Throw Money At The Bottlenecks - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Throw Money At The Bottlenecks

Old 09-10-2020, 08:11 AM   #1
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 16

Throw Money At The Bottlenecks

I remember reading that here on CT a few years ago. Have taken that advice many times since & it's time once again to throw money at a couple bottlenecks.

Been a crazy busy year, which means no time to spend the profits. To the point I was told this week, better spend some money or pay the Govt come tax season.

We've started marketing & self promoting the cabinet/woodworking side of our business & it's paying off. The last several jobs, have had 50 plus doors per kitchen. A couple of my bottlenecks have been a shortage of clamps on the big jobs. And I've got a lot of clamps. Every time I start glueing up door parts or doors, I seem to have to clean off a bench. Time waster.

We also do a lot of edge gluing of solid wood, whether that be for stair treads, skirt boards, or cabinet door panels. So here's my solutions.

First is a door squaring clamp
Applying glue to rail & stiles is also a time sink unless there's 2 of us. So I'm going to add this glue applier to our herd.

To solve our edge gluing bottlenecks, I'm going to add this clamp station.

Still want to add a face frame table, but that's gonna have to wait till the next big cabinet job to pay for it.

Last edited by pinwheel; 09-10-2020 at 08:16 AM.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
AustinDB (09-11-2020), Big Johnson (09-10-2020), BillD (09-14-2020), Dirtywhiteboy (09-11-2020), griz (09-10-2020), hdavis (09-10-2020), KAP (09-10-2020), META (09-10-2020), rblakes1 (09-10-2020), SouthonBeach (09-12-2020), wallmaxx (09-10-2020)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-10-2020, 08:29 AM   #2
Focusing on solutions.

Re: Throw Money At The Bottlenecks

My answer to applying edgebanding on cabinet shelves has been a clothes iron. I don't do enough edge banding to warrant an automated edge bander. So I recently added this hand held bander. Only been able to use it a couple time so far, but it's really sped up my process & eliminated my hatred of prepping shelves.

Advertisement

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
Big Johnson (09-10-2020), Dirtywhiteboy (09-11-2020), hdavis (09-10-2020), KAP (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 09:32 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: residential remodeling/construction
Rewards Points: 2,125

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel View Post
My answer to applying edgebanding on cabinet shelves has been a clothes iron. I don't do enough edge banding to warrant an automated edge bander. So I recently added this hand held bander. Only been able to use it a couple time so far, but it's really sped up my process & eliminated my hatred of prepping shelves.

The Festool Bander could be a stepping stone before edge bander.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2020, 10:21 AM   #4
Focusing on solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescraft View Post
The Festool Bander could be a stepping stone before edge bander.
already posted my solution to my problem. No need to buy something else at this point.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:38 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Design/Build Remodeler
Rewards Points: 28

Pin, I'm trying to figure out the differences in the edge banding guns. Not sure I see the difference between the E and the F?

Da Vinci on the web or Da Vinci On Facebook
Old 09-10-2020, 12:02 PM   #6
Focusing on solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVinciRemodel View Post
Pin, I'm trying to figure out the differences in the edge banding guns. Not sure I see the difference between the E and the F?
Voltage. The cheaper one is 230 volt. The other is 110 volt. Not sure why that makes that much difference. EU voltage is 230 I believe, so I'm not sure if the machine would even work on our system.

The other difference, E is the one I bought, the side plate can be removed & a different plate put in it's place so I can band rabits or up agains a shoulder.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:57 AM   #7
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 1,718

Quote:
EU voltage is 230 I believe, so I'm not sure if the machine would even work on our system.
is it more like an iron or does it contain complicated electronics? I would guess a fancy iron would have no trouble moving between 50hz and 60hz voltage but a control system may have for difficulty.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:53 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 2,258

Quote:
the side plate can be removed & a different plate put in it's place so I can band rabits or up agains a shoulder.
Ran a Virutex EB-30 for quite a while, Eternal Biotch to keep adjusted. Thought about that unit after downsizing, but went with the glue pot PEB250 instead. Had run into too many wish there was more glue on the tape issues. But that was on doors and what I call IKEA boards.

Your unit might be a good quick start repair-field applicator for me.

How well does the edgeband track over long runs?
Old 09-12-2020, 08:44 AM   #9
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 8,934

Randy, call me, I will help you spend all types of money

Advertisement