Thinking About A Domino - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Thinking About A Domino

Old 01-27-2016, 01:25 PM   #1

Trade: Remodeling,Framing and Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 148

Thinking About A Domino

I have been really frustrated with my biscuit jointer. After reading some on this site and online I have been looking at a Domino but it is a substantial investment by the time I buy the tool and a set of the dominos to get started. I see that they have basically two models. Which one do I want? I assume I will use it mainly for the same applications I use my plate jointer for ( aligning glue ups for panels, trim, etc.) What are some of the advantages (besides its a Festool) that you guys have seen in going the domino route? Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-27-2016, 01:42 PM   #2
World's Tallest Midget

Trade: Concrete
Rewards Points: 1,580

Re: Thinking About A Domino

If you're replacing a biscuit joiner the DF500 will be plenty. It's the smaller one.

Advantages: It's more than just alignment, they actually add strength.

Disadvantage: Cost and you have to use a vacuum (can't just deal with the chips for a quick mortise, it'll mess up the cutter)

Advertisement

Old 01-27-2016, 01:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
If you're replacing a biscuit joiner the DF500 will be plenty. It's the smaller one.

Advantages: It's more than just alignment, they actually add strength.

Disadvantage: Cost and you have to use a vacuum (can't just deal with the chips for a quick mortise, it'll mess up the cutter)
Do I have to buy Festools vac of can I use any shop vac? Would be nice to be able to use what I have for a while. cost wise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2016, 01:52 PM   #4
Hack

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 320

For the Domino you could use a standard shop vac hooked to an automatic switch.
That's just opinion though, other members may have different advice.
Charging tree fiddy per lineal BOB
Old 01-27-2016, 02:19 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 886

Any shop vac will work fine. Clearly it is more convenient to have it come on automatically but that can be accomplished with an ivac. www.ivacswitch.com

If you are using a non Festool vac, the Bosch VAC005 hose is an easy/cheap way to get a 16' hose with the correct end to fit tightly on the domino.

The end doesn't look like the pic, it looks just like the end on a 27mm Festool hose, just not quite as nice rubber quality: http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-VAC005-5...eywords=vac005
The Following User Says Thank You to GregB For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (01-28-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 04:58 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcook1979 View Post
I have been really frustrated with my biscuit jointer. After reading some on this site and online I have been looking at a Domino but it is a substantial investment by the time I buy the tool and a set of the dominos to get started. I see that they have basically two models. Which one do I want? I assume I will use it mainly for the same applications I use my plate jointer for ( aligning glue ups for panels, trim, etc.) What are some of the advantages (besides its a Festool) that you guys have seen in going the domino route? Thanks
Is the problem the biscuit joiner or the biscuits? The makita biscuit joiner is very nice and accurate. Switch to lamello biscuits much more consistent.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joemack1 For This Useful Post:
Justin Huisenga (01-27-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 08:42 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Finishing Carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,120

For the stuff I use it for I'd just as well have a biscuit joiner.

But theres usually a couple times a month it really shines. I had to join a section of handrail together. I scarfed it and put 2 domino's in, fit was very good. Saved time vs installing a zip bolt.

I also had to join 3 4x4's intersecting with each other. Very fast/easy/strong.

If I ever have to install continuous 1 1/2" round handrail again this thing will be a godsend.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:21 PM   #8
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 10,368

What brand biscuit jointer are you using?
Old 01-27-2016, 11:40 PM   #9

I have a dewalt. I've had it for awhile
Old 01-28-2016, 12:29 AM   #10
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 10,368

Get a Lamello. Night and day.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:08 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: General & Electrical Contracting
Rewards Points: 468

Thinking I'll need to get the Domino XL DF 700. I only have one door to make but it's a 12'-6" x 18'-6" sliding "barn" door. I've only approached two custom door shops but one wasn't interested and the other was saying it would be $4500 +.

I could just bolt it together (how such a door is normally made, I'm guessing) but I'd like for it to have a more finished appearance. The Domino system looks like the obvious choice.

