Time For A Table Saw - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Time For A Table Saw

Old 03-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Building and remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,738

Time For A Table Saw

I need to get a solid table saw. I've been struggling through w/ a portable Rigid for about 5 years now and I think I'm ready for a real saw. I was looking at this one at Woodcraft: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...bur-Fence.aspx

Just curious if anyone here had anything to say about this saw, whether good or bad. I know there's better ones to be had, but I can't affoard the one I'd truly want right now and that would be the Delta Unisaw (at about $3500 as opposed to $1300 !).

Thanks for any input !!!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
All ahead flank

Trade: Kitchen and Bath Remodeling, Home Improvement
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Time For A Table Saw

At that price, you may want to consider the Grizzly 1023 series. Very similar machine, many reviews online rate it highly.

My own recommendation would be to find a used Unisaw for about 800. to 900., congratulate yourself on a great purchase, and keep the rest of your hard earned cash.

Advertisement

Old 03-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in VaBeach View Post
At that price, you may want to consider the Grizzly 1023 series. Very similar machine, many reviews online rate it highly.

My own recommendation would be to find a used Unisaw for about 800. to 900., congratulate yourself on a great purchase, and keep the rest of your hard earned cash.
Are there any unisaws I should avoid? I did consider that but a lot of them that are for sale are from the 50's. I can't have anything too super duper huge because my shop's kind of small, but I need a solid saw. Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely look into the grizzly as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,320

Nothing wrong with a 1950ish Unisaw. Most large tops are add ons or after market. You will be able to customize a top for what ever brand of saw you get. Grizzly's are suprisingly good values. Also consider Powermatic. In this economy all sorts of equipment is coming up for sale cheap. Power wise see if it's 3 phase. Nothing wrong with it unless you don't have 3ph.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,320

Quich check found these:

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/se...saw&catAbb=sss
Old 03-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
Wood Craftsman

Trade: High End Remodeling & Refurbishing
Rewards Points: 4,642
Lightbulb

Matt,

"UNISAW"!!!! 'GRIZZLY"!!!!!!.....let the battle begin...
You know what I would say, so I won't waist your time- go for the Unisaw- - or if you want to go a few notches up- Tannewitz - with a cast iron sliding table..... Grizz- how could you leave this out-
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/tls/2259282583.html $1000.00- I wish I lived in MI.....thats one hell of a deal!
Once you sample the sweet Cast Iron, there is no turning back.. Someone on another forum just bought a used Unisaw from the 70's and was blown away with how well it was constructed-made in the good old USA~

and to you guys that have the chicom saws,,,no offense- but there is no comparison-it's like night & day....untill you try them for yourself, you don't know what your missing....

just to give you some idea of the size (pic) Tom from OWWM- he did a fantastic job on the restoration...

B,
Attached Thumbnails
Time for a table saw-xj-tanny-1940.jpg  

Last edited by PrestigeR&D; 03-17-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:20 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Don't forget powermatic and jet are 15% off at the moment. Sale ends on the 21st I think.

Last edited by BCConstruction; 03-17-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Design/Build Remodeler
Rewards Points: 774

Used Unisaw I got mine for $800 (5 years old). I invested another 5 hours of time and $300 to make it the saw I really wanted.

Search for a used one - these things never die You would invest the time and upgrades/customization on a new one also.

Go used Unisaw

Da Vinci on the web or Da Vinci On Facebook
Old 03-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
Ciaos mitigator

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,290

I have a unisaw also. Great machine, wish I had one years ago. Be patient and you will find the deal.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:26 PM   #10
Pro

Thanks to everyone for the replies and the links !! I checked craigslist and didn't find anything, but that's because I searched 'cabinet saw' like a dingdong!

I can't do 3phase, don't have it here. But I did send the other 2 w/ the single phase 1 1/2hp ones an email. Hope I can grab one of them!!

Thanks again, kind of excited!

