Thickness Planer Recommendations - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Thickness Planer Recommendations

Old 02-25-2014, 08:21 PM   #1

Trade: FinishCarpenter/framer/restoration
Rewards Points: 75

Thickness Planer Recommendations

Im looking for thickness planer advice. Ive always had access to a 15 inch Jet thickness planer.Recently with some remodel work ive realized that i need a portable one. Ive heard bad stuff about alot of the brands but im looking for firsthand advice. Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: renovation carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,990

Re: Thickness Planer Recommendations

My Delta self destructed a short time ago, and I looked into a lot of them , pro's and con's. Tool re-views etc.
I will be purchasing the Dewalt four poster when I need it.
You can get spiral cutters, but I'm just going to get the plain blades.
I think that the built -in fan will be a bonus on site.

Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014, 08:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.D.R. View Post
My Delta self destructed a short time ago, and I looked into a lot of them , pro's and con's. Tool re-views etc.
I will be purchasing the Dewalt four poster when I need it.
You can get spiral cutters, but I'm just going to get the plain blades.
I think that the built -in fan will be a bonus on site.

My Neighbor has that four poster and after 300 or so board feet of pine his four post get gummed up with the chain that raise and lowers.Its a quick clean out with the 4 screws holding to top on.His blower on that is crazy powerful.shoots the chips about 8 feet.Its nice but its about 95 pounds. was it and older or newer delta?
The Following User Says Thank You to ADKCarpenter For This Useful Post:
B.D.R. (02-25-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014, 09:20 PM   #4
Pro

My brother has one as well. he loves it.
It has the same motor as the two post,
Old 02-25-2014, 09:26 PM   #5

dose he ever have issues with the blades not holding up?
Old 02-25-2014, 09:39 PM   #6
Tall Moose

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 179

I've got the DW734. Works awesome hooked up to a festool CT26 with a dust deputy cyclone on top of it. Never had any issues with it other than the rear dust chute being flimsy.

I will however be buying a dw735 with a spiral cutter shortly. I don't find the blades on my DW734 last terribly long, and they are rather pricey around these parts.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepean GC View Post
I've got the DW734. Works awesome hooked up to a festool CT26 with a dust deputy cyclone on top of it. Never had any issues with it other than the rear dust chute being flimsy.

I will however be buying a dw735 with a spiral cutter shortly. I don't find the blades on my DW734 last terribly long, and they are rather pricey around these parts.
Thanks for the heads up on the blades. I have a sprial cutterhead on a jet planer.couldnt justify putting that kind of cutterhead on a portable tho...
Old 02-25-2014, 09:48 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Finish carpentry and millwork
Rewards Points: 85

I've mostly used Dewalt portables and have had no real issues. Odds are the straight blades will be good enough unless you plan on running highly figured material, as long as they are kept sharp.
We put helical heads on the jointer and planer in the shop I'm in now and it made a HUGE difference both in what came out the other end as well as the noise. These are old Whitney and Oliver machines, so not really an apples to apples comparison.
I'd be interested in what kind of a difference the helical heads make in a portable planer.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exlud View Post
I've mostly used Dewalt portables and have had no real issues. Odds are the straight blades will be good enough unless you plan on running highly figured material, as long as they are kept sharp.
We put helical heads on the jointer and planer in the shop I'm in now and it made a HUGE difference both in what came out the other end as well as the noise. These are old Whitney and Oliver machines, so not really an apples to apples comparison.
I'd be interested in what kind of a difference the helical heads make in a portable planer.
With how dewalt portables are screamers it would nice to see a noise reduction, Ive been looking at a helical head for the jointer lately.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:52 PM   #10
Tall Moose

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 179

Yea, I dunno, I'm tired of throwing the blades away. Though from an efficiency standpoint, I'd bet it will take me more time to rotate cutters on a spiral cutter head than re/re disposable blades. Good news is that you can flip them once, and changing them is pretty bloody quick.

Forgot to mention, the DW734 suffers from some noticeable snipe if you use the stock infeed/outfeed tables. I copied a setup that a youtuber by the name of 'halfinchshy' built. works excellently. Just search his videos for snipe, and you'll find it.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:59 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Though from an efficiency standpoint, I'd bet it will take me more time to rotate cutters on a spiral cutter head than re/re disposable blades. .
It does take a LOT more time, and you need to be fairly meticulous about it. If the area where the blades are seated are not totally clean, they are likely to break when you tighten them. Or worse, when the machine is running. On the plus side, when you notice a chipped area, you can just rotate the effected blades.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:01 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKCarpenter View Post
With how dewalt portables are screamers it would nice to see a noise reduction, Ive been looking at a helical head for the jointer lately.
Try Byrd Tool. I think they make heads for anything out there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Exlud For This Useful Post:
ADKCarpenter (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 10:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Yea, I dunno, I'm tired of throwing the blades away. Though from an efficiency standpoint, I'd bet it will take me more time to rotate cutters on a spiral cutter head than re/re disposable blades. Good news is that you can flip them once, and changing them is pretty bloody quick.

Forgot to mention, the DW734 suffers from some noticeable snipe if you use the stock infeed/outfeed tables. I copied a setup that a youtuber by the name of 'halfinchshy' built. works excellently. Just search his videos for snipe, and you'll find it.
I have that same infeed/outfeed table on an old ryobi 10 inch .works but the blades are 45 for a set of hss blades single sided...
Old 02-25-2014, 10:40 PM   #14
Pro

I still have my Ryobi 10". It works well. 20 yrs old
I'm trying to sell it for $50. though.
It only costs $10 bucks to sharpen the blades.
Can't hook it up to my dust collector.

Last edited by B.D.R.; 02-25-2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:25 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Remodel/Deck
Rewards Points: 1,754

The DeWalt 735 is a great little planer. If you don't want to spring for helical cutterhead, try the HSS blades from Infinity Cutting Tools. Vastly better!

I use mine mostly in the shop, but when I take it with me, I have a dust collection hood also from DeWalt. Basically it's a 4" hose with a fabric hood that stretches over a trash can. Works really well

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rustbucket For This Useful Post:
ADKCarpenter (02-26-2014), B.D.R. (02-27-2014)