Tracksaw Options - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Tracksaw Options

Old 07-11-2015, 09:49 AM   #1
improving homes

Trade: Roofing/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 346

Tracksaw Options

I know I'm way late to the tracksaw party but I'm finally ready to pick one up. I looked at getting one about 5 years ago but ended up getting a new table saw instead. But have a job that will involve cutting up a bunch of sheets of oak faced plywood coming up so should be the perfect time to pick up a tracksaw.

So what are all my options? I know when I looked 5-6 years ago there was only a couple of options but looks like all the big names have their own version. I'm sure I will find all sorts of uses for it once I have one but I don't see it being used everyweek. To be honest it will probably sit on the shelf most of it's life until that odd job comes up where it is needed. I see it being used for cutting sheet good, trimming doors, plunge cuts, etc. So just trying to see what's out there and which one would be best for me.

Thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-11-2015, 10:49 AM   #2
I'm on a boat!

Trade: Yacht carpenter
Rewards Points: 3,442

Re: Tracksaw Options

I'll cast a vote for festool.

But regardless of brand, once you have one, you'll be amazed at all of the uses you'll find for it.

Advertisement

Old 07-11-2015, 11:30 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Carpenter/Handyman
Rewards Points: 1,484

Depends on budget. I want one but it's not in the budget yet. Most of what I'm seeing is festool is number 1, with the makita a close second. The Dewalt is ok but seems a little bulky to me.

I'll be getting a makita myself. Festool is nice but I can't justify the extra 300$.
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2015, 11:34 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 1,844

I have a festool and love it. Heard good thing about makita. Either one in sure you will be pleased. And as for finding uses I pull mind out to cut sheathing all the time.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:26 PM   #5
improving homes

The makita looks nice and the price isnt too bad either. Are there any features that are nice to have when selecting one of these? I'm thinking about just getting the 55" track for now and adding the longer one when I need it.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:50 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: General Remodeling
Rewards Points: 306

I have the Festool and think it's fantastic. Haven't been disappointed yet.

I hear lots of good stuff about the Makita as well.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:31 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Company
Rewards Points: 562

Mafell is number one. I bought Festool because the other tools by Festool are cheaper, and I can buy Festool 4 miles from my shop. Mafell wants $700 - $900 for a jig saw.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:50 PM   #8
Want to play a game?

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 4,196

I have the Makita and it is pretty slick. I chose it because it was on sale and most folks say it is comparable to the Festool and has a touch more power than the Festool. I also like the Makita because it has the anti tip tab and the tracks will work with Festool or vise versa.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,536

I kinda lean towards Festool.

Tom
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tjbnwi For This Useful Post:
Spencer (07-12-2015), Tom Struble (07-13-2015), Xtrememtnbiker (07-11-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 07:11 PM   #10
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 18,596

I'd cast a vote for Makita if it's not going to get used on every job. It works great with a midi as well.

Last edited by Calidecks; 07-11-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:32 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: capenter
Rewards Points: 219

I have the festool ts55r and recommend the makita now. Nothing wrong with the festool, in Canada the festool is over$800. That said I want a ts75 now.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:55 AM   #12
improving homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
I'd cast a vote for Makita if it's not going to get used on every job. It works great with a midi as well.
What is a midi?
Old 07-12-2015, 10:43 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 276

I own the Dewalt and have used the festool. I prefer the way the Dewalt plunges, probably because that's what I am used to, but other than that I buy any of them. The festool tracks are much nicer than the Dewalt tracks(Dewalt works on either).
Old 07-12-2015, 11:50 AM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumLLC View Post
What is a midi?
It is the Festool CT Midi dust extractor.

http://www.tool-home.com/products/ca...ducts_id/25143

Tom
Old 07-13-2015, 04:44 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Framing, Carpentry
Rewards Points: 175

I have the Makita with the 118" and 55" tracks. It's a fantastic saw. I don't know if they've improved it since I bought it a few years back (I know there is a new model out but from what I've seen it's pretty much the same), however I know that the Festool has a riving knife while the Makita doesn't.

You just need to be careful when you start using it as I wasn't. I was showing a friend the saw on one of the first times I was using it, and forgot that I changed the depth to show how far it could plunge, and when I went to use if for some 3/4", it grabbed one of the 2x4 scrap support pieces and it kind of bounced back on me, jumped outta the track and took a bite from my 55" track. All is well, still cuts perfect but it was something to make sure I always check. That said, I don't know if a riving knife would have helped there or if I've done anything with it that would need it. There are probably only two times in my life that I NEEDED a riving knife and that was from this one board that was under crazy weird tension. Cross cutting it on my miter saw and on our unisaw bit the blade and buck-kicked the board all over like a mule.

The saw makes cuts so fast though- especially if you need to scribe random angles in sheet goods. It's saved me several dozen hours of math
Old 07-13-2015, 09:32 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: residential construction
Rewards Points: 352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
Is Mafelle the added cost of Festool?
Old 07-13-2015, 09:37 PM   #17
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 18,596

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designed2Fail View Post
Is Mafelle the added cost of Festool?
I love my mafell. And I really like the mafell rails.

The reason someone buys a mafell over a festool, is the same reason someone would buy a festool over a DeWalt. Imo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
overanalyze (07-13-2015), Tylerwalker32 (07-14-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 10:50 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 874

I sold one of my Festool's, and later picked up a Dewalt kit with both the 55 and 102 inch tracks for 529. I think its the best value of the bunch. I still use the festool as well, and its a fine saw, but using it side by side with the dewalt, I don't think its worth more money, other than the fact that the resale was good, but I don't generally buy tools with the idea to sell them in mind. I just can't fork over what Festool wants for the 100+ inch track ($320). Already owned a HEPA vac, so the Midi or other elements of the festool system don't really appeal to me or add value to the track saw. I think the Makita was sold in a kit with both tracks when it was introduced as a promo but is no longer available and you have to purchase the long track separately.

They are all good saws, heck even the Grizzly cuts nice for what it is.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:58 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,044

They can all cut straight lines in plywood. I like the Festool's general usability, ease of things like blade changes, dust collection, etc. I dislike one minor thing about the Festool - it's flopping dust port, for which there's a fix, I understand.

Last edited by CarpenterSFO; 07-15-2015 at 02:45 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:28 AM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
They can all cut straight lines in plywood. I like the Festool's general usability, ease of things like blade changes, dust collection, etc. I dislike one minor thing about the Festool - it's flopping dust port, for which there's a fix, I understand.

Here you go Bob. Fixes the problem of the flopping port. Easy to change, but must be clocked properly for the housing to be reassembled correctly.

http://www.tool-home.com/products/ca...ducts_id/25415

Tom

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to tjbnwi For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (07-15-2015)