Tool Organizers Part2 - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Tool Organizers Part2

Old 10-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpentry Contractor
Rewards Points: 496

Tool Organizers Part2

I read GRB's first article on tool organizers in TOT. It left me wanting to know about the many others that were not detailed in the article.

I'm not talking about the systainer type storages, but most of the totes were of the very high end type.

I've started on the green kool aid, which doesn't leave me much extra cash for these type items at this time.

I would love to see a comparison between something like the Veto vs. Husky tool carriers. The Veto's and Occidentals are probably at least 4-6 times as much in cost. Are they that much better?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 4,264

Re: Tool Organizers Part2

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood View Post
I read GRB's first article on tool organizers in TOT. It left me wanting to know about the many others that were not detailed in the article.

I'm not talking about the systainer type storages, but most of the totes were of the very high end type.

I've started on the green kool aid, which doesn't leave me much extra cash for these type items at this time.

I would love to see a comparison between something like the Veto vs. Husky tool carriers. The Veto's and Occidentals are probably at least 4-6 times as much in cost. Are they that much better?
Only if you get the closed top bag. LC is perfect...it's only money.

Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,216

I would never buy an expensive tool bag. I find that the Husky type last very long and that no "one bag" ever solves my organizational needs. I have a few bags stream lined to the type of work I am doing. I only travel with a couple and it keeps them lighter.

If I were an electrican then maybe one big bag can hold loads of useful small hand tools. Carpentry pry bars and chisels and everything else you can think of is too heavy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom M For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (10-19-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
Pro

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:

For the record, the piece I did was greatly edited. I submitted upwards of 6,000 words & literally hundreds of photos covering about 20 organizers. The editors decided they had the room to only cover what you saw & asked me to narrow the field to my favorites exclusive of the modular category (Systainers, Bosch L-Boxx, Dewalt Tough Box, etc). I complied with their request.

I didn't look at any of the organizers from Husky, as they never responded to my inquiries or requests. Same goes for a few other manufacturers. The bottom line is that doing an exhaustive piece requires the cooperation of many parties & it's nearly impossible for someone in my position as an average contractor to get that cooperation.

I learned a lot by doing the piece. But I wish I had been able to convey all I learned as well as have had the opportunity to evaluate other organizers that were less expensive.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GRB For This Useful Post:
charimon (09-30-2013), Clarke Carpentry (10-19-2012), donerightwyo (10-19-2012), Kent Whitten (10-19-2012), Tom M (10-19-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,040

Maybe you should post the full piece somewhere, like your website. I would be interested in seeing it myself.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kent Whitten For This Useful Post:
Cole82 (10-19-2012), Dirtywhiteboy (10-20-2012), GRB (10-19-2012), hdavis (10-20-2012), larry228 (10-20-2012), overanalyze (10-19-2012), redwood (10-19-2012), Rich D. (10-20-2012), SmallTownGuy (10-20-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
Power-Whittler

Trade: Custom Carpentry & Cabinetmaking

Although it's a confirmation of suspicion, that's still a great post GRB.

The only reviews I trust are the BBC's Top Gear and this place.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Whitten View Post
Maybe you should post the full piece somewhere, like your website. I would be interested in seeing it myself.
I like the way you think, Kent. My wife & I were just discussing doing exactly that. I need to make sure I don't run afoul of the restrictions I agreed to when I submitted the piece, so it may be awhile.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #8
Pro

Rewards Points: 496

Are you saying that you had to aquire the samples? I'm supposed to do a similar type article on another type of product for a different mag. My understanding is that they will get the products for me to test. I did have to give them manufacturer names.

FYI, I can't compare Husky to the other similar products, but I've had a couple of their bags for a few years now. They seem to be well made at a fraction of the cost of those that you mentioned.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:05 AM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Are you saying that you had to aquire the samples? I'm supposed to do a similar type article on another type of product for a different mag. My understanding is that they will get the products for me to test. I did have to give them manufacturer names.
Yes. And it was a challenge to say the least. I figure I spent as much time on acquiring (or attempting to acquire) samples as I did on actually working on the piece.

Cooperation from the various manufacturers was mixed - some were great to deal with & were helpful & responsive, others sent only part of the request, some items were damaged in shipment never to be replaced & several promised product & never came through. Others, like Husky, never responded to repeated requests for info & samples. At the end, I just started buying stuff out of my own pocket to round out the piece (& no, I don't get reimbursed when I do that).

As I said, it was a learning experience.

As far as comparing the Husky organizers to others, I paid no attention to price points when selecting pieces to review. There's no doubt there are cheaper alternatives to some of the items that made it into the article, but my goal wasn't to examine only organizers costing between X&Y dollars. I wanted to look at innovative products & felt setting a cap (or a minimum) would be unfair. I left it up to the reader to decide whether there might be perceived value in some or all of the products.

We all work differently & all have different budgets & notions of value. While you or I may flinch at the thought of spending over 50 bucks (as an example) on a tool organizer, others may have the same reaction at the $25 or $500 threshold. The quality & features of the products I evaluated are varied - just like the prices.

What you don't see in the published piece is that I also looked at inexpensive products costing as little as 12 bucks or so. I assumed all the products I reviewed would make it into the article, but it didn't turn out that way.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #10
Repair & Renovation

Trade: R. Damato Construction
Rewards Points: 2,584

Do you have a link to the TOT article you wrote GRB?
Old 10-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,768

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB View Post
What you don't see in the published piece is that I also looked at inexpensive products costing as little as 12 bucks or so. I assumed all the products I reviewed would make it into the article, but it didn't turn out that way.
Probably the expensive ones do more advertising with the magazine (or may in the future). I never saw a HF ad in FHB
Old 10-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #12
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 4,026

Quote:
For the record, the piece I did was greatly edited. I submitted upwards of 6,000 words & literally hundreds of photos covering about 20 organizers. The editors decided they had the room to only cover what you saw & asked me to narrow the field to my favorites exclusive of the modular category (Systainers, Bosch L-Boxx, Dewalt Tough Box, etc). I complied with their request.

I didn't look at any of the organizers from Husky, as they never responded to my inquiries or requests. Same goes for a few other manufacturers. The bottom line is that doing an exhaustive piece requires the cooperation of many parties & it's nearly impossible for someone in my position as an average contractor to get that cooperation.

I learned a lot by doing the piece. But I wish I had been able to convey all I learned as well as have had the opportunity to evaluate other organizers that were less expensive.
Link please...
Old 10-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich D. View Post
Do you have a link to the TOT article you wrote GRB?
http://mydigimag.rrd.com/publication/?i=129103&p=18
Old 10-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #14
Repair & Renovation

Trade: R. Damato Construction
Rewards Points: 2,584

Thanks GRB.

great article.
GRB (10-20-2012)
Old 10-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
Probably the expensive ones do more advertising with the magazine (or may in the future). I never saw a HF ad in FHB
I don't think so, as the editors deferred to me to select the favorites of our testers. I think it was just a matter of space they were willing to commit to the subject.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #16
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 3,544

Seems well written. Nice job!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:20 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: DECK BUILDER. RESIDENTIAL. COMMERCIAL
Rewards Points: 4,608

Quote:

Good article try posting it here.

Advertisement