Tesla Powerwall - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Tesla Powerwall

Old 05-02-2015, 07:30 AM   #1

Trade: trim work and mouldings
Rewards Points: 118

Tesla Powerwall

http://www.teslamotors.com/powerwall

I read up about tesla's new powerwall and I was wondering if you could stick that battery (or multiple batteries) in a trailer and replace a generator for a small crew? the fact that its zero emissions and doesn't make any noise is appealing and when you return home you can just recharge it.

Im just wondering how much power 2 skillsaw and a compressor can use during a day of framing. or maybe its enough to power a block heater for a telehandler overnight?

Im wondering what you guys think of the powerwall and if you see a use for it for construction work.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2015, 08:17 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling and handyman
Rewards Points: 967

Re: Tesla Powerwall

What's the cost/benefit ratio? I'm sure this thing will cost much more up front than a generator. You'll recoup the difference in gas savings eventually, but how long?

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2015, 08:37 AM   #3

the device wil lbe around 3500 for the big battery, I don't really know what size a equivalent generator would be, but lets say its around 1000-1500 dollar, it would take quite a bit of fuel to recoup the cost.

i think the main interest is the easy setup on site (no need to take it out of the trailer, no need to fill it with fuel/carry fuel/check fuel regularly) and less constant noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2015, 08:47 AM   #4
Pro

Looks like a neat idea, wouldn't be worth it for us though. We've only done one remodel in the past 2 years that needed a generator.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:52 AM   #5
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 10,090

F that. You might as well plaster your tool trailer with pv's too. It's a step in the right direction, but batteries for home power still have a long way to go.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:06 AM   #6
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 86

Quote:
Power
2.0 kW continuous, 3.3 kW peak
When's the last time you saw a construction crew using a 2kW gas generator? And you'd also need to buy an inverter.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:43 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 11,292

If it works like they say it eventually will, it will be a game changer. A whole house battery that you could charge with a small solar panel. Goodbye electric company.

I can see a future where we no longer need a hard wired power grid.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:04 AM   #8
CAD Services

Trade: So done with this place...
Rewards Points: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pako View Post
http://www.teslamotors.com/powerwall

I read up about tesla's new powerwall and I was wondering if you could stick that battery (or multiple batteries) in a trailer and replace a generator for a small crew? the fact that its zero emissions and doesn't make any noise is appealing and when you return home you can just recharge it.

Im just wondering how much power 2 skillsaw and a compressor can use during a day of framing. or maybe its enough to power a block heater for a telehandler overnight?

Im wondering what you guys think of the powerwall and if you see a use for it for construction work.
Be careful with that. It may be zero emissions at your jobsite, but somewhere the electricity to charge the system is being made by transforming one form of potential energy, (coal, moving water, nuclear) into another form of energy.

The transfer of energy states creates heat and often additional matter. pssst...CO2 isn't the enemy like people say. Carbon Monoxide...now that's the killa.
The Following User Says Thank You to wallmaxx For This Useful Post:
ScipioAfricanus (05-02-2015)
Old 05-02-2015, 11:05 AM   #9
CAD Services

It would be very cool if every home started to come with a whole house battery system as standard building practice. It would make for a much more stable electrical grid.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallmaxx View Post
Be careful with that. It may be zero emissions at your jobsite, but somewhere the electricity to charge the system is being made by transforming one form of potential energy, (coal, moving water, nuclear) into another form of energy.

The transfer of energy states creates heat and often additional matter. pssst...CO2 isn't the enemy like people say. Carbon Monoxide...now that's the killa.
oh yea I know that. I was saying zero emissions as in you cant run a generator or a gas powered tool indoor but batteries are fine
The Following User Says Thank You to Pako For This Useful Post:
wallmaxx (05-02-2015)
Old 05-02-2015, 01:15 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Railing
Rewards Points: 689

Another option might be to run a near quiet small generator like the camping types. Then run it to a series of car batteries, and then run an inverter from there. The batteries would handle the high surges, & the generator would be in a constant charge mode. You could charge up the batts overnight at home for morning job start. The fuel consumption would be very low, as would be the noise, which to me I always found to be exhausting.
It wouldn't be practical for replacing a large compressor on site, but would probably be adequate for saws & such.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:25 PM   #12
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 10,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
Another option might be to run a near quiet small generator like the camping types. Then run it to a series of car batteries, and then run an inverter from there. The batteries would handle the high surges, & the generator would be in a constant charge mode. You could charge up the batts overnight at home for morning job start. The fuel consumption would be very low, as would be the noise, which to me I always found to be exhausting.
It wouldn't be practical for replacing a large compressor on site, but would probably be adequate for saws & such.

I wonder if anyone has actually tried that with a big bank of deep cycles and a small inverter generator just running a charger on the batteries? Probably a very pricey setup to do it right.
Old 05-02-2015, 02:03 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
I wonder if anyone has actually tried that with a big bank of deep cycles and a small inverter generator just running a charger on the batteries? Probably a very pricey setup to do it right.

Not to mention heavy. You'd need a ton of batteries to handle the current draw of multiple tools.
Old 05-02-2015, 02:15 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement/handyman
Rewards Points: 6,486

Using one 120vac Skilsaw for an hour might average to 1.5 kwh of energy. The avg. US house takes ~9000 kwh/yr.

Last edited by GettingBy; 05-02-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:37 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

I still think battery tech ain't quite there yet. In another 10years I think it may be but right now they are unstable and expensive. But when the battery capacity is there and stable I think it's gonna be a game changer. Just like their cars. Them things are seriously powerful but lack range and battery life span. Once the tech gets there though I would have no issue buying a battery truck. I'm amazed trucks ain't happened before cars though. They gave the capacity and the room to store a massive battery and still have great payload.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:12 PM   #16
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 2,937

It's just a battery. No DC to AC inverter included.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 05-03-2015, 12:26 AM   #17
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 296

I've built homes fdn to finish on less than 20 KWH of electricity. So the capacity is not an issue.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:41 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Just read some more about them. 220lbs and real big for only a 2kw continuos output.

You can get that tiny Honda genny that can do that and is super quite for way less money and it will keep supplying power as long as it has fuel in it. This this will be flat at the end of a day even with the larger model.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:50 AM   #19
Future Post Deleter...

Trade: Nothing
Rewards Points: 1,092

I'm in the process of building off grid on some property I own. Was going to start with a solar and batteries and adjust as needed. Will cost thousands to get power back there why not try solar.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #20
CAD Services

The reporter said they start at $3500.

http://www.wired.com/2015/05/get-tes...ysics-explain/

Advertisement