If shop built, it would be a trick to transport as a rack would have to be built to transport it on a trailer. On an 8' wide trailer, it would be almost 10' at 50 degrees angle.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:16 PM   #12
Livin the dream...

Trade: Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 5,514

If you do a lot of custom trim carpentry you'll wonder what you ever did with out it. If you don't do a lot you'll wonder why you wasted the money on it.

For the first year I was in business it would have been useless to me. After I got heavy into custom carpentry it's been very valuable.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:42 PM   #13
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 6,848

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgencon View Post
Thinking I'll need to get the Domino XL DF 700. I only have one door to make but it's a 12'-6" x 18'-6" sliding "barn" door. I've only approached two custom door shops but one wasn't interested and the other was saying it would be $4500 +.

I could just bolt it together (how such a door is normally made, I'm guessing) but I'd like for it to have a more finished appearance. The Domino system looks like the obvious choice.

If shop built, it would be a trick to transport as a rack would have to be built to transport it on a trailer. On an 8' wide trailer, it would be almost 10' at 50 degrees angle.
Thats the beauty of a domino, get it right in the shop, disassemble and put back together onsite. Dominoes can be used to make a snug fit and reworked into perfection as long as they're not glued.

Maybe I'm the only one but I've used mine a bunch without a vac when I didn't feel like grabbing it for 2 or 3 joints. Cutter is fine. I wouldn't make a habit of it but it still works.

Fein makes a good vac for it for much cheaper without a hepa filter for like $200. I think its the turbo II.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:11 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

I have used my domino on Pergolas, decks, doors, stairs, cabinets and numerous other random bits here and there. I even used it on my Kreg foreman to make holes for brackets.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:13 PM   #15
Pro

Went to order the XL DF 700 from Bob Marino but it is backordered. I decided to spring for the CT 36 autoclean unless someone talks me out of it.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:15 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Went to order the XL DF 700 from Bob Marino but it is backordered. I decided to spring for the CT 36 autoclean unless someone talks me out of it.

What you using the AC vac for?
Old 02-01-2016, 09:19 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCConstruction View Post
What you using the AC vac for?
Primarily (maybe even exclusively) for the said XL DF 700.

Why?
Old 02-01-2016, 09:25 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Primarily (maybe even exclusively) for the said XL DF 700.

Why?

I wouldn't get the AC then unless you think you will be using it in drywall and concrete. AC is no good for sawdust.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:26 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Finish carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,740

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcook1979 View Post
I have a dewalt. I've had it for awhile
The DeWalt has 2 notorious problems. It cuts cocked slots because the fence isn't parallel to the cutter and the slots are too tight. There is no fix for the fence but you can make the slots looser. Pull the cutter and put a small piece of a feeler gauge between the blade and the arbor washer and crank it all back down. The feeler gauge shims introduces runout to the cutter and it loosens the slots up like a wobble dado.

A lot of the problems with biscuit machines are user error. When you line up on the cut mark lean the tool back by the handle, line up to the mark and pivot the tool so the fence hits the work. The other problem in trim work is the fence diving into a back relief causing the tool to cut cocked slots or inadequate support for the fence on a miter. The attached pic is one of the supports I use for casing. It solves both problems.

For the tasks you mentioned I grab a biscuit joiner instead of a Domino. The Domino has use in trim but a biscuit machine will usually be faster and just as accurate. For panel alignment the Domino is slower, the consumables are more expensive, and the fit of the fastener is tighter requiring more time to put parts together. If I had to own one or the other only I'd only own a biscuit joiner.

Buy a different joiner and check it with calipers when you get it. Like Aaron said, switch to Lamello biscuits instead of the ones purchased at a box store.
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking about a Domino-biscuit-jig.jpg  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Huisenga For This Useful Post:
Joemack1 (02-01-2016), Spencer (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 09:28 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCConstruction View Post
I wouldn't get the AC then unless you think you will be using it in drywall and concrete. AC is no good for sawdust.
Good to know. Next question. CT 36 or 48?

Does the "E" indicate an autostart feature?

Advertisement

Last edited by txgencon; 02-01-2016 at 09:31 PM. Reason: autostart question