What Cordless/impact Driver To Get? - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

What Cordless/impact Driver To Get?

Old 11-25-2014, 01:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

What Cordless/impact Driver To Get?

Hey lads just starting an apprenticeship and am wondering what cordless or impact driver I should get? Or should I get both and if so why? Lookin for an 18v one

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-25-2014, 01:14 PM   #2

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 76

Re: What Cordless/impact Driver To Get?

I use the Bosch 18v drill and impact driver, bought it as a set at Lowes. Had a DeWalt 20v for about one day and hated it, bought the bosch and haven't looked back. good battery life, tough, the impactor is great for driving screws and I use it 95% of the time but the drill/driver is always there for drilling pilot holes, sheetrock, ect... If you have the money, the Milwaukee Fuel brushless is fantastic, i'd own one if I could afford it. Best of luck, anthony

Advertisement

Old 11-25-2014, 01:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Finelli View Post
I use the Bosch 18v drill and impact driver, bought it as a set at Lowes. Had a DeWalt 20v for about one day and hated it, bought the bosch and haven't looked back. good battery life, tough, the impactor is great for driving screws and I use it 95% of the time but the drill/driver is always there for drilling pilot holes, sheetrock, ect... If you have the money, the Milwaukee Fuel brushless is fantastic, i'd own one if I could afford it. Best of luck, anthony
Thanks Anthony I appreciate that. There is a 18v 4.0 Ah bosch cordless drill with impact setting I think is this true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #4

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 76

not sure, I have a dedicated impact driver, Bosch calls it the "Impactor," they make a brushless version also with the larger battery (4ah), I have the smaller (2ah). Do some research on the brands, I prefer Bosch or Milwaukee when it comes to drills, I went with what I could afford at the time.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:36 PM   #5

Cheers. I have decided on either makita or bosch. I am doing carpentry and looking to get something that is going to last me
Old 11-25-2014, 02:10 PM   #6
Safety Third

Trade: Concrete Cowboy
Rewards Points: 828

I have both a Makita brushless drill/driver combo, and the Hilti SFH- and SID-18+ combo. The Makita is my personal set I bought for my apprenticeship, and it is great. Lots of power and decent battery life (at least to me, I don't have huge expectations from most cordless tools). Most guys and companies around here run Makita, so batteries are plenty and everything is interchangeable. The Hilti is a set my company bought for me to use, and is fantastic. Well balanced, tons of power, selectable impact settings, and the batteries are actually 21V. That said the Hilti is obviously way more expensive. Both are incredibly durable, constantly surviving the rigours of an industrial construction setting.

I mainly use the impact driver for setting screws and lags in formwork and the occasional cladding, and the drill for bolt templates. Obviously not as involved in my use as say a remodeller or cabinet guy. Most of the top quality brands (Makita, Bosch, Milwaulkee, Dewalt) are going to last you if you look after your tools. Just look around and talk to the local suppliers, if your area leans a certain way it makes battery sharing and charging easier. But pick something that you like, fits in your hand, and fits your budget, there is plenty of time to buy better tools as a journeyman. And most importantly: post pics of what you get in the TBA thread
Old 11-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 3,276

go for ergonomics first. If it fits you badly, or you hate the way it feels, it will not be an extension of you.

Your just starting out, so unless you got a lot of money to blow, look for deals. Black friday is here, lots of good deals.

Your doing carpentry, what type? Im no carpenter, but a higher quality corded tool can usually be had for the same money as a cordless version. Cordless tools won't last all day, you still need extra batteries and chargers.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #8
The Remodeler

Trade: Home Remodeler
Rewards Points: 240

My Hilti 14.4 out powers my Makita 18v. It's lighter also. The batteries last a long time
Old 11-25-2014, 02:31 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,968

I have dewalts 20v Max line . Very happy with it . It's not the brushless model thow .
Old 11-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Finishing Carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,120

Having used most brands I'd say(not including hilti)

1)Milwaukee
2)makita
3)bosch

I like the bosch drill better than the makita drill. But I feel the makita impact is better than the bosch impactor. For Milwaukee both impact/drill feel more powerful, and feel well made.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:37 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: General Remodeling
Rewards Points: 342

Milwaukee fuel line of tools are very impressive.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xtrememtnbiker For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (11-29-2014)
Old 11-27-2014, 11:47 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Carpentry / Remodeling
Rewards Points: 355

M18 Fuel gets my vote hands down.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:59 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 874

I love the Panasonic, but due to the lack of a complete lineup, I probably wouldn't buy it, unless all I needed was a drill and impact. If I was starting fresh, probably Milwaukee fuel or Dewalt 20V.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #14

Trade: general
Rewards Points: 294

I'm loving Dewalt 20 volt max lithium "anything they make" these days. I even got that light little 20 volt max circular saw and end up grabbing it all the time.

I bought a different brand drill last summer to drill holes in concrete. Literally destroyed it in about 15 minutes. Took it back to the store the next day and the guy at return looked at me like 'what the heck'?

But Dewalt just seems to keep going. Never any complaints. Batteries last forever.

Haven't tried lots of different brands. There could be something better for sure. Just hard for me to switch horses when Dewalt never has let me down. So that's all I can say.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: remodel,finish&trim
Rewards Points: 2,412

a favorite subject .have been great discussions on this subject . if you do not buy something due to a great deal then buy brushless . the increased battery life more then covers the cost . i will only purchase brushless now . went to a tool show at my lumberyard .when i tested the milwaukee drivers i was so surprised how they out performed my makita stuff . home depot had a bunch of the compact [nonbrushless] demo set-up .the milwaukee was by far my 1st choice for performance.
but i really would like one that feels great in my hand .see if you can get to a supply show near you so you can get your hands on a few . I am thinking makita is far behind the curve .outdated technology . what will you be using it for ?
this new stuff last a long time compared to the old nicads . buy one you like the feel of ,your going to have it awhile .
"tools of the trade "has reviews .google it .they will send you a free subscription .
Old 11-27-2014, 02:43 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: residential construction
Rewards Points: 392

I have the HILTI 18v Impact and love the thing. If your looking for a vast cordless line HILTI does not offer it. How ever their impact is awesome I beat my buddies/coworkers Milwaukee fuel driving almost any thing. Faster yes stronger/torque I think they are about the same not positive his is louder though.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:47 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: residential construction
Rewards Points: 392

Either way you go, buy what makes you happy and fits your style. Want a huge cordless line Milwaukee or Makita is your best choice.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:53 PM   #18
Business Owner

Trade: Schluter Systems ASD, General Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 330

+1 On the HILTI SID 18, I can't believe how long the batteries last on that thing!
Old 11-27-2014, 05:37 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: remodel,finish&trim
Rewards Points: 2,412

i have the older panasonic 14 volt .first brushless I got . I have three batteries with it .sure is an upgrade over the old nicads . all my batteries are still seemly fine and i have been using it primarily for at least 4 yrs now .i used to replace the nicads constantly and i used up 3 motors on the impact over 6 yrs . lithium and brushless is a great improvement . not sure if i have ever needed all 3 batteries with the panasonic in one day but driving constr lags does use them up .
also as a comparrison it does far better on the lags then the makita's I own .
that hilti is heavy isn't it ? bet it would be good for doing lag screws
Old 11-27-2014, 06:10 PM   #20
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,268

I know this won't help but any name brand will be good. I like the advice as to buying what feels good in YOUR hands.

Advertisement

Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.