Brian, I would completely love to restore one of those. That would be soooo fun and rewarding! I wish I had more space ! I recently went to a GM plant auction for a GM plant that shut down near me. You should of seen the 3 Tannewitz saws they had ! 2 bandsaws- not just bandsaws, these were BANDSAWS!! Holy huge! Then they had a Tannewitz table saw that was also HUGE! Wish I had more room because I can totaly appreciate how incredibly fun that would be. When I saw them I instantly thought you would be disappointed in me for letting them go!

They also auctioned off a Unisaw that was a 3phase, 5hp w/ a Biesimeyer fence. I bid up to $500 and quit because I'd have had to find a motor and didn't even know what I was in for, how hard it would be to replace a 3phase 5hp motor w/ a single phase. It was in excellent condition and sold for like $550 or something (I was 2nd to last bidder)! Probably should've just bought that one!

Last edited by mattsk8; 03-17-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:33 PM   #11
Pro

One more question, do I get the 3hp model w/ the 30" fence, or get the 1 1/2hp model w/ the 52" fence? Leaning towards the 3hp one just because I have limited space but that 52" fence sure would be nice...!
Old 03-18-2011, 06:13 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: interior remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,664

I've had a Grizzly with a 52 inch fence for about 5 years now. I like it and the wide fence is worth having. Sure speeds up cutting cabinet sides and backs.

Grizzlys service and parts are a BIG plus. ---Mike---
Old 03-18-2011, 06:29 AM   #13
Ciaos mitigator

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,290

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeswoods
I've had a Grizzly with a 52 inch fence for about 5 years now. I like it and the wide fence is worth having. Sure speeds up cutting cabinet sides and backs.

Grizzlys service and parts are a BIG plus. ---Mike---
I agree. The bigger fence is great.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:02 AM   #14
Wood Craftsman

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsk8 View Post
Thanks to everyone for the replies and the links !! I checked craigslist and didn't find anything, but that's because I searched 'cabinet saw' like a dingdong!

I can't do 3phase, don't have it here. But I did send the other 2 w/ the single phase 1 1/2hp ones an email. Hope I can grab one of them!!

Thanks again, kind of excited!

Brian, I would completely love to restore one of those. That would be soooo fun and rewarding! I wish I had more space ! I recently went to a GM plant auction for a GM plant that shut down near me. You should of seen the 3 Tannewitz saws they had ! 2 bandsaws- not just bandsaws, these were BANDSAWS!! Holy huge! Then they had a Tannewitz table saw that was also HUGE! Wish I had more room because I can totally appreciate how incredibly fun that would be. When I saw them I instantly thought you would be disappointed in me for letting them go!

They also auctioned off a Unisaw that was a 3phase, 5hp w/ a Biesimeyer fence. I bid up to $500 and quit because I'd have had to find a motor and didn't even know what I was in for, how hard it would be to replace a 3phase 5hp motor w/ a single phase. It was in excellent condition and sold for like $550 or something (I was 2nd to last bidder)! Probably should've just bought that one!
Matt,
Don't worry about the 3ph,,, VFD- problem solved or RPC - not a problem- the VFD for the 3hp will run $250.00 with all the bells I whistles inc. Very simple to hook up... you would love it....
If you get the 5hp Tanny- $450.00 for the VFD ....

If you get a single phase motor replacement... you might as well get a Chicom saw Matt.... 3 ph are WAY more efficient than single ph- hence all quality ind/com machinery is 3ph.....

Don't let 3ph get in the way - minor problem that is easily resolved.

Do you or can you get a 220 line in your shop... any available bays in your service panel?

If you don't get the OWWM TS and go new make sure the motor has both 110 & 220 options. You don't want to run a TS on 110 if you have the option for 220v... - you will get 110v resaults...

I say bite the bullet... I know it may be a little scary... but do it- get the Uni- but if it were me..."Tannewitz". for $1500.00 you have the bad ass of saws and new that saw would have set you back $9000.00 or better...

So,,,,
it's all up to you... but don't let 3ph get in the way... just be aware there is going to be an additional cost as I have stated above.

