesterday morning, I tore into the shop itself. Every since we got the straightline rip saw, the flow has been awkward because the tablesaw got shuffled into a corner, instead of the center of the shop. Well, in order to make that happen, all 3 shapers had to be changed up as well. One shaper is for running long stock, one for copes & the big boy for raised panels. They all got new positions as of this morning.

Last night, after it cooled down, we decided to move the straightline saw. Only had to move it 10', but it took over 1 1/2 hours to get into it's new space. 5000# forklift & a 6400# saw makes for some creative rigging. But we finally got it lifted & shuffled into it's new home.

Next step is to get everything rewired & rework the dust collection. Thats a days work in itself.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (07-10-2019), griz (07-10-2019), hdavis (07-17-2019), Idothat (07-10-2019), KAP (07-10-2019), SmallTownGuy (07-10-2019), tgeb (07-10-2019), Tom M (07-10-2019), Xtrememtnbiker (07-10-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2019, 02:39 PM   #2
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 7,998

Re: What A Frickin Chore. Shop Overhaul

psshaw - first world problems.

And good for you - got the chance to organize and appreciate the new space.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
pinwheel (07-14-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 10:35 PM   #3
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 13,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel View Post
Made a mistake on the work calendar & thought I had this week booked up, but as it turns out, I got confused & somehow didn't have anything scheduled this week. Rather than trying to fill it up, I took advantage of the screwup & tore into the shop overhaul/reorganization.

Made some serious progress on organizing the new warehouse. Most of the pallet racking is up & partially stocked. Pics to follow.

Yesterday morning, I tore into the shop itself. Every since we got the straightline rip saw, the flow has been awkward because the tablesaw got shuffled into a corner, instead of the center of the shop. Well, in order to make that happen, all 3 shapers had to be changed up as well. One shaper is for running long stock, one for copes & the big boy for raised panels. They all got new positions as of this morning.

Last night, after it cooled down, we decided to move the straightline saw. Only had to move it 10', but it took over 1 1/2 hours to get into it's new space. 5000# forklift & a 6400# saw makes for some creative rigging. But we finally got it lifted & shuffled into it's new home.

Next step is to get everything rewired & rework the dust collection. Thats a days work in itself.
That 100% sucks. I am sooooo not looking forward to moving the shop. I'd like to sell everything with the shop just so I can go crazy on buying stuff at auctions since I will almost definitely have to dial everything back in and wire/duct up new anyhow.
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2019, 04:11 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeling 30+ yrs
Rewards Points: 3,920

Didnít happen unless thereís pictures!
Old 07-17-2019, 05:00 PM   #5
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snobnd View Post
Didn’t happen unless there’s pictures!
They're coming, they're coming, once I finally get done. Hopefully finish up tomorrow. But I've been saying that for a week so who knows.

I had to rewire & replumb dust collection on 8 machines. Finished wiring the last 2 machines last night, just gotta get the air ran to them. Then the bad part, gotta clean off all the benches & flat surfaces that are piled under.

Last edited by pinwheel; 07-17-2019 at 05:04 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
hdavis (07-17-2019)
Old Today, 09:42 AM   #6
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,568

I am one full week into moving everything so I can paint all the exterior walls. But I have a 12k pound lift, so not too hard to move stuff.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Advertisement