Trailer Brand/Size - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Trailer Brand/Size

Old 01-29-2011, 12:43 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: GC/Carpentry
Rewards Points: 107

Trailer Brand/Size

We have outgrown our single axle 6x12. We weigh in over the weight limits on the trailer now without evening keeping all our tools on the trailer. We are looking to get a 7x14 or 7x16 trailer now that has brakes and can hold the weight and size. We do a huge variety of projects, mostly carpentry based (framing, trim, wood floors, siding, window and door install, decks, etc). What is the best bang for the buck on a brand and style of trailer? I would like to be able to put in florescent lights and a few plugs and a few other things now that the trailer will be larger. I also want to insulate and put in a small heater. We will also set up a small section as a desk area and use it as a jobsite trailer on the jobs we can. We will also put in a floor liner (Rhino or porch paint or something). It needs to be pretty secure (our current one has an alarm of which we have had set off a couple times and neighbors have called us when we've left it at jobs to let us know). Thoughts?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-29-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 109

Re: Trailer Brand/Size

a 7x14 or 16 is plenty for those who use the trailer for storage only. For those who work in the trailer cutting or braking material, it can be too small.

I have a 7x14 and love the size. Make sure you get one you can stand up in. Mine stands at 6'8" i believe. It sure makes a difference.

Brakes are a big plus. Less wear on the front brakes of the tow vehicle as well.

Everyone prefers a different brand. I like Interstate trailers. They are well built IMO. My father in law has a 2001 Interstate 7x14 V nose with almost 300,000 miles on it.

Advertisement

Old 01-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

I just recently upgraded from a 6x12 to a 7x14. Bought is from Pace.

Extra front frame member to take more weight, insulated, roof rack, torsion axles, brakes are standard and required. Extra 3/4" plywood at top and bottom inside trailer for mounting shelving, extra 6" interior height, etc.

Go to a trailer sales dealer who KNOWS how to build a trailer. My guy saved me $3,000 by not going to the top of the line trailer, and built me a trailer just as good, or better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
Resident Pain

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 1,730

i am also looking for bigger trailer i was just looking at 7x14 as well seems nice in size coming from a 6x12 i have an atlas and i am going to go with atlas again.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:14 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 998

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanningCustom View Post
i am also looking for bigger trailer i was just looking at 7x14 as well seems nice in size coming from a 6x12 i have an atlas and i am going to go with atlas again.

Joe,
Take a look at the one I have, or similar. Actiontrailersales.com I do believe. Strathroy isn't too far. I saved a great deal.

I have a 7x14+V (16'4"inside), extra height, brakes both axles, all aluminum. Wish I would of went to an 8x16 though. That extra foot of walking space inside between shelves woulda been nice. Extra bit of length for extension ladders inside as well woulda been a bonus. Just need to get roof racks.