PS: That Tanny has been on e-bay and been there a while... you could go over there and probably make an offer of $700.00 cash and walk out of there with a deal of a lifetime,,, and it is... prices have dropped considerably on ind/com machinery because of the economy.

That is why I have 4000lbs of iron sitting in my garage right now. It was sickening how little I paid... I bought the best whiskey on the market for the seller (Dave) cause I really beat him up on the pricing... I really felt bad,,, still do,,, but I was doing him a favor they were sitting there for over 2 years and he could not get rid of them- but I still felt bad,,, he was happy, I was... end of story....

Good Luck... and grab your kahunas and go for it!!!!

oh,,,, Mikewoods.... I mean no disrespect to you or anyone else that has Chinese or Taiwan made saws... - I am strictly OWWM and I mean no disrespect to you or your saw , I am sure it works well and your a happy camper.....and thats all that matters... I just like the old American made machinery... and I will include German made as well,,,,,

One more thing,,,, "to hell with what I think Matt",,, maybe OWWM isn't for you.... you have to get what you feel comtorable with... I just am heavily emersed in OWWM.... and once you try it.,, you'll understand why.... it's an addiction....

B,

Last edited by PrestigeR&D; 03-18-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:38 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: interior remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,664

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigeR&D View Post
Matt,

I

oh,,,, Mikewoods.... I mean no disrespect to you or anyone else that has Chinese or Taiwan made saws... - I am strictly OWWM and I mean no disrespect to you or your saw , I am sure it works well and your a happy camper.....and thats all that matters... I just like the old American made machinery... and I will include German made as well,,,,,

B,

None taken----It has filled my needs and my budget.

You know I love the magnificent old iron----Mike----
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeswoods For This Useful Post:
PrestigeR&D (03-18-2011)
Old 03-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #16
Pro

Strongly considering this one: http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/tls/2251660977.html

Get it w/ the 52" fence and he said he'd throw in the mobile base for an extra 70$. Good decision? Also, what do I look for when I check it out? The guy said it was in decent shape but he sounded a little hesitant. He said it vibrates a little but he thinks it's the belts because it sat for 6 months. Anything that's problematic that I should definately check out on a Unisaw? It was made in '87.

I also told him I was a bit concerned that it was a 1 1/2hp motor. Should I be? Think this will be fine or should I hold out for a 3hp one?

Thanks again for all the info!!

Last edited by mattsk8; 03-18-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Matt,
Don't worry about the 3ph,,, VFD- problem solved or RPC - not a problem- the VFD for the 3hp will run $250.00 with all the bells I whistles inc. Very simple to hook up... you would love it....
If you get the 5hp Tanny- $450.00 for the VFD ....
Thanks, that opens a lot of doors! Now I definately should've picked up the Unisaw from the GM plant !

Quote:
Do you or can you get a 220 line in your shop... any available bays in your service panel?
I already have 220 !

Quote:
I say bite the bullet... I know it may be a little scary... but do it- get the Uni- but if it were me..."Tannewitz". for $1500.00 you have the bad ass of saws and new that saw would have set you back $9000.00 or better...
So that link for the Tannewitz on craigslist, you've definately peaked my interest. I only have 2 concerns. The size of it (my shop now is only 24x24), and what's the 18" mean? Is that an 18" blade? If so I'll bet those are a pretty penny !! Where do you even find one?
Old 03-19-2011, 02:19 PM   #18
Wood Craftsman

Arrow

Matt 18" blade...$ http://www.bladesllc.com/PT-rip-ftg.html .. that saw rocks Matt, balls like you would not believe..

It's no toy.. My suggestion to you is go check it out in person.... you really should. I would if I was in your shoes... plus they probably can hook it up so you can test it out..

Just keep in mind you will need an RPC or VFD for the conversion to 3ph,,, the VFD will run $4-$500.00 - RPC- Talk with Darce,,, (Warner) or you can go used with either. And of coarse a nice 52" FENCE .

B,

Advertisement

Last edited by PrestigeR&D; 03-19-2011 at 02:37 